Who Am I?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by NRHorn, Sep 2, 2018.

1. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I think that the third string QB (or RB) is always the best option. I think this every year.
    I’m not a coach, a player nor have I been to a single practice ... nor have I attended a single team meeting. No, not one.
    I didn’t play college football and would piss in my pants in a real game facing a third and 12 zone blitz .
    As a matter of fact, I couldn’t accurately read a defense with John Madden drawing it up for me on a heads up display mounted to my face mask.
    But by gawd, I know who should start every skill position.
    Who am I?

Answer : A Texas Longhorn fan of any era but two. Colt in his senior year and VY mid way through his jr. year.

You folks wanted Mac gone, VY should be a TE, Colt is too erratic...,

I love you like brothers, but dam... don’t think I’d want most of you with me in a fighting hole.
    Stay the course, be supportive and dammit I don’t want to start a riot here- but we are talking about teenagers gents.
    IMHO- the fans crushed Gilbert. A kid who dreamed of playing at UT and the BS I read on social media about him made me ashamed of being a fan.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  2. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

In 17 years as a registered member here I've never been unduly critical of a player. Herman needs to wake up or move it on down the road.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I was at the BYU game when Garrett was booed off the field and David Ash came in and won the game. It was hard to sit there and wonder how Garrett's parents felt at that moment. I think Baker Mayfield turned on Texas that day.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  4. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Yes- thanks my concern is only about the kids. I just don’t nt get it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Kids, smids. It's all about my needs and wants and desires.

• Like Like x 2
  6. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Welcome to the wide world of sports. As long as it sticks to sports and does not get personal. I didn’t like the boos directed at Gilbert at all not or fans throwing crap onto the field at last years home loss to Maryland.

• Like Like x 3
  7. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I am left believing that part of the problem is that there is this belief that one can never be critical of a performance (or lack thereof) because someone "is a kid." It is part and parcel of the participation trophy mindset/generation. At some point, people need to be able to say that a particular kid does not have a particular skill set to compete at a particular position or level of play. As a result, you get too many of these 'kids' that have over-inflated opinions of their abilities. Then everyone does their damndest to avoid discussions of the realities after abominations like Saturday...

Since TH and the rest of the molly-coddlers on the staff refuse to step up to state the obvious, it unfortunately falls to us, the fans, to do so.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I am not pro booing anyone, but Sam Ehlinger is a huge part of the problem and should not start another game. Texas fans can be ridiculous (see Chiles should starts), but in this case, Ehlinger really has no business starting. Sending him out there to go fail again is not good for him either.

• Like Like x 1
  9. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

You're Jean Valjean!

10. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

I have never seen Texas football this bad for this long. I would say that this team is the definition of mediocrity, but 'underachievement' is likely more accurate.

Even in the mid 90's the team was dangerous enough to beat superior competition. This team struggles to beat inferior competition. If this team gets behind; they lose. I have no illusions of coming back to win a game barring a pick 6 or return score. This offense (and the play-calling) scare no one.

It's actually hard to watch. I never thought Big XII football could be unexciting...but somehow TH has managed it. That can't be easy to do.

11. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

Uh, well it was actually Case McCoy who came in and saved the day. And the next week, Case and Malcolm Brown went to Cali and beat up on UCLA. But, of course Mack could never decide on a QB then either.

12. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Mack, Charlie and every head coach in UT history did better than Ehlinger. I’d rather have a coach that could not decide than stick with the wrong choice.

13. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I don't like it when fans boo a kid, however, I think they do it because they spend a hell of a lot of money to sit in those seats. I think with the money they are spending, fans think it gives them the right to expect a level of excellence.

Garrett Gilbert didn't deserve to be booed, and neither will Ehlinger, however, it is up to Tom Herman to protect his players, he knows what he is dealing with, and he knows that if there is another performance like what we saw Saturday, the boos will rain down.

The good news is, Tulsa is inferior to Maryland and Texas should do well in this game, but if there is a struggle, you can bet, this season is a fold and the entire staff better get ready to find a new home.

This team is too talented to start the year 1-2, that means they better beat both Tulsa and USC or Tom Herman is nothing more than Charlie Strong 2.0

• Like Like x 2
  14. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

15. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Uh huh. Amateur athletes.

16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

A mature grown-up would not show up out of uniform and cost his company money. Act like a grown-up and you might get treated like a grown-up.

17. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

My friends and I were definitely complaining about the teams play that day. But we weren't booing. I think it would be cool if Longhorn fan displeasure manifested as silence and leaving early versus booing. Then the entire program would know our feelings while we retain our class. Maybe that's too much to ask.

Especially after a few pops...

• Like Like x 1
  18. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Oh... ok... sorry about the memory issues. Just looked it up. Ash did play too but Case's stats were better.

19. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

thanks for reminding me of my inaugural experience at DKR last year with "pops"

yeah ... that's gonna get ugly this year.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Lol. Took my 7year old for his first live DKR game experience to the opener last year. He was pretty cool...didn't bother him too too much we lost cause we've taught him not to get too wrapped up in things.... But...it's been a year of "The Maryland's" as the big bad guys everywhere in every conceivable fighting situation and I'm like wow "The Marylands" never got so much hype before in their entire existence.
    Besides a little football, he is into US History and history in general, along with Star Wars.
    Poor kid has "The Marylands" up there with The British Empire and The Evil Empire.
    SMH

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  21. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

he probably didn't wear someone's "pop"

22. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I guess I'm a little slow. Actually, I didn't read very well.
    I thought you guys were talking about going with your dad!
    ...hence my "son" story.
    The only "pops" involved was me.

• Like Like x 1
  23. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I doubt that any of us would endorse booing, but...

Who were (are) they really booing? Were they booing Gilbert, or were they booing Mack Brown for exposing Gilbert? For not making a change. For not giving Gilbert an offense in which he could be proficient?

If that was my son I would be angry and heartbroken. But if (as a parent) I could be objective, perhaps I would concede that my son was being unfairly exposed. I might be more angry at the HC. Splitting hairs?

Coaching Texas is an extraordinary privilege. What most of us on this board wouldn’t give to have a shot at such a job? High pressure. Hell yes. But employers that pay individuals $5,000,000/year expect — and have a right to expect - results.

I love Mack Brown, but I think he probably hung Gilbert out to dry because of the decisions he (Brown) made. How unfair. He did the same with Simms in that Big 12 Champoinship game against Colorado.

The booing is terrible (!) but because the fans can’t boo the HC, the QB gets their wrath. I blame the HC.

If Ehlinger gets booed Saturday or against USC, I’ll blame TH.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I would hope we NEVER boo a Horn who is trying.
    I didn't see any evidence that Sam was not trying
    He may not be the right fit but he is trying
    As were all the ones we sadly have booed.
    Wish we could make sure the team knows it is NOT a player being booed

• Like Like x 2
  25. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Not gonna Boo, but gonna be upset if Shane isn't in real quick.

26. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

27. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Best post I’ve read in some time. Thank you sir

28. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

I've never booed this team but I will admit to being one of the folks who gave a loud and excessive standing ovation when the defense got a 4th quarter stop during Rout 66. With 90% of the stands cleared out and DKR packing the full ambiance of a tomb, I guess we kinda stood out. A couple of players glared at us coming off the field, but I didn't then nor would I now say anything disparaging about them.

I teed off on Mack Brown for years (and still will given even the slightest opportunity) but I'd never bad mouth a player on a forum like this. When it comes to what happens on the football field I fall back on the old saying - when the child sins blame the parent. I really don't like the posts calling out our quarterback and other players by name. Rag on Tom Herman all you want (he's starting to look like he deserves it) but leave the kids alone. That's my stance anyways

• Like Like x 1
  29. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

@El Sapo ... I'm from the camp which recognizes these "kids" are adults and not their first year playing pad football (though sometimes you wonder) ... that means ... 'leave the kids alone' is age/maturity appropriate.

If we are still in the "leave 'em alone" ... then we're still in a participation league ... but, we're not ... this is the real deal. This is Varsity.

Now ... I don't condone personal attacks, but if a college player can't accept criticism of performance, they'll never improve either. The limit on the players is greater than of the coaching staff ... but these aren't junior high kids ... they're not even HS kids.

man up.

• Like Like x 1
  30. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

I certainly get that this is a big boy game with big boy stakes. It's the personal attacks I'm against and the drag down negativity directed at players. Some of these guys do read these boards and folks from other schools most certainly do. None of that paints our fans or The University in a positive light and when we start eating our own it provides ammo for our detractors. I'm not against criticism in any way I just would prefer to see it done with a little more tact sometimes.

• Like Like x 2