which round?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by old65horn, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We're a tight defensive team with Sims to check their big man in the middle. Plus, if the threes aren't falling, we have superior guards to drive on them. I think we match up well enough.

Ain't it funny how, in the space of a few days, we can go from rejoicing over the easy cupcake we get for the opening round (finally), to worrying about Abilene Christian, pumping them up in our heads, and viewing them as the next coming of the early 1970s UCLA...? I do it too. A psychologist needs to write a book on sports fan psychology.

2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]
    ABILENE CHRISTIAN!?!?!?

I thought with a 3 seed, we were supposed to get an easy first round match up?

:rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1:

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  3. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I feel like it should be a pretty comfortable win, but it's easy to see 23-4 and get worried especially when you have time to think about it. Looking at their makeup I don't see how they would be able to hang around at all unless like I mentioned we get into a 3 point shooting contest and we're off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. We need to use our significant guard driving skills if it turns into a 3 point contest and we're cold. That, plus feed it to Sims and Kai inside. I expect they will beat Kohl down low, and they can kick it out to the open man. Also, we can run Kohl, tire him out, and hopefully get him into foul trouble. If so, we will utterly dominate down low and we feed it to our bigs time after time.

If nothing else is working, Brock Cunningham can improvise and make things happen.

At tourney time, a random Senior who otherwise had a so-so year often catches fire. Perhaps Febres will knock down a bunch of threes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I read that ACU gave Arkansas a very tough game after falling behind early and battled Texas Tech to the end. Probably what worries us is the NCAA sells the tournament as a tournament of upsets (when it really is not, yes there will be some David and goliath stories, but more often than not the top 5 seeds win) so we buy into the hype and neglect the real facts. Anyway, who would watch if it were not for the Cinderella story each year. Texas should roll to a 10 point win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I’m jumping in late so this might be out of context.

While I would love to see the team do better, I will be surprised if they go beyond the Sweet 16 and an earlier departure wouldn’t shock me. The team’s inconsistency, a reflection of the coach IMO, suggests that ceiling. Having said that, I have felt all season that this team is loaded, and well balanced with athletes, shooters, veterans, youth, guards, big men, attitude, you name it. This caliber of talent and depth should be competing for a championship, and if they do, I’ll be thrilled. But because Shaka’s teams consistently disappoint, that’s what I am expecting later this month.

7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I did not find our conference tournament championship disappointing.

:trophy::trophy::trophy:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The NIT was ripe for the picking.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We're already the defending NIT tournament champions. Yet another trophy in our case.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Am I crazy (yes), but didn't the tournament used to always start on Thursdays? I prefer this compared to this years layout. The second round is more interesting than the first, and we will miss the Monday games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

100% agree. They may have pushed it a day to allow for teams to travel from conference tourneys, get settled in and quarantine before the first game.

12. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Chop said: “At tourney time, a random Senior whootherwisehadaso-so year often catches fire. Perhaps Febres will knockdown a bunch of threes.”
    ^^^. I can’t think of a player that I’d rather see get hot and have a great run than Febres. All the medical issues that sidelined him; being a starter last year...

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I really like Febres as well, but I don’t see much of an effort to get him the ball regularly. If the guy hits a few early shots — like he did the other night, they should feed him. I’m talking about 10-15 shots from behind the arc. I have almost never seen that happen.

14. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I'd love to see what will happen on the afternoon of 4/3 that gives us the upset over the Zags. Maybe a van full of leper zombies infected with Covid crash into the Gonzaga locker room and go to town.

15. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

upload_2021-3-18_21-47-6.jpeg

• Hot Hot x 1