Where to Get a Turkey Cooked

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by TexasAirForce, Nov 18, 2010.

1. TexasAirForce

TexasAirForce 25+ Posts

Anyone know any places in Houston that will will cook your bird for a fee? My oven just went out and won't get the new one in until after Thanksgiving.

2. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

well, you are facing a dilemma because even if you have someone cook your turkey, you still have to have a way to take it home and pick it up. I do know that Joyce's seafood and steaks on San Felipe does a very good fried turkey. ive had it and its really good but it requires you to heat it up in an over for an hour i think. its very moist and good. i also think Goode Company on Kirby does a smoked whole turkey for people but it also requires you to heat it up in the over. you might be able to pick it up warm and bring it home immediately.

3. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

Go to Wal-Mart or Target and get yourself one of those countertop roaster ovens that claim to handle an 18 pound turkey. You can get one for $17-$18, which is probably what you'd have to pay to have someone else cook it for you.

4. TexasAirForce

TexasAirForce 25+ Posts

I thought about getting one of those roasters. But I have a ginormous 21.5 lb mega turkey.

5. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

Anyone ever use a roaster oven for a turkey?

6. DoobieWah

DoobieWah 500+ Posts

How big is your microwave?

Our oven died on T'giving morning the first year of my ex-marriage and we had my ex-in-laws over for dinner. Having no choice, we chucked the bird in the m-wave and were rewarded with the moistest bird with crispiest skin I've ever cooked.

This was twenty three years ago and I had a big ole' mother of a microwave, and I can't say that I really remember exactly what we did, but by dumb luck we had a great bird.

As an aside, there are several bbq joints in town that will smoke one for you. We've had them done by both Baker's Ribs on Voss, (just around the corner from Joyce's noted above), and by The Houston BBQ Company on Eldridge.

Both were fine choices. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

[​IMG]

7. ThrowittoRoy

ThrowittoRoy 100+ Posts

I have heard good things about Rudy's.
    I'm pretty sure Whole Foods has them too.

8. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

Most of the BBQ resteraunts will do it, you should call first as you'd be surprised how many people will take their birds to them. You might ask if you need to season it or if they are going to do for you.

9. TexasAirForce

TexasAirForce 25+ Posts

Got a roaster from WallyWorld. Spousal unit did a test run with two chickens. Turned out pretty good. Next up, the mega turkey on wednesday.

10. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

11. TexasAirForce

TexasAirForce 25+ Posts

Did the turkey in the roaster. Turned out excellent..........

12. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

I cook around forty or fifty per winter holiday...........normally for free or next to it...........it gives me a reason to drink beer.

13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

You need a reason? [​IMG]