Who had "Baylor will embarrass the league"...

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by ProdigalHorn, Mar 17, 2016.

1. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Absolute truth to this statement.

• Like Like x 1
  2. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I didn't see the game, so I didn't know he did all that. If he deserves to be called out on not playing well, maybe so (although do we really use press conferences to call out specific college players on performance?).

I was just going on that one clip, in which--immediately after a very disappointing loss--a reporter asked an abrasive "gotcha" question, with no particular basketball depth, and the Baylor guy stays as cool as a cucumber and gives a Popovich-type response.

I'm glad Baylor and Scott Drew lost, BTW.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

VY,

Anger and dislike of Baylor aside, it was a stupid "look at me" question by some dipsh** wannabe seeking three minutes of fame. The question was obnoxious and nowhere near professional (if there is such a thing in today's media). The look on the Baylor player's face let everyone know what he thought of the question. Being a Baylor athlete, everyone should be pleased that his response wasn't more along the lines of, "What kind of stupid ******* question is that".

For decades we have all referred to "Aggie-ing it". The last few years, we have been able to add "Baylor will Baylor it". As long as I can remember, Baylor never has believed in "post season". They have always been content to just be there. That is a coach who cannot control or motivate his players and has no discipline, but it has defined Baylor in virtually every sport in my lifetime.

4. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Feels about like how Mike Leach would have handled the question.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

That takes talent. Very important in the business world where saying the F word in someone's face will get you fired.

7. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

Speaking of being an embarrassment...

8. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

I was watching the game at a bar, without sound so couldn't hear the announcers.

There was a TV camera pan over to the BU bench late in the game, isolating 3 Bears sitting in a row. It looked like a shot of an NBA squad --- those guys were tall, long, chiseled, NBA-looking athletes.

For those guys to get outrebounded by a group of slide-rule slappin, uh, IBM punchcard punchin, uh, PC programming, uh, App developing gym rats with BandAid repaired bridge of their glasses, seems like a fair question.

I like his kind of snarky response.

But the best response should have been: "Quite simply, they outplayed us, they outcoached us, that's how they outrebounded us."