Whittington

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by #2is#1, Sep 2, 2019.

1. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

2. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Will need surgery and will be out six weeks.

3. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

4. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Six weeks seems fast for a RB to recover from hernia surgery.

Kirk Johnson was supposed to be back in six and it's been 3 so maybe he'll be back for OU.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Whittington should've never been playing, and I suspect he never led on to how much pain he was in. With the RB depth situation in shambles he probably wanted to do everything he could to help the team, but sometimes that's not a good decision. He needs to redshirt and get healed. A bowl game is a possibility, but he shouldn't be on the field before that.

• Agree Agree x 8
  6. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

This is pretty bad. A real disaster in the making. I don't know the facts as to the why's but it's pretty bad to be in this position.

7. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Daniel Young will be back.
    Kirk Johnson will return.
    Everything is going to be ok.
    Roschon may turn out to be awesome.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Yesterday I watched a video of Roschon that was posted somewhere here and I had forgotten how quick he is. If we can get him some open field he can go.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I posted this a few days back:
    I don't know all the facts...but it would be nice to have one of those transfers back...maybe...maybe not. Although, there is no way TH or those guys could have known how this would go down.
    Having said this, we are about to learn more about our team - and it may not be bad...will depend on KI26 durability and RJs production capabilities....and, generally, the rest of the guys accepting the challenge.
    My guess is you see a defiant Longhorn bunch on Saturday.
    :hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  10. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

My guess is Sam takes at least 15 carries Sat. and then very few against Rice. As long as Ingram stays healthy and we get some people back by week 4 we can survive this. I'd have Johnson carry the ball 20 times against Rice.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

Unfortunately, all the RBs that are expected to return aren't that good. Just being honest. I would give the ball to Ingram and Roschon 15+ times each! This is your new backfield!

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • poop poop x 1
  12. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I think Young is anxious to prove himself.
    While not a Hiesman hopeful, if he can learn to hang on to the ball he can be a good RB.
    And Kirk Johnson is a big question mark.
    He may be all world if he can ever see the field.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

In Herman's presser, he said J. Whitt was going to Philadelphia for surgery with a Dr. who is the "godfather" of this sort of surgery. Recovery from hernia surgery requires lots of rest and minimal physical exertion (no weight lifting, etc.) for a long time.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Herm said best case 4, probably 6. Chance he could be back for OU...

• Like Like x 2
  15. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

True they have been devastated at the position but we are blessed with a surplus of skilled players. If necessary, I believe that both Jake Smith and Duvernay could take snaps at RB. Certainly it wouldn’t be ideal but Duvernay is one stout dude...

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Maybe Whittington carried a little too much weight room muscle and a little too little body fat for an 18 year old.

A few weeks off the training circuit might not hurt him. So long as the hernia fixes.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Just my opinion but it seems that the tighter these players are strung, the more prone they are to injury. While this may sound silly, I have always been a believer in yoga and swimming, along with weight training, as part of the regimen to prepare players for the season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I wonder if Toneil Carter wishes he hadn't left now...

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

This is my hope.

As other have said, deal with LSU and Ok lite the best you can. Run Roschon a bunch against rice and West Virginia and hope he is 100% for the RRS

21. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Lots of 2 back sets to allow the H-back to pass block if need be, while sending RJ/Ingram out for passes. Also allows for a lead blocker when RB gets the hand off to help limit contact by the DL.

22. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Who knows? I sure do.

23. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i pooped you, on principle, but I get what you're saying. They aren't game changers. Still, we need a stable of solid work horses. If not, we have no shot at earning respect with our run game.

These guys are that.

24. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

J Whitt could be our best RB. Guess we’ll find out by bowl season? He is off the charts talented. D. Young is very talented and would provide much needed depth. Could spell the starters. Losing those two is what really put us in a bind. Losing more depth like Johnson, Smith, Brown throws Kerosene on the fire.

:fire:
    :bevo:

25. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Duverney did essentially take snaps at RB but lined up outside. All those short 4-5 yd passes to him were essentially in running plays. Just with a long handoff.

26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Ha! I knew having Greg Davis hang around practices would rub off on this offense.

By the way, Duvernay did line up at RB and rush for a first down on a (real) handoff.

27. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I hope they manage this well. Make sure this is a redshirt season. No reason to rush him back too soon now

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Beck said 21 mph in practice. That is not slow.

29. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

I thought he was in the slot and just broke laterally to take the handoff.

30. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

FIFY