Which running back would you take?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by hookemcmw, Jan 27, 2008.

1. hookemcmw

hookemcmw 100+ Posts

If you were a team that needed a running back in the upcoming NFL draft, how would you rank the available running backs, outside of Darren McFadden of course? If you're a team like Dallas, do you wait until the second round to address RB (assuming you are losing Julius Jones) and take a CB and possibly a WR in the first?

Some top running backs in the draft (in no particular order):

Jamaal Charles (UT)
    Felix Jones (ARK)
    Rashard Mendenhall (ILL)
    Jonathan Stewart (Oregon)
    Ray Rice (Rutgers)
    Chris Johnson (ECU)
    Kevin Smith (UCF)
    Matt Forte (Tulane)
    Steve Slaton (WV)
    Chauncey Washington (USC)
    Dantrell Savage (OK State)
    Michael Hart (Mich)
    Tashard Choice (GT)

My top five:

1) Jonathan Stewart
    2) Felix Jones
    3) Rashard Mendenhall
    4) Jamaal Charles
    5) Kevin Smith

2. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

What about McFadden?

3. wildcat09

wildcat09 100+ Posts

I don't think Stewart has the burst to make it in the league.

I'd probably rank my top 5 as:

1. Mendenhall
    2. Jones
    2a. Charles
    4. Kevin Smith
    5. Tashard Choice

4. 4th&5

4th&5 1,000+ Posts

5. UTmainman

UTmainman 100+ Posts

Why does everyone rank Felix Jones above Jamaal? Jamaal was a more productive (ypc wise) college back. He is also bigger, faster, and has better hands. I think Jamaal easily ranks above Jones and is only below McFadden and Mendenhall.

6. formermav43

formermav43 250+ Posts

Mendenhall
    Jones
    Stewart
    Charles
    Rice

You might also want to add James Davis (Clemson) who will probably go ahead of several of the guys you've listed. I also think that, while he doesn't have the greatest measurables and will fall because of it, Mike Hart we'll be a pretty good role player for somebody.

7. chillywillywall

chillywillywall 100+ Posts

Jc was also the #1 back.
    jones had to play with some mcfadden guy

8. hookemcmw

hookemcmw 100+ Posts

In the original post, I mentioned outside of McFadden b/c he is the consensus #1 back on everyone's list.
    how would you rank the available running backs, outside of Darren McFadden of course?

9. Big12fanatic18

Big12fanatic18 < 25 Posts

I think McFadden should be number one on this list.

10. griff218

griff218 < 25 Posts

depends on what type of back you need. The titans have power backs, and I think they could use a game breaker like Jamal in the 2nd round. He can be used in the backfield, slot, and in the return game. I hope they pick him up.

11. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

former,
    james davis is going back to clemson last i saw. he faxed the nfl and clemson the day of the deadline informing them to take his name out of the hat.

12. formermav43

formermav43 250+ Posts

You're correct, I had not seen that he withdrew his name.

13. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

14. hookemcmw

hookemcmw 100+ Posts

Mendenhall looked really good against USC in the Rose Bowl. I didnt see a ton of Illinois games either, but I thought he was pretty legit.

15. ngnichols

ngnichols 250+ Posts

If we are talking about the Cowboys and what they should do, I'd say that if they could grab Aqib Talib and Limas Sweed or Adarius Bowman in the 1st round and hope that JC is still around in the 2nd round. THAT would be a MONSTER draft for them.

Honestly, I think JC will go in the latter part of the 1st round, early 2nd round so I'm not sure if they could pull off the trifecta I described above.

16. RollingwoodHorn

RollingwoodHorn 500+ Posts

17. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

This sure is a deep draft for RBs. There should be good ones available through the 2nd round and beyond.

18. Mikeinthebox

Mikeinthebox 100+ Posts

19. wright11

wright11 25+ Posts

mendenhall
    mcfadden
    choice
    jones
    charles
    (in that order)

20. ngnichols

ngnichols 250+ Posts

Just a little nugget I saw earlier tonight:The Link

21. hookemcmw

hookemcmw 100+ Posts

I agree thats a terrible trade. Youre giving up a couple of potentially good players (first round picks) and an already productive running back for a running back that has never played a down in the NFL.

Mel Kiper was talking about it on Mike and Mike the other morning and said McFadden isnt even projected as high on most teams' boards as Adrian Peterson (who fell to mid top 10) was last year so he has no idea how teams would be willing to take him at 1 or 2 when teams passed on Peterson last year. If that were true somehow, maybe the Cowboys can leverage both of their first round picks in order to move up to the 4-8 range. I still would rather have a combo of Talib, M. Kelly, Limas, etc in the first round along with picking up the best running back available in the 2nd round to go with Barber.

22. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

Effing Jerry Jones is going to screw this team up. That's a terrible idea. They've already got a running back that I consider to be in the Top 10% of running backs in the league. Hell, he hasn't even reached his potential.
    They have some minor holes in other areas of the team that could be addressed with the two first-rounders. Well, a couple of minor holes and Roy Williams.
    They need a SAFETY. And a wide-reciever. Owens is getting old. Glenn is already old -- at least body-wise. Patrick Crayton? Probably as responsible as any player for the loss to the Giants.
    Please God don't let Jerry Jones do this... [​IMG]

23. ngnichols

ngnichols 250+ Posts

I don't even think McFadden is the best RB in this draft. I think part of his success was the style of offense he was in. Arkansas had ZLICH when it came to a passing offense so he saw the ball on average fo 25-30x a game minimum. He also doesn't have the burst Peterson does. McFadden is quick, but he's not even close to Peterson. I don't see why people compare the two because they aren't even the same style of runner. Peterson probably could have broken Ron 'Fatass' Dayne's record had he stayed healthy during his college career and stayed all 4 years. McFadden would have needed a Barry Sanders type season in his Senior year just to be close.

24. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

I'd probably take Mike Hart

25. HoosierHorn

HoosierHorn 500+ Posts

Jerry Jones to get fleeced by Bill Parcels? I doubt it.

but i'd laugh for a while.

26. Don Johnson

Don Johnson 250+ Posts

27. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

28. overmaars

overmaars 1,000+ Posts

29. after mcfadden, i don't care. no one else really appeals to me.. maybe rice.

slaton/charles for their speed only.

30. Don Johnson

Don Johnson 250+ Posts