Where's my refund???

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Texanne, May 3, 2012.

1. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I had to mail my tax return this year.

I have used TurboTax for several years, but this year's return was so simple, I couldn't justify paying $29.95 for it. So halfway through TurboTax, I abandoned ship and went to TaxACT, which was free. I submitted my return electronically and five minutes later got a response from TaxACT that my return was not accepted. Seems a return with my SSN had already been filed.

Turns out that TurboTax automatically links to the IRS when you log on. So I had to mail my return. This was about mid-March. I was told that it would take about six weeks to process.

The stupid "Where's My Refund?" website told me that my return had been received and was being processed and that I should have my refund by May 1.

Well, May 1 came and went, and no refund. May 2 also came and went, and no refund. I've called every phone number I can find and can't even get a human being on the phone.

Does anyone know how I can find out why I have not received my refund? I need that money because I have to pay for my football tickets.

2. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

I don't work for the IRS. I do know that your refund will show up in the next week or two - I'd bet a lot of money on that. So relax for one week, put your tix on a credit card, and pay it off when you get your refund. Problem solved.

3. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

You sure you haven't had ID theft and some "undocumented" resident hasn't used your social?

4. WithoutAClue

WithoutAClue 100+ Posts

If your refund is being direct deposited to your bank account, those are done on Fridays.

If you are expecting a check, good luck. [​IMG]

5. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I know this is after the fact, but in the future, even if you mail the return in, there is a place on the back of the Form 1040 to fill in your banking account information for a direct deposit.
    This type of refund is always surprisingly fast.
    The mailing of a check, surprisingly slow. You will get it, but so many positions slashed by budget cuts, I wouldn't hold my breath. The IRS has less employees for more taxpayers, more complicated deductions, etc. It's going to be slower.
    Electronic is the way to go now.

6. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I did the direct deposit thing. Nice to know that those are done on Friday. I'll hope to see it tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all the responses. And no, I apparently am not the victim of identity theft. I think it's just a technology f**k-up.

Namely, me.

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I can front you the cash but the juice starts the second it changes hands. Won't be much as we are friends but the penalty is the same if need be. Lemme know.

8. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

Don't do it. Loopy broke my pinky and made fun of my glasses when I missed a payment.

I'm very sensitive about my glasses, and I can no longer properly sip tea with the pinky deformation.

It was a nightmare that I continue to live every day.

9. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

It's your choice to drink or sip tea daily, you can avoid this.

10. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Today is Saturday and I don't have the refund yet. This pisses me off.

11. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

Sorry but you're a couple days beyond their estimate. Hardly time to be really pissed off. Two more weeks maybe before you have a point.

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I just checked with Hoyle and Chango is right. Getting pissed now is not a good idea. Give it time. The loan is still an option but the terms have changed a bit.

13. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

It's now been 10 weeks since I filed, and nothing. Ten weeks.

I'm nervous.

14. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Okay, that sucks. However, I did read that more people filed at the same time than usual and all online. There could have been a big spike in online submissions so maybe yours was timed with them? Sort of like putting in your order at the same time as the bus load of kids at a restaurant. You got a burger too but dangit, your wait will be awhile because the grill only has too much space. If only you could tell the cook to give you yours faster!

Seriously, if you are in a bind, let me know. I know you are good for it.

15. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Well, boyzo ... it turns out that somebody other than me filed a return with my SSN. I finally (with Michtex's help) talked to someone with the IRS who confirmed it. He says I will get my refund, but I have to file an affadavit first, and then it will be about another 90 days.

Sucks to be me. And my poor husband is just as negatively affected, as we file jointly.

I filed a 90-day fraud alert with one of the credit report agencies. The good news is that when I checked my credit report, there were no unusual or fraudulent entries.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Loop, I do appreciate your offer, but my brother is fronting the dough so I can pay for my tickets.

16. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I faxed the affadavit Friday afternoon; the IRS needs about 30 days to get it into the system. Then it probably will be about 90 more before they can even investigate.

However, I have been told that I will receive my refund. It just might be next year before I do.

17. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Tell them you want interest on your money they are holding, the interest they are currently getting on it. You won't get it but it will make you feel better. Ask after you finally get it.