Where does Herman end up next year?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Duck Dodgers, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

I don't think he'll do anything this offseason - doesn't seem like too many good spots are still open, and I don't see him wanting a coordinator role now.

I break college football into 5 groups - blue bloods like Texas, OU, Alabama, FSU, etc. National champions and lots of history.

Next are the ones a step back from that, but still have had good seasons and history - OSU, Mich State, UCLA, etc.

Then bottom tier of the Kanasas, Vandy, Rutgers, Wake Forrest, etc. Maybe one good year per decade.

Then the non-power 5 teams - bottom feeders and OK teams, like Houston, Cincy, Memphis, etc.

Of those, I see Herman going to the second tier of P5 teams. I don't think he'll go back to the Houston level, nor do I see a blue blood team wanting to hire him at this point.

So mid-tier - something like a Missouri, or a mid tier Pac 12 team like Washington or such. Not those teams in particular, but ones similar to them in status.

Lots will depend of course on who gets the boot next year.

2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Like another said on this board, I just don’t want to play him in a bowl game. :hookem3:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Wherever he goes, I wish him good fortune, as well as the wisdom to learn from his mistakes here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sangre Naranjada

Yeah, that was me. I still hold to that semtiment too.

5. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

He could be hired by an analyst this summer. He could be valuable in that role. I could see a contender hiring him in that role.

6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I would hope that he takes our $15 million, gets a place in Cambria overlooking the Pacific, and relaxes for a year or five.

Next best option for him would be Saban hiring him as an analyst.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

I wonder about ego though. After being the coach at a blue blood team, and having 4 winning seasons, would he want to be an analyst, or just sit out and wait for another chance at being head coach?

Dream scenario for him would be for Michigan to have another dud year (very likely) then get hired by them. But as above, I'm not sure if another blue blood team would hire someone who while not bad, did not deliver anything of consequence in four years. If you can't beat your biggest rival but 1 out of 5 time as was Herman's record at Texas, would a blue blood want to go through a similar record at their school, against their biggest rival.

I see mid tier, where he will probably do well, them maybe a bump back up to blue blood if he gets that team to a NYD bowl, but no CC, as ISU did this year.

8. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Analysis is hard.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Message board posters can be vicious when it comes to analysts. That's real pressure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I’ll go with, Herman in Hawaii......as a tourist.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

He’ll publish his binder, hoping to receive millions $$$ more from book sales.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. horninchicago

Another Mensa decision that will go horribly wrong.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Orangefans bad!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Or very well if you do just the opposite.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. horninchicago

If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Only question is can he change his stripes and get an attitude adjustment. How do you piss down the legs of so many, to include an entire fanbase as large as that of Texas, and be too f- - - ing arrogant to apologize, or at least offer some explanation as to why?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Txreds

Txreds 250+ Posts

I’m hoping Bama so the Brock twins can come back home.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  18. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I think you are right. If I were a fan of another university, hiring a coach from UT who cant beat ISU and TCU would really piss me off. His best hope is for a job at Sam Houston State or a step down if he still wants to be a head coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yep! I certainly don’t see any P5 programs picking him up, maybe an FCS program might. He may be asked to be a position coach somewhere, but not sure who would want him.

20. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

No openings worth him pursuing right now. Plus a coaching gig may reduce his payout, so he should just take a breath and contemplate his next move.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I wonder what the binder says to do when you have $15 million + of cash dumped in your lap with a note that says "Thanks, but get out of here and don't come back?"

• Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

He needs to open up a bar in Guam and tell his stories to the local populace.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's the last thing Herman needs to do

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Sangre Naranjada

I do not know the answer, but I wouldn't mind having to figure it out without advice from the binder.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Mack Brown might hire Tom as an analyst with specific instructions to stay away from anything to do with recruiting.

• Like Like x 1
  26. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Well first you have to determine the shade of the pee....

• Funny Funny x 4
  27. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  28. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

The binder says to maximize the balance of the accounts in the Cayman Islands.

• Winner Winner x 1
  29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

He's already had to pay taxes in US on the $15 million.

If you are suggesting he get his money out of this country, I totally agree.

30. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Why not just hire the binder. It would be cheaper and it has a better personality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021