Where to buy BBQ pit in Austin

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by fluff, May 26, 2007.

1. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Yeah, the Longhorn/Exes pit is a pretty cool one. A private company creates them and donates them to Texas Exes for Scholarship fundraising purposes. They do great work. My stomach and I can personally speak to their quality!The pictures I posted on the first page of this thread are of the 2007 pit, which is currently a prize in a raffle drawing. I encourage all to support the Texas Exes and purchase raffle tickets. It sure is a great prize!

There is also a raffle for a pair of football home season tickets, including TX/OU tickets. More info can be found in the threads:

Swap Meet thread

Rusty's Grill thread

Good Luck y'all!

2. Orangeblood

Orangeblood 1,000+ Posts

ROX,

Umm, that pit looks nice, but (like everything I've bought from China) it's backwards. Did they give you a discount for buying a backwards pit?

horn-blooded,

Those are nice, but a bit pricey. I think that you'd be much better served by having Wylie build one for you that you could customize and which would include lights and a license plate. I don't think he has a website, but you can go over to his shop and see what he has in stock (usually for a discount) and I know he keeps a "catalog" of different pits to build from scratch. PM me if you're interested.

3. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

Orangeblood, I didn't say I was GOING to buy one... just that I was considering the vertical unit (not the backwards built one). Notice the horizontal / backwards one has it pictured differently in the tag?

The "factory direct" units are nice, however I'd like to see if there's a way to bypass this sales source & go direct to the builder - whomever this might be.

I also like the optional table for the backside & would add a double propane burner & a square cooler holder / frame - i.e. make the trailer a tad longer to fit the cooler(s). Maybe make the table on the backside a stainless top vs. the grate they show.

What about leveling pins? A grease drain hole & cup hook (the Lyfe Tyme Loop(y) is getting has a screw in thread set for a mason jar, but I sorta like the ash can thing; to me it has a better 'look' & less chance of glass breakage. The TL with the ~5' primary chamber is my unit of choice were I going for one today.

& Of course it's severely lacking in Texas Stars & Longhorn emblems.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Arnold Layne

Arnold Layne 25+ Posts

Call Wiley
    Sorry I hadn't seen this thread. Call Wiley and head on down to Buda. Even if you don't buy one, just seeing his shop and talking to the guy will be well worth your time. He did mine and it is awesome. The thing will outlive me and be passed on to my son. A couple of friends of mine who cook for a living had their's done by him and couldn't be happier.

5. JoeTex#1

JoeTex#1 First Time Poster

Got my LifeTyme in '86. 90% of use has been for grill'n. But I can make unbeatable barbeque chicken. Mine looks like AustinTexas' but firebox is on the other end, and the main lid is one piece. (Takes a real TEXAN to open that sucker. Wife can just barely lift it.) My firebox grate is burning out and I need to find out how to get another one. Don't think that is included in the warranty, just the "box" itself. That or locate some extra heavy duty expanded metal.

By the way, I never painted mine, just applied some linseed oil where the paint eventually peeled. Heat just bakes it on better. This thing has set out in the weather for 20 years, and is probably good for at least another 40. I will will it to my first born; he likes to cook and grill.

6. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

JoeTex#1,

With the exception of a hearty "oU sucks", that has to be just about the perfect First Post a person could make.

He's gottcher Q, discusses steel, first born son...

Good times. Good times.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]