Where to find Tri-tip sirloin in Houston?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by ctrl+alt+del, May 31, 2005.

1. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

When Mrs. Reboot and I lived in California, you couldn't swing a dead cat without tripping over some tri-tip, but I cannot find it anywhere in Houston. I have asked all over, but most people don't even know what it is. That is some of the most tender, juicy, and flavorful beef you will find for barbecueing. Any sightings would be most helpful. Thanks!

c+a+d

2. GHOST HORN

GHOST HORN 100+ Posts

i am in houston, what is a tri-tip??? why don't u try a usda prime graded steak, that should more than satisfy. they are at morton's, capital grille, pappa's, sullivan's, the palm, etc, etc, etc.

porterhouse = filet on one side, ny strip on the other
    ribeye - one of the most flavorful cuts
    filet = rarely rated usda prime, but very tender
    ny strip = great steak
    tri-tip = some socal hip version of nothing that is a true steak, just a guess.

3. Z06

Z06 100+ Posts

4. hornbri

hornbri 25+ Posts

I now live in Cal and I have to point out that tri tip and BBQ do not belong in the same sentence.

5. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

All the brisket goes to TX and all the tri-tip goes to Cali. Ask around and you'll confirm that theory, but won't get it explained.

6. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

7. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

From the link Z06 has provided:

8. hornbri

hornbri 25+ Posts

I am not saying its not a decent cut of meat. But it is not BBQ it is grilling.

BBQ to me (and most Texans) is low and slow, in-direct heat. Surely you do not consider grilling a steak "BBQ"

To make tri tip you are grilling, the link you refrence is a direct cooking method, at 350 - 375 degrees.

If you are telling me you actually smoke/BBQ this cut of meat, I am interested in hearing your methods and something I may try.

9. You can order them at any real butcher shop. I have bought them before at Pete's Fine Meats on Richmond. If they don't have them, they can get them. I've seen them at two different smoke houses in Richmond where they butcher their own beef.

I don't really think of it as BBQ, I think of it more like a roast in that it does not need the time that a brisket does. I think that if you cooked it for four or five hours at 225 to get a good smoke ring, that it would end up to dry. When I have had it, I cooked it at 350 to 400 degrees until the internal temp reached around 140 degrees (medium rare). For the money it is a good cut of meat.

10. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

If by definition, barbecueing is as follows:

tr.v. bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing, bar·be·cues
    To roast, broil, or grill (meat or seafood) over live coals or an open fire, often basting with a seasoned sauce.

Not to sound ******, but I have never really split hairs between considering barbecueing being cooking over an open flame or indirect heat. I always considered the latter to be "smoking" if wood is used or "slow cooking" if not. To me, barbecueing means cooking outdoors with a flame, be it direct or indirect. Others most likely have different opinions, though. If someone can locate me some tri-tip online, I would be hard-pressed to NOT come to Austin this weekend and give y'all a taste at the regionals at Disch-Falk.

However, all that aside, you should really try cooking a tri-tip on a flame since you are in California and most likely have access to it. That is some of the best-tasting meat you will ever enjoy, I promise!

11. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

f___ing definition police. Here, I'll make it simple:

BBQ - you eat while drinking no less than 6 beers be it at home, a game, or a bar mitzva. Once your food comes out of whatever it is being cooked on, it is on a bun or bread quickly. You have a lot of friends around. You talk about football. Someone farts. Its funny.
    Grilled - You have a date. You serve the food on a plate. You grill asparagus as well and think it makes you sophisticated. Your date asks for wine. You talk about things while trying to get your date to drink more wine so you can more easily get in her pants.

12. Simon Templar

Simon Templar 25+ Posts

Don't f**k with CAD re food. He's got street cred.

I live in SF. I love tri-tip. The point re BBQ is taken, but it's really semantics.

13. TX_HORNS

TX_HORNS 25+ Posts

I second Pete's Fine Meats on Richmond - (713) 782-3470.

They probably have it and if they don't they can get it.

14. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

I just called Pete's and they DO have them! The guy was actually stocking his display case with them when I called. Thank you for the advice!

c+a+d

15. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I've had this in California and it is excellent (I would call it "grilled" rather than "BBQ'd" as well, but it doesn't matter).

So, anyone know where to find this in Austin? I'd love to make some.

16. goofybevo

goofybevo 250+ Posts

I've seen tri-tip at Central Market. I didn't realize it was so hard to find in Texas.

17. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

I'd kill for a good tri-tip sandwich right now.

18. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Never had it. For those who have, would you say it's more like sirloin (lean) or ribeye (marbled)?

19. YChang

YChang 500+ Posts

I always thought to be bbq it had to be low heat and involved smoke.

20. shaq

shaq 100+ Posts

Fogo De Chao serves it (I believe ), calling it bottom sirloin.

It is probably their best cut there

21. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

It's pretty lean. I use it for shish-kabobs.

22. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

f**k, now I'm hungry.

[​IMG]

23. MrPhlegm

MrPhlegm 250+ Posts

They have it at the Sams in Orlando and Miami so all of it dosen't go to Cali.

I may have to try smoking one of these when I can't find the reat thing (like last weekend [​IMG] ).

24. txzen

txzen 100+ Posts

25. suttree

suttree 500+ Posts

Central Market, Pete's, and Fiesta frequently have it. Pete's is a rip-off, in my opinion. CM has better meat than Pete's running away. Pete's is good for lunch and making tamales.

26. TX_HORNS

TX_HORNS 25+ Posts

27. flaco

flaco 500+ Posts

Man these grilling threads are the best part of off-season hornfans.

My question is why is the searing done after the meat is mostly cooked? I have always seared first to lock in the juices and then moved off of the direct heat if that is what is called for. Just curious.

I'll have to ask my dad what the locker plant does with that cut of meat when I see him this weekend. He just got a steer back from the one in Brady. It has been delicous, especially the fajitas. Never heard of tri-tip anywhere except Cali. They probably just label it sirloin.

28. goofybevo

goofybevo 250+ Posts

Contrary to popular culinary belief, searing does not "lock in the juices." Any food science book will tell you that searing cuts of meat before roasting, etc. is used to give good flavor to the meat via the Maillard reaction, which basically just means the sugars in the meat are caramelized (sort of). More detail here.

Alton Brown, and many other cooks who know their food science, will often wait until the end to sear, thus ensuring the desired doneness at the interior of the meat.

29. flaco

flaco 500+ Posts

Are you threatening me?

30. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

Pete's is a great place, but it is overpriced and independent, thus giving it snob appeal. Central Market, an HEB company carries USDA Prime, you cannot get a better quality grade of beef in the city regardless of what anyone tells you. However, the HEB on Fountainveiw and Westheimer also carries the same USDA Prime for about 20% less per pund than what Central Market charges. The one thing that Central carries that few other places offer is the dry aged beef. As for the tri-tip, just ask for your butcher to cut and de-fat the whole "petite" muscle off of a large top butt and you will be a happy camper.[​IMG]