Where do you lean on the political spectrum? (Pew Research Center)

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by WillUSAF, Sep 2, 2020.

1. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

Are you a conservative? Liberal? Or Centrist? I consider myself a centrist with conservative leanings. After taking this test I guess I was right about myself. I finished: Core Conservative with 13% of the American people

Political Typology Quiz

2. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Same for me, Core Conservative. So that isn't a centrist with conservative leanings, that's a solid conservative. People often consider themselves moderate or centrist or independent based on them liking the way that makes them sound, instead of actually holding potions commensurate with that middle of the road policy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Core Conservative to the Core for me. Thanks for the link.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I don't need that thing to know I am a bit to the right of John Birch.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

I'm not one of those people that likes the way it sounds.

Core Conservatives, who are in many ways the most traditional group of Republicans, have an outsized influence on the GOP coalition; while they make up just 13% of the public – and about a third (31%) of all Republicans and Republican-leaning independents – they constitute a much larger share (43%) of politically engaged Republicans.

6. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

I have heard several interviews with members of the John Birch society. They all sounded reasonable to me. Much of what they claimed back in the day about Soviets infiltration proved correct.

The reason Birch is seen as such an extremist is because William F Buckley blacklisted him from the rest of Conservatism Inc. I like Buckley in general but he did some really harmful things to people and policy.

7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Good poll except the question on immigrants. The question should have been ILLEGAL immigrants if the question is do illegals suppress wages and drain services.
    No conservative that I know or have heard think legal immigrants are anything but great for USA

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Bingo, but the libs and MSM aren't going to allow you to separate legal from illegal, which are about as different as tobacco and ice cream.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I do not know who created the quiz but the question on foreign policy was suspect too

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

But you can't argue that both of those aren't amazing! I LOVE a good cigar (i smoke 1 to 2 a day) and good old fashion Vanilla ice cream is the bomb!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

Pew Research does the polling. They are a very good at not leaning IMO. You can probably pick out certain words and phrases on every single poll out there. I just like Pew.

12. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I had the same issue. If it had said "illegal immigrants," it would have been very clear-cut.
    And I came out of the survery as a Core Conservative. And if my sons took the survery, I'm sure they would come out the same - I tried to teach them the truth as I raised them.

13. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Even *I* came out of there as a Core Conservative.

I generally fall in a self-described centrist category, but even that has been stretched in the past decade as "socially liberal" got shoved into a 'far right' position for knowing things like biological sex being a real thing. Have historically been in the 'fiscally conservative' camp though...

This doesn't mean I need to start shaking my fist at clouds and telling the kids to get off of my lawn, does it?

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I know the feeling. I used to be a democrat and I hated the far right nonsense like the Moral Majority and blue laws during the 80s. How the hell did I get classified as a conservative a few decades later?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The Left went insane. That's how it happened. So what used to be considered moderate and even liberal is now firmly on the Right.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1