2018 Recruiting - Football

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Badass, Feb 2, 2017.

1. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I asked when his name was first brought up if he was related to or the son of Kerry Watkins, one of the more infamous of David's screwups. Anyone know?

Also, is he the kid that committed to LSU, then FSU, then Texas? If so, someone please tell him the story of Ron Morris.

Regardless of his choice, I hope the young man finds a place where he is happy and lives up to his potential.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Dude just seems flaky. Multiple "commits" and when he decided on UT he said something like "that’s it, no more visits, this is final" etc.

3. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

"I wasn't handed the star role, and I don't want to work for it. These events in my life have led me to believe I need to go somewhere where I am the only next big thing."

• Like Like x 2
  4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Son,

I do believe that you misinterpret the young man's comments. It is my experienced interpretation that he is saying, "I was told that Texas would only take me and no one else at my position, but have since learned that Mack Brown is no longer the coach, and Coach Herman prepares for what happens if 'the only one' gets hurt that there is a backup."

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  5. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

That's a fair interpretation I suppose, however I feel mine is reading between the line of yours. :)

6. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Yup, never thought he would sign

7. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

It certainly appears that Watkins did not relish the competition to earn a starting job. If he was put off by such competition, how hard was he going to compete when things get tough in a game?
    He committed and de-committed three times. Makes one think there might be a touch of entitlement at work here. Good bye and good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Someone please find out if he is Kerry's son. I would hate to think that The University of Texas got screwed over by that family twice, although the first was not the kid, but his mother, and that midget idiot that David had for an assistant coach. David should NEVER let him accompany Kerry back to Tallahassee. The least David could have done is send someone with balls to stand up to the two Florida coaches waiting on him.

Difference in this situation is Kerry's mother took Florida's cash. This seems to be the kids ego rather than the money.

9. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I do try to keep my BO glasses on, but there's a chance he was told we weren't recruiting anymore "slot" guys. My assumption is that any top recruit is having convos with coaches about who else they are recruiting. Thompson knew about Rising. He made it seem like they were very clear with him.

Maybe we weren't as clear as he wanted on this one. I get that.

10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I believe this to be the truth. He apparently wants to be THE guy because in his eyes, he's the best and there is no need for anyone else to play the same position. As pointed out above, never know when a backup is needed and not having one leads to dismal results.

11. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Well losing Watkins sucks. He's a great player and very dynamic. That said, this isn't exactly a surprise, and I think Herman might've had a hunch that Watkins wouldn't be signing in February, or even preferred Moore. Of course that's just my opinion. Also, this year's team has 4 good-to-great sophomore WRs and a few junior ones too, plus the two promising WRs we added in last year's class. Add in Moore (who is very similar to Watkins and is being recruited by the same schools for the most part) and most likely both Eagles and Woodard (or at least one) and it's not like we lost a commit at a real position of need.

But I think in our comments we need to remember that Watkins really helped our early momentum on the recruiting trail. I highly doubt we would've had the same success so far without his commitment. Plus he's a 17 year old kid. Let's pump the brakes with some of the judgmental posts

• Like Like x 5
  12. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Well said.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

FWIW, Chip Brown thinks we get 8 or 9 "big time players" by the end of July.

14. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

If true Herman is working some sorcery out there.

15. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Since Chip said it, must either mean we land 1 or 2 more studs or 14 or 15 more studs by end of July.

I will take the latter.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  17. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i hope some of the 'big time players' are 'big players'

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  19. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

That dude is built like a rock

• Like Like x 1
  20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Hmmmm....I'll have what he's having.

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

22. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

What is a "4-Star TE?" Is that like Talent Evaluation?

23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

What is any star TE? On they available in this galaxy?

24. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Well, in 1980 a 4 star TE looked like this
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  25. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

A couple of years later we brought on Bobby Micho, three star TE and maybe a better player ... [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Perhaps our TE with the most successful success in the NFL was a kid from San Antonio named David Studdard, who spent ten years with the Broncos as an OT. Not sure how many years Lammons played with the Jets,

Sampleton always amazed me because it seemed anything that hit him in the hands he couldn't hold onto, but throw it at his ankles or five feet over his head and he would make a spectacular catch.

The kid, whose name escapes me now, from Broken Arrow (?), who pancaked the DB from Ball High on Earl's TD run against OU in 1977, deserves consideration for that block alone.

27. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

George Sauer was a fine receiver. I was thinking he was a tight end, but looked him up and he was a wide out with only average speed. But he ran great routes, had superb hands and led the AFC in receptions a time or two. Someone like him would make an AA tight end today. Sauer's career with the Jets was fantastic. He worked great with Joe Namath.

28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Wasn't his father a GM?

29. everette

everette 250+ Posts

Steve Hall

30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thank you. I still have the Sunday Dallas paper with his block on the front as Earl appears to be hurdling them.