Which bowl games are you interested in?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Duck Dodgers, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

College Football Bowl Schedule | 2020 | FBSchedules.com

Above is the bowl schedule for this year, as of today. I suppose minor bowls could cancel and / or teams come down with the Wuhan Virus and have to cancel their appearance.

What games are you looking forward to? Personally, unless I'm stuck at a relative's house and bored to tears, I can't be bothered to tune into minor league conference games, so I won't discuss say the Myrtle Beach Bowl of Appalachian State vs. North Texas (zzzz).

For me:

Valero Alamo Bowl, Texas vs. Colorado. Would like to see Texas whip up on Colorado. Always disliked that team since the days of the B12.

Goodyear Cotton Bowl 6 Oklahoma vs. 7 Florida. This should be a good one. Florida can score a lot, though they are going to be without their best receiver who cowardly is quitting the team.

Rose Bowl Game 4 Notre Dame vs. 1 Alabama. You would think this would be a whipping, similar to ND vs. Clemson this past weekend. But fun to watch the Granddaddy of them all, the Rose Bowl, from sunny Dallas, Texas, as California has lost their minds and has made it illegal to do anything in public except riot.

Allstate Sugar Bowl 3 Ohio State vs. 2 Clemson. This could be a good one, if Ohio State is playing as well as they have shown in some games. If they play like they did Saturday, the Tigers will whip up on them. T Lawerence will be too much for them regardless.

Capital One Orange Bowl 5 Texas A&M vs. 13 North Carolina. I'm looking forward to seeing if the Aggs can make a step forward in their program, unlike about every other chance they've ever had. An Orange Bowl win to cap off a 1 loss season would be a bold step for them. Don't know how good NC is - they look good at times, then stink things out like the loss to FSU.

Rest of the games look terrible.

Discuss.

• Like Like x 1
  2. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

You pretty much hit the five games I have interest in. I might watch a little of Iowa State-Oregon and Georgia-Cincinnati but probably just fly bys to see if anything interesting is happening.

3. Duck Dodgers

Yeah, those are the next best ones. After seeing ISU doing the usual thing for a second tier school (had their chance, shat their pants), I'm less interested in seeing them compared to the other games.

The Ga - Cincy game will be another "Can a non-P5 school compete with the major teams" storyline, which I've heard over and over.

Answer - yes for a single game, but it's not the same thing as being in a P5 conference and having to go a whole year playing better teams than the league they are currently in.

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

A la Mr Eagles?

5. Duck Dodgers

Yeah, it's their TE who is their best receiver. Florida is a different team with him, but he's running off to the NFL. Seems unlikely that you'd be injured in your last college game - this isn't an 80's buddy cop movie where a guy is retiring after 19 years and 364 days on the force, but goes with the hero on a routine stakeout and gets shot.

6. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

After what happened to Jalen Smith in Notre Dame’s otherwise meaningless bowl game not sure you can give kids a hard time opting out who are guaranteed a lot of money so long as they don’t get injured. I cant begrudge decisions that have life altering consequences in terms of future earnings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Duck Dodgers

First off, they're not kids - kids are in elementary school, I tire of grown men who can vote and weigh 250 pounds being called kids.

Second, if the bowl game is meaningless why is everyone else playing it? Why should fans go and buy tickets for it? Why are rankings given after the game?

What you're seeing is how the concept of quitting when there's nothing further to personally gain is slumping down into the regular season. Soon, you'll have players quitting after week 4, when their team is no longer able to win the conference championship. Why should fans then buy a season's worth of tickets - just buy them one at a time, and then stay home if the teams out of contention?

Personally, if I was a GM of a NFL team, I'd pass on any player who quit on his team. There are far more times in an NFL season when you could call a game meaningless - it's about half of the games the last 4 weeks of the season, and with my own job on the line based on the season's results, I'd not want a quitter on my team.

8. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Oregon will beat ISU. 45-31
    Georgia will dominate Cincy. Cincy couldn't push Tulsa around..Georgia will crush Cincy up front along with the speed UG has...Mud Hole time.
    Alabama will spank ND.
    Clemson will beat tOSU by 10
    Aggy will beat UNC by 10
    OU and Florida will be fireworks.....Not sure who wins this one...I think OU's defense is a bit better than Florida...OU by 7 ???

9. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

The semifinals, then the final. That's it.

10. Duck Dodgers

Sounds reasonable. I wonder about ATM and NC - might be a good game

OU and FLA looks like the best from a viewing standpoint. I would expect OU to win via a series of dumb mistakes the Gators make, that their coach shrugs off, resulting in them doing it again (and again).

If Florida hadn't thrown shoes, and had 3-4 bad mistakes in the first half against Alabama, they very well could be going into the playoffs.

11. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I will root for Florida. My two favorite teams are (1) Texas and (2) whoever's playing Oklahoma.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

HHD,

Write two checks in same amount. Send one to Austin and the other to The University of Florida. Then set back and witness the difference in the responses.

13. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

For me it’s mostly the Orange and perhaps FL-OU although that one is just a passing interest. However, if OU spanks FL that would reflect very favorably on the conference.

Frankly, I just want to see Mack beat the Aggies again, and I think he will.

• Like Like x 2
  14. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Go Tarheels, destroy the Aggies! What’s a Tarheel? We just call them Rams here.

I’ll watch the playoff games and the Alamo Bowl. Maybe Urban will be there? Ha.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Yep, you hit nail right with your head. Those are the only games I’m looking forward to.

16. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

Tar Heels are tobacco farmers. Their heels are black as tar from working behind the plow in the rich, dark soil. It is an homage to their agricultural background. Much like the Corn Husker is to Nebraska.

• Like Like x 2
  17. LonghornCatholic

Where does the ram come in?

18. LonghornCatholic

19. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

During the Civil War, North Carolina soldiers flipped the meaning of the term and turned an epithet into an accolade. They called themselves “tar heels” as an expression of state pride.

The origins of the Tar Heel nickname trace back to North Carolina's prominence in the mid 18th and 19th centuries as a producer of turpentine, tar, pitch, and other materials from the state's plentiful pine trees.

20. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

Music City Bowl. I want to see Iowa give Mizzou a nice thumping. Because I hate the teams that left the Big 12.

21. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

All of them will be worth watching

They are football games

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Thanks Slowrider! Much obliged. We spend every summer or early fall vacation in NC but on the west end of the state so we didn’t know about that! All the tobacco is more in the central and eastern part of NC.

23. Giovanni Jones

According to the UNC Alumni website, it has to do with the turpentine industry back in the old days.

The term “tar heel” dates back to North Carolina’s early history, when the state was a leading producer of supplies for the naval industry. Workers who distilled turpentine from the sticky sap of pine trees and burned pine boughs to produce tar and pitch often went barefoot during hot summer months and undoubtedly collected tar on their heels. To call someone a “rosin heel” or “tar heel” was to imply that they worked in a lowly trade.

During the Civil War, North Carolina soldiers flipped the meaning of the term and turned an epithet into an accolade. They called themselves “tar heels” as an expression of state pride. Others adopted the term, and North Carolina became widely known as the “Tar Heel State.”

What is a Tar Heel? | UNC General Alumni Association

24. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

I lived in Stokes county, NC for about a year. It is the heart of tobacco country. The locals told me the “Tar Heel” definition I shared above so I come by it honestly. I stand corrected by the information above but the tobacco farmers in Stokes county will probably want to argue about it.

25. Giovanni Jones

I didn't mean to say that you were wrong or misinformed (and I apologize for coming across that way). I meant to share what was on the UNC alumni site. (perhaps UNC wants to eschew any connection with the tobacco trade and is conveniently forgetting that origin story.)

• Like Like x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This one may have just gotten more interesting

27. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Watching Georgia Southern beat the piss out of La Tech...

28. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

I guess UNC is not woke enough to get rid its racist mascot. :rolleyes1:

29. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

Saw this. I’m sure the UF coaches aren’t real happy.

• Like Like x 1