Where does Sam E fall in UT QB history

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LazyHorn, Dec 29, 2020.

1. LazyHorn

LazyHorn 25+ Posts

Sam has been a Warhorse for UT even though he never won a championship.
    Where does Sam fall out of these former QBs (not in any particular order)

Vince Young
    Colt McCoy
    Bobby Layne
    Marty Akins
    James Street
    Peter Gardere
    Major Applewhite
    James Brown

2. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

Sam is in that conversation with that group. Other than Vince, the list is subjective. I never saw Layne play. I'd add Eddie Phillips to the list. Best wishbone QB we ever had, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Layne was way before my time. Gardere doesn't belong on the list.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Only Texas QB to beat OU 4 times. It is subjective, but I would respectfully disagree. And I know that won't change your mind. Not trying to.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Sam doesn't even compare with these guys. Applewhite shouldn't be listed there either. Don't mention stats....Stats are for losers. These other guys WON championships, or did something special ( Conference titles, national titles, undefeated 4 years vs OU ).Losing four games per year with no titles isn't anything to be heralded for. Sam is a great guy and true Longhorn, but that is where it ends.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I’d put Sam higher than Gardere or Akins and in the same neighborhood as Brown and Applewhite.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Hey!!!!

What kinda list is this if Chris Simms ain’t on it???

:fire::fire::fire::popcorn:

• Hot Hot x 1
  8. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I would rate Sam around Applewhite, Brown and Gardere.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

If there were a Mount Rushmore of top four Texas quarterbacks it would consist chronologically of Layne, Street, Young, and McCoy. In my book Ehlinger is in the top ten in Texas history but he is closer to tenth then he is to fifth and credible arguments could be made for any rank in that range. Going 4-0 against OU was awesome (particularly since it happened while I was on campus) but Gardere would be just outside my top ten.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I_Dont_Exist

That's fine. It's just that other than the OU achievement, and I appreciate how significant that is, he was a .500% guy. If he doesn't hold the NCAA record for most interceptions returned for TD's he's close.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. horninchicago

You have a good point, and it is subjective for sure.

But when I think of Gardere, all that comes to mind is the OU wins, not the bad. With Sam, I think of his toughness and loyalty and love of Texas. Unfortunately, and the Georgia win was big at the time, he has no real big accomplishments to put him in the realm of greatness.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I am wondering if Gardere won his games against coach Blake because that would probably taint his success against Oklahoma.

13. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Sam's not on this list, Simms would be for sure. Winning matters at the QB position. He's somewhere around Brett Stafford, Shea Morenz.

14. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Most of the QB's on that list esp Layne, Street, Young and McCoy had damn sight better teams around them than Sam has had to play with his 4 years. You put him an behind an OL with 2 All-Americans (Street, Weunch, McKay) and he looks better I assure you. He may not be Mt Rushmore material buts he is not exactly chopped liver either.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. I_Dont_Exist

In terms of talent alone Morentz is near the top. That guy was the real deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Rolls eyes. Did you forget to mention Murdock...

I think we may end up missing Sam more than some of us thought...

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. I_Dont_Exist

Gardere won his games against Gibbs. Same difference?

18. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Is that Joe gibbs?
    Isn't Joe Gibbs a highly thought of NFL coach who coached at Washington?
    If it was Joe Gibbs that coach at Oklahoma I sure didn't know he did that or forgot that.
    I am going to have to Google that.

19. horninchicago

Since the OP is about where Sam falls in UT history, not how talented he is compared to others, the answer is he just doesn't stack up. Besides the Sugar Bowl win, there has been nothing of significance he has done as the Texas quarterback.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. I_Dont_Exist

Gary Gibbs. But I suspect you already knew that.

21. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Don't make assumptions. I think Pom was sincere, but I could definitely be suffering from a maladjusted sarcasm meter.

22. I_Dont_Exist

Sarcasm is a delicate balance. One the majority doesn't appreciate.

23. Mike the Texan

Mike the Texan 250+ Posts

Why Simms over Sam? What did Chris accomplish that Sam didn't?

No stupid losses? They both have those.
    Win over OU? Chris had none, Sam had 1.
    Conference title? Nope, both had a shot at one and both lost.
    Bowl wins? Chris has 1, the Cotton Bowl vs. LSU and lost 2. The Holiday Bowl win over Washington goes to Applewhite. If Simms finishes that game, he would have three bowl losses. Sam has three wins so far, including the Sugar Bowl.

I'm not saying Sam should be on the top ten list over Chris, but Chris should definitely not be on the list over Sam.

- Mike

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Hum, that's interesting. Shea was only around for two years and he was injured part of that time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. I_Dont_Exist

Simms still benefits from all the teenage girls who used to post in his favor. Top 10 is generous.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. I_Dont_Exist

I specified talent not production.

27. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Actually I was serious. Joe Gibbs was the only Gibbs that I knew of in coaching.

28. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

I hate these posts cause it makes me talk bad about players I like. Simms was like 26-6 as a starter, at one time held highest passer rating in UT history, think Colt beat that but he was a dude for us. Sam's an all time great Longhorn, but not a great QB. He played his heart out for us but also cost us 5-6 games because of bone headed mistakes late in 4th quarter. Also, think Tech was his only come from behind win unless I'm missing one in 4 years. He lost to a lot of freshman/sophmore Qb's that were on less talented teams. It is what it is...

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

No, I didn't

30. horninchicago

Again, since the thread is about UT history, one could argue that Simms and Applewhite could have influenced VY choosing to come to Texas. I don't know if that's the case, but if so, that would cement their being on the list IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1