Which Texas Basketball loss hurt you the most?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by ferrariparty, Mar 4, 2009.

1. ferrariparty

ferrariparty 250+ Posts

I will say that I have only started following UT hoops starting with 2002/2003 Final Four season so I don't really know how ones before that felt. But I would have to say by far the loss that hurt the most for me was the Final Four national semifinal loss to eventual champ Syracuse. Carmello Anthony played great, T.J got into foul trouble, I was so happy when Boddicker hit that 3 to pull us within like 3 or 4 with less than a minute left I believe, but we couldn't finish the deal. When I realized we were going to lose I just looked at the tv stunned. I still can't watch any part of this game if it gets replayed.

Other painful ones:
    -Losing to Xavier in the Sweet Sixteen the following year, I felt so bad for Brandon Mouton crying at the end of his last game on the bench. He was my favorite player.
    -Losing to LSU in OT in the 2006 Elite Eight, Glen Davis makes that bs 3 pointer in OT to help LSU to the win ending our bid to win the football and basketball championship in the same year.
    -Losing to Kansas in the Big 12 title game in 2007. Durant had like 37 points and we had a big first half lead but fell in OT to the Jayhawks, the second of three straight Big 12 Championship losses to KU. I know it's just the conference tourney but this one pissed me off more than the other losses in the conference final.
    -Last year's Elite Eight vs Memphis wasn't as bad for me I guess because they just destroyed us and it became numbing after a while.

2. UTeric32

UTeric32 500+ Posts

3. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

I'll go with the loss in the semi-finals (Final Four) when Anthony was on that team but was another player kept hitting from outside and killed us.

4. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

Thanks ferrariparty for bring up the Cuse game. It took me 6 months of drinking to suppress that memory.

5. jhwutx

jhwutx 100+ Posts

The loss to Syracuse at the Final Four in 2003.

Was the kid hitting the outside shots for Syracuse their freshman point guard...Gerry MacNamara? I swear he played for 10 years there!!

The 3 OT loss to Oklahoma State in 2007 comes to mind...for all our effort and nearly winning the game on the road...and since SO many highlights are shown of this game....

6. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

Arkansas in the round of eight, in 1990.

7. BrothaHorn

BrothaHorn 1,000+ Posts

Memphis, last year

8. IndyHorn

IndyHorn 250+ Posts

The LSU loss in Elite Eight. Watching our half court offense in that game was excruciating. I recall it was predicated by dumping to PJ at the hash so he could go one on two, or dumping to LaMarcus for a fade away from the elbow-both of which involved striking at the strength of LSU's team (Glen Davis, Tyrus Thomas). Meanwhile Daniel Gibson twiddled his thumbs and got, what, 6 shots the whole game. The Final Four was in Indy that year, and I was there!! That game followed by the loss to Xavier in the Sweet Sixteen after number one seed Duke had lost in the earlier game. Both of those losses involved Texas losing to lower seeded teams.

9. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

The Arkansas game at the Erwin Center, when Strollin' Nolan earned his nickname. We had the game virtually won, Nolan took a stroll, they send the game to OT, and win the game. Hogs had to send somebody to the locker room to get Nolan to tell him the game was still going.

10. Lost_In_Ohio

Lost_In_Ohio 500+ Posts

Any loss to aggy, especially at their place.

11. TornACL

TornACL 250+ Posts

12. jwig2020

jwig2020 25+ Posts

Although it was relatively early in the tournament, the loss to LSU in 2000 was tough to take. I think Wisconsin eventually won that region as an 8 seed.

13. Dude

Dude 1,000+ Posts

14. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

There is only one I can even think of that hurt-Arkansas, 1990.
    Pig fans were mean and nasty in Dallas.

15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

16. pike

pike 250+ Posts

I think it was Hakeem Warrick who really kicked our tails in that Final 4 game in addition to Carmelo. Carmelo had at least 30 in that game but I think Warrick had 20 or so also.

Pike

17. oSuJeff97

oSuJeff97 25+ Posts

In reply to:

18. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

That's easy for me...

It was the Texas loss at Tennessee in '06. Durant went off. We had like an 18 point lead in the 2nd half. Bruce Pearl was sweating all over Thompson Bowling. We're up 3 with 10 seconds left and they leave Chris Lofton open for a 3 to tie it. Happened right in front of me as I'm yelling, "get on that SOB!!"

As far as painful physically, this year's K-State game. I actually got to watch it. They kept hitting bs 3's as the shot clock was winding down. When we lost I started punching inanimate objects. Yes, I took it hard for some reason.

19. AstroVol

AstroVol 500+ Posts

In reply to:

20. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

Vol fight!!!

[​IMG]

21. Bevo-Stevo

Bevo-Stevo 1,000+ Posts

I can't remember all of them. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. ferrariparty

ferrariparty 250+ Posts

I will also add Michigan State this year to my list. We led a close one throughout practically the entire game until like 20 seconds left, leading by 1 or 2 and we leave a guy WIDE OPEN for a 3 and he makes it of course. We have one timeout left, but instead inbound it and pass it out of bounds after crossing halfcourt instead of calling the timeout. I was so pissed after that game I didnt watch another one until conference play started. [​IMG]

23. Court Jester

Court Jester < 25 Posts

"There is only one I can even think of that hurt-Arkansas, 1990.
    Pig fans were mean and nasty in Dallas."

Actually, I have a different impression. After the game, my wife and I walked out of Reunion Arena to catch a taxi to Love Field and a trip back to Houston. We had some time before the flight so we decided to walk over to the Hyatt next door for a drink or two. Well, the place was packed with pig fans all shouting the "SOOUUUEEEYYYY." We started to walk out when a table of two couples decked in head to toe red and white said "We won the game so be our guests and let us buy you a drink."

We sat with these two couples (Die-hard Arkie fans) and talked about sports, but mostly the SWC, the '69 Game of the Century," the Abe Lemmons - Eddie Suuton fued, etc.

When I asked them what they did for a living, one of the men told me he was an Arkansas state senator and the other was a lobbiest for a variety of entities in Arkansas. So then the conversation turns to state politics and after awhile I inquire as to who is the Governor of Arkansas. The two men look at each other and laugh, give me the disclaimer that they are both in the same party as the governor so they are not trying to be politically vicious, and then launch into numerous stories that are not so flattering about their governor.

And two years later. Bill Clinton is my president.

24. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

I think when we lost Abe Lemons.

Regardless of anything DD has done right since then, that one still bothers me. Hiring Weltlich did not exactly right the ship either. [​IMG]

25. Bevo's Buddy

Bevo's Buddy 500+ Posts

26. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

BB, is that the same year of the Strollin Nolan game in the Erwin Center? It makes sense, because we seemed to have a mental block when playing the pigs.

27. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts

In 1990, making the Final Four meant ten times what it did in 2006. We were like Davidson back in '90. In fact, our entire sports program was nowhere near where it is now.

I have the image frozen in my mind of Travis Mays launching the tying 3-pointer with 10 seconds left and then falling to the ground in agony after fouling out. His final moments as a Longhorn.

28. CadetHorn

CadetHorn 250+ Posts

The lose to the 'Cuse was painful no doubt....but I was so happy with being in the FInal Four, I think it helped. Re-reading some of these posts and I think I should've been more upset seeing how close the game was. I must have forgot.

The one that gets me is the LSU overtime loss. I didn't think that team had the ability to win it all, but when LSU was their last opponent to get out of the Region, I knew Final Four was VERY likely. Who did LSU upset that year to get to the Regional Final? We certainly were not a 1 seed....a 2 seed maybe? Painful OT loss......and the Paulino's game winner 3 against Pittsnoggle and WVU was just a couple days prior....what a great win that would've been.

Another one that sticks out, and I'm even more hazy on this one, is from the Penders era. It was the year we beat 15 seed Coppin State to advance to the Sweet 16. We must have been a 10 seed that year? I remember the sweet 16 game was against Louisvile believe....I was really young but I remember being madder than all hell as a 11 year old or so when the Cards pulled away in the 2nd half. Man, I was pissed.

29. TULAUS

TULAUS Guest

Don't remember what year it was, but we had just beaten UNC and were ranked #5. Went to Waco, Wacker had the knee injury, lost to Baylor, team wasn't the same after that.

Close second would be Aggy breaking our 7 game streak or whatever it was, with AC Law hitting a last second three at their place. That dude hit so many big shots. AC Law created Billy Clyde Gillespie. UK knows.

30. ferrariparty

ferrariparty 250+ Posts