where did you meet your spouse?

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Fluffhead, May 20, 2004.

1. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Warning: gay material ahead

Although my partner and I went to law school at the same time, we did not meet there. We first met at the Boathouse bar in the fall of 1983, but it did not take (and I had no recollection of it until reminded of it later). He asked me to dance but I declined saying that it was only because I didn't like to dance, which was basically true. A few seconds later a former roommate's ex-wife walked by and we were somewhat surprised to see each other there. I forgot about the guy who had just asked me to dance although he was standing right beside me, and I talked to my friend's ex for quite awhile. I eventually ran out of things to say so I asked her to dance, which we did, leaving my future partner bewildered and shattered.

My future partner and I met again at Dirty Sally's late on a Thursday night in the spring of 1984. He asked me if I had gone to law school at UT saying he thought he recognized me from school. The law school part caught my attention and we sat and talked. The bar closed, and we went outside and hugged each other goodnight. It was the most genuine feeling hug I had ever received, and I spent a good part of the next day at work trying to remember his name and to figure out how I could get back in touch with him. I shouldn't have worried though because he called me Friday night. We started dating and fell in love. About six months later he refreshed my memory of our first meeting at the Boathouse, and we had a good laugh.

We've had our ups and downs over the years, but hey, we're still here.

2. evil horn

evil horn 100+ Posts

a thread that's three years old. and supercool. jealous of y'all. and question: is anybody that posted on it now separated or divorced?

(ducks)

3. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

I can't BELIEVE I've beaten TexasFirefighter to this thrad. Let's start at the end ... we got married two weeks ago, June 18th. Best day of my life.

We met about three and a half years ago. One of my groomsmen was (still is) a fellow engineer at Dell, and he invited me out one night to see X-Men I, with his group of friends (I think he had one in from out of town, so the old group was getting together). Anyhow, I met the group, and she was the only girl in a group of about five guys, and had been throughout their friendship. The coolest girls are the ones that can hang with the guys. We all went to dinner after the movie, and I had my game 100% on. Laughing at jokes, touching her arm, being funny, I really thought I was doing well. We went to bennigans, and as everyone was ordering their drinks, she let's fly with "homer no function beer well without," from (obvs) the Simpsons. I was hooked. She, however, was non-impressed. Also, she was in the middle of Firefighter Academy at the time, and (so she says) had no time for a relationship at the time. I'm pretty sure I wasn't all that impressive, either [​IMG].

A year goes by. My same buddy (who is by now my roommate up in Round Rock) tells me later that he tried to set her and I up at least twice during that year, but she said that she couldn't date someone younger and shorter than she (I'm both). We're throwing a party for our new (third) roommate, and we invite her to come over. She's missed all the rest of our parties, but for some reason decided to show at this one. I danced with her, gave her a high five, and felt her leg (yes, I'm THAT damn smooth). I also overindulged, and nothing really went on that night. However, she sent us a random email the next day, just "saying thanks for a good time". I replied, and asked her out. Our first date was to the Sinus Show at the Drafthouse.

I wasn't sure that we were even on a date, so the whole night I was stupid, just retarded. I felt like I had no game whatsoever, but she tells me later that she fell for me that night, because of how much I talked about my family. At the end of the night, I threw some Top Gun game at her - she wanted me to kiss her, and I wanted to kiss her, and I just walked away. It worked, and we went out again two days later, and have been basically inseperable ever since.

She's truly my best friend. we're gonna be great parents.

4. GrooveDog

GrooveDog < 25 Posts

I first met my wife in the 5th grade. The first day she walked in I was smitten with this beautiful girl with the long dark hair. I went home that day and told my Mom "I met the most beautiful girl in the world today". We became great friends and grew up living less than a mile apart, and riding the bus to school each day together. During our high school years I was a social retard and scared to ask her out for fear of it not working out and losing her as a friend......long story short, she married another guy right out of high school, and I married a few years later. After failed marriages we both found each other again 4 years ago. We have been inseperable ever since and were married almost 2 months ago. It's the best feeling in the world to marry your best friend, and the girl you have loved your whole life.

We are both 48 years old, so it's been a very long time since that pretty girl walked into my 5th grade class.....but my heart still skips a beat every time I see her, and I thank God each day she's finally mine !

5. whickums

whickums 250+ Posts

Simple, boring story.

Small town stuff. We knew of each other, dating each other's friends. Our best friends were dating each other during my sophomore year/his junior year of HS and we were all in pre-calculus together. They got us to "group date" at his house one night- we watched "Dance With Me" with Vanessa Williams. I don't remember a thing about the movie but I remember all the other details. That was 7 years ago last April 2nd, and we've been attached at the hip ever since. Just got married March 31.

6. Gardner Barnes

Gardner Barnes 250+ Posts

I picked up my wife and Cain and Ables in 1995 on the last day of her sorority rush. Her pledge class came out to get drunk and i was really good friends with a lot of girls in her pledge class.

I was working on her friend most of the night. After about 3 hours of getting the heisman, i despondetly sat down next to my future wife and noticed she had a nice rack.

So I offered to buy her a drink and she asked for a double jack and coke. [​IMG]

Anyway, she was dating this phidelt tool that recently failed out of UT or somehting like that and was looking for a little wookie nookie.

She came back to my house and the rest is history

7. Kyrie Eleison

Kyrie Eleison 500+ Posts

We met at a bar during my first year of seminary.

No ****...I swear.

There was a bar in the basement of one of the buildings at Duke, and on Friday grad students got $2.50 pitchers. Us seminarians were by far the poorest of the poor graduate students, so we would scrap together quarters, the occasional buck or 2, and head on down for our one pitcher.

Her roommate, a classmate of mine who I hated (and she hated me, too...but we're now very good friends) brought her along that night and I instantly knew....don't know how, just did. Looking for my in, I started popping off about how great Texas is, garnering the laugh and high five of 3 fellow natives, and my now wife said something....can't remember. Anyway, I asked where she was from, and she said "Georgia."

"Georgia?!? Ain't a damn thing good come from Georgia."

"Hmmmph. I guess your pansy *** hasn't ever heard of the Allman Brothers?"

DING! DING! DING! We have a man down....Piper down...

And then I really knew. Had her agreeing to a date before she left.

We celebrated 11 years this past June, 2 boys and 1 on the way in August.

I am a very fortunate, blessed man (who's going to be a dead man if I don't get my *** home ASAP)....

8. BigLeonard

BigLeonard 100+ Posts

I graduated from UT in December of 2004. I went on my first deer hunting trip just before my finals preparation began. I had a Math final that I was terribly worried about because failing meant another semester. (I wish I had failed at this point...) I almost didnt go because of the damn final but I decided I was being a *****. Plus, I really wanted to shoot a deer! So I went. My brother and his buddy (who's family owned the ranch we were to be hunting on) were driving in from Dallas. I was, of course, driving in from Austin. I beat them by approximately 20 minutes. I sat in an Abilene parking lot while I waited on them. When they arrived we decided we'd have dinner at Abuelo's and then drinks at "The Zone." For those of you who know Abilene, "The Zone" is a definite ********. I was introduced to her then and we havent stopped talking since. Abilene doesnt exactly have a fine assortment of bars...but it defintely worked out for me. While the bar didnt suit either one of us, it is a good story.

9. swTXSU

swTXSU 100+ Posts

GB - You left out the farting part!

10. LongLiveBevo

LongLiveBevo 250+ Posts

We were fixed up. My friend had met him and he wasn't her type but she and I are polar opposites so she thought I would like him. My brother died in April and I broke up with my boyfriend of two years in June. The fixup came in August.

She told me all about him and arranged a get-to-know-you outing for the three of us. However, she didn't tell him it was a fixup. He later said he almost turned around several times because he wasn't that into her and had no interest in meeting her friends. But we all went out that night to the West End.

The next week he came to my mom's birthday party - which was all family - and got grilled by my dad. She was there too and we all went out to Deep Ellum after the party. I told him that night that we were fixed up.

We made a date for the following week and we talked on the phone every night until then - every night for a week for six hours each night. We talked from about 6 when I got off work until midnight, sometimes 8 to 2.

After that we were together. Dated for 5 years before we were married. So if you ask me how long we've been married, my answer is we've been together for 8 years. (I saw Samuel L. Jackson do it once in an interview.)

11. TexasFirefighter

TexasFirefighter 100+ Posts

12. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

In 1995 I was batending at the Flamingo Cantina on 6th street, and I had a hard and fast rule against dating girls I met at the bar, although hookups were permitted.

Anyway, this cute girl I hadn't seen before came up and ordered two Pacificos which I figured were for her and her friend, who was sort of a regular there, a reggae scene girl my sound guy had a thing for. So I comped the drinks, and decided to keep an eye on her.

3 comped rounds into the evening, we're sort of flirting, and then I have a second to watch where she goes with the drinks, and she's not taking them to her girl friend at all, but to some guy, some guy who can't be taller than 5'6", and they're dancing and presumably on a date.

So I decide this girl sucks. Not for being on a date, but for taking free drinks under false pretenses. And with that, I forget about her, and direct my energies otherwise.

Skip forward about three weeks. I'm working and it's about 11PM, and I'm expecting this other girl to show up who I've had a kind of thing going for a couple days, and tonight we close the deal. I'm expecting her to show at midnite, hangout until I close up (about 3:30), and then we "go out".

But then cute girl who takes free drinks for her date under false pretenses and scene girl show up. I don't really notice, though, until my sound guy says he has something working, and needs me to wing him so that we can get them to stay around after close, and maybe he can take scene girl to breakfast, if you catch my drift. I've got other plans, so no. Sound guy is pissed.

Midnite comes and goes. So does 1 AM. Then it's 1:30. I realize my date is a no show, and I am stood up. Pissed though I am, I agree to use this as a chance to pay some karmic bills and agree to fly wing for the sound guy.

I turn on the charm, the girls stay. We all go to the old Stars diner (now Starseeds Cafe). Then we go to the girls house.

I wait three days and then call her, breaking my own rule. I see her every day for two years after that.

Married in 1998, two daughters.

The girl who stood me up had a flat tire. The sound guy and the scene girl didn't make it past 5:30 that morning.

13. sanf81

sanf81 100+ Posts

I first met my wife at a friend's party in Lakeway. She was driving out from Austin and I was guiding her in over the telephone bc the friend who invited her did not know the exact directions. Although I was dating someone at the time, we spent a lot of time with each other at the party. I saw her again a few weeks later at another party (the same day I had broken up with my ex). Our first date was UT vs. UNT on 8/31/2002.

14. TexasWolf

TexasWolf 25+ Posts

I met Mrs. Wolf @ work (Big surprise!) five years ago. We've been married three very tough years. She miscarried our twins four years ago. She was in a car wreck with the twins at the time(didn't cause the miscarriage). My stepson was diagnosed with cancer at that time. Post chemo and radiation he beat it with no cancer left. He's working with ADD. Mrs.Wolf has had her tailbone removed, has a bilateral herniated disc, and recently recovered from a hysterectomy. Her ex pays little to no child support and worms out of his weekends with his son. Our two other children have had minor medical issues for the past year. She stays home with the kids all the time. Although we knew one us of being there for our kids was the best thing for their development, it has been hard financialy with one pay check. We've screamed and yelled over all kinds of things. I struggled getting over my bachelor days. However, I am so lucky I met my wife at work; married her; and have the greatest three kids in the world! I never been tested so hard and been rewarded so profoundly. I find myself embarassed about the crap I used whine about when I realize what my wife and kids have taught me. Sorry I got off topic but I couldn't help it. It makes our meeting at work such a great memory.

15. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

logans, 1997. i had a broken ankle, was in crutches and noticed her across the room. I bought a beer, went to her and told her she reminded me of something i couldn't quite figure out yet. this piqued her interest enough to "allow" me to sit down and all (broken ankle...cast and all). we began to talk over everyone and within 1 hour, she met my objective...of asking what is the most difficult thing about having a cast on my leg. i responeded with a delayed expression, took my time and said "cooking dinner".

we've been married 5 years, have a 3 year old boy and she still owes me that dinner.

16. diva

diva 25+ Posts

I met Sgt. Longhorn at school when I was in Kindergarten and he was in first grade. We have been married 12 years and have 3 beautiful girls. People trip when they find out we've know each other for 31 years.

17. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

I met my wife in the looney bin.

I was a technician and she ran the chemical dependancy program... but it is still fun to say we met in the looney bin.

18. HORN_FAN_86

HORN_FAN_86 100+ Posts

Met her in Hawaii. She was at a family picnic on Waikiki of all places. I was there on business and just bumped into her. We talked and found out her sister lived in Austin. Told her I lived in Ausitn before. Hung out some more and had dinner that night. Exchanged emails for a few months until my next trip to Hawaii. This went on for a few months until she took the trip back with me. Six years later we have to beautiful girls.

19. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris 25+ Posts

Met Mrs. Norris in undergrad at a small central texas college. She was a year behind me. We both had significant others (fiancee was a psychotic cheerleader - her boyfriend of 5 years a pain in the *** golfer from another school).

Background: My appendix ruptured during spring finals. While in the hospital I relaize "What the hell am i doing agreeing to marry this wack-job?" So I break it off and transfer to a different school. Transferred b/c wack job trashed my apartment, slashed the tires on my car, etc.

I come home after finals in December and see her at the bar. We had been casual friends before but knew about the other's attachments. I walk past her in the bar and she grabs my arm, "Where the hell have you been?" I fill her in on what happened, etc and ask where her boyfriend is. Her answer, "I don't have one anymore." At that very moment, honest to God, I knew I would marry her. We have been together since.

Married in August 2002 and moved to VA 2 weeks later for her to start her doctorate. In the 4 years, we've been married we have a Doctorate (hers), a masters (Mine) and two awesome little boys.

Turns out, she was forced to go to the bar that night by one of her friends. She had a final the next morning and being the studious lady she is didn't want to blow the exam.

I don't think I ever thanked her friend for making her go that night...I think I might send her some flowers or something.

20. BrntOrngBld

BrntOrngBld 25+ Posts

I had been teaching dance lessons at New West for three years. She all but clotheslined me asking, "What does a girl have to do to dance with you?" She was asking for her girlfriend to be taught. I knew after 7 days this was the girl for me and we stayed friends for a year until we started dating, engaged and were married in '90.

She knew how to dance and is still very good. Her girlfriend on the other hand still cannot dance, despite my laborious efforts to the contrary those years ago.

16 years next month and I am the luckiest man in the world, trust me on that one!

[​IMG]

21. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

Rifle range at UT Arlington (hence the moniker). She thought I was a slob and I thought she was a snob. We were both right and are still married after 26 years. I have no idea what she sees in me.

22. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

I moved to Anchorage for work in May of 80. She was working as a technical assistant, my first view was her sitting infront of a 56 baud teletype. We were among a group in our mid twenty's that socialized together, though she had a string of dork boyfriends. Come Christmas time, 30 below, we found ourselves at an industry party, slow dancing. Then followed "The Pines", a club with 2 bands, one right after the other, that never stopped. I ripped my pants on the dance floor that night, from St. Paul to Brownsville. Man, that was a cold ride home.

I always love Christmas.

23. BHud

BHud 250+ Posts

Lively Pool, in Irving, TX. Summer, 1988 I was there almost every day, from open to close, when I wasn't across the street at IRving High, in the weight room, or running 40s/200s.miles, etc....anyways.

I was on the high dive, and she made some kind of flippant comment...couldnt hear what she said.

I hit the water, and immediately confronted her...I was put out that I was getting grief from an incoming freshman, and I was gonna let her know.

We ended up doing, as the lifeguard said, "The orizontal mambo" behind some benches there. No, not sex....just innocent teenage kissing. anyways, she was 14, I was 16. We went out that night, had a great time....turned out she was cheating on her bf at the time. We later broke up, but kept in contact through the years. When I enter the Delayed Entry Program of the US Navy in Nov of 1994, we became very close again. When she came to see me during Boot Camp at Great Lakes, I asked her..well, really informed her that we would be getting married. That was in Juneish..we got married 8/11 in Meridian, MS before the JOP.....we didnt tell anyone, but did annoucne a "wedding date" for Dec 12th, where we got married at home, minister and all, friends cake the whole bit.

24. chitownbevo

chitownbevo < 25 Posts

About 7 years ago, before my 2nd year of b-school , we had an event out a bar to welcome the incoming first years. There was one hot first year that everyone was hitting on. I played it cool knowing most of these guys were total tools and to get a read on her. A drunk buddy of mine who was already engaged introduced her to me by saying "you should meet Chitown, he's a good guy, but he lost one his balls in a combine accident". She laughed at his idiocy and I knew she was the real deal. We were just friends for a while since she was way into school and not looking to have a boyfriend at school + I was also her TA/tutor in financial accounting. Finally, after her first semester at the school xmas blowout we finally hooked up. Dated for a couple years while we were in different time zones. Finally got married about 2.5 years ago and just had a baby boy. Fun times!

25. Surly Bevo

Surly Bevo 25+ Posts

Met my wife on New Year's Eve 95 on Bourbon Street post Virgina Tech Sugar Bowl debacle. She was actually hanging around another friend of mine and I was just pissed about the game and determined to drown my sorrows in a binge of underage drinking New Orleans style. Nothing worthy of Bourbon Street happened with her that night, as I ultimately ended up drunkenly wandering the streets of the N.O.(alone) until about 4:30 in the morning but in the weeks that followed we kind of kept talking and one thing lead to another. The lucky part is we can individually recount parties/events we had been to at the same time prior to the moment we met....and being that most of those encompassed my dumbass year (otherwise known as the freshman year) had we met it would have probably never gone anywhere. Graduated 98, married in 99, 3 kids.... life could not be better.

26. NightCrew

NightCrew 100+ Posts

The real question is how many people are still married that posted on this thread in 2004

27. tallgrant

tallgrant 250+ Posts

Took her on a blind date.

A buddy from high school dated and eventually married her sister- I attended the wedding. My wife was maid of honor and I had no clue who she was. I had brought another girl along as my date.

Two years later, I'd just had a pretty nasty split with the ex-girlfriend. A consortium of my family and my friend's family decide we're pretty compatible and get us in contact with each other. I hear that she likes coffee, so I call her and suggest we go to Mozart's.

Once I picked her up for the date, I felt like i was crashing and burning pretty quickly. While we were driving down to Mozart's, I was talking an awful lot without much response from her. Finally decide when we get to Mozart's and are parking that it's a lost cause; I resolve that I'm going to do my best to enjoy myself and call it a night as soon as I can.

While we're in line for the coffee, I ask what she does in her spare time. She reads. Who is her favorite author? CS Lewis, who happens to be my favorite author as well. End up spending the rest of the evening completely engrossed in conversation with her about books. She is not phased when she hears I'm a complete Lord of the Rings freak, and she has even read the Silmarillion and can comment on it.

Found out later she's rather introverted and doesn't mind listening to a windbag like me all day. We both enjoy reading the same sorts of books. And she thought that first date was going pretty well the entire time. Dated for 3 and a half fantastic years, been married a year and a half.

28. tallgrant

tallgrant 250+ Posts

And very glad I noticed this thread. I've taken her back to Mozart's every year to celebrate the first date. Finished writing up my story, did the math and realized we've been together 5 years. And the exact anniversary of the day we met falls this week.

29. Bevoette

Bevoette 1,000+ Posts

long departed dance club :

"The North Fourty"

30. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

At a UT football game v. NTSU in 1981. Married her 3 years later. I was at the game with a friend of mine who had gone out with her roommate the night before. At halftime, we made our way down to their seats and got to talking. I almost backed out on our first date because a friend of mine wanted to set me up with another girl who had -- for some unexplicable reason -- expressed interest in me.
    Anytime someone complains about playing UNT, I think about how drastically different my life would have been without UNT:

1) For starters, I probably would have flunked out of UT if it weren't for my then girlfriend's moderating influence.

2) I probably would have married the first in a long line of strippers.

3) I wouldn't have my 4 kids who are, in all honestly, better than anyone else's kids... including ALL OF YOURS!
    [​IMG]