Who is coming back and coming in now that the draft is completed?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by zork, Jun 17, 2015.

1. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

Who is coming back and coming in now that the draft is completed? Ben and CJ will be missed as well as the Sr's. Who has the scoop?

2. petscii

petscii 250+ Posts

July 17th is the deadline to sign. Although I typically wait for first day of spring semester/quarter to get too damn excited about who might be coming back.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

4. BevoBeef

BevoBeef 250+ Posts

Shaw is playing summer ball per AAS. He was not drafted and looks to be back next yr.

5. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Not surprising some more good arms coming in and it looks like they are all coming. The deadline to go pro is Friday.

Here is one that could contribute right away and Parker Joe Robinson coming back from injury, could also be a big time arm.

Nolan Kingham Baseball Profile | Perfect Game USA

6. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Shaw was a Senior last year. He can't come back.

7. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per HornSports:
    If you missed the news on the message board, utility player Andy McGuire is transferring out of the Texas baseball program. McGuire talked with both NC State and Clemson before deciding on University of South Carolina at Aiken. By transferring to a Division II school, McGuire will be eligible to play immediately.

After 19 starts at third base and three more at DH as a freshman (2014), McGuire was used sparingly as a pitcher in 2015 (12.0 innings pitched). A source close to McGuire told us that the rising junior wanted more playing time and that does not appear likely in Austin.

8. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

He was supposed to be a stud third baseman, with some pop. He just never panned out, like several position players didn't over the last 4-5 years.

Then he became a pitcher, but was at the tail end of the staff, used mainly when games were out of hand. He got some work because of the many extra inning games UT played last season. With all the new arms and the return of some injured arms, he was the odd man out.

9. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

any hitting adviser type coming in to help with the team batting?

10. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

So far nothing has been announced about any coaching changes. I would think if anything comes it would happen before Fall Ball starts.

11. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

if it is not the hitting coaches then is it the recruiting? why can't Texas hit near the upper quartile of the Div 1 NCAA as a team? I am assuming they have not even sniffed middle of the road in recent years as the pitching seems to be the reason for any of the success?(with the exception of the varied timely hitting streaks that have occurred when we least expect it.)

12. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

What I don't understand is how many of the kids enter the program hitting .450 or so in HS and then come here and hit .250. It's not like we don't land solid HS hitters.

Many of them have similar HS numbers at the plate that other kids do who pound the ball in college. There's got to be something to this. Do we adjust their swings or approach to try to match our big park? Whatever it is, the results of our approach is troubling and hurtful to offensive production as of late.

13. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

I would say more about this, but I don't how I could say anymore. I have talked about the lack of discipline at the plate, the bad mechanics, and how this has gone on for so long.

:soapbox:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Unfortunately I don't assume our hitting approach will change until we change the head coach.

15. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

FIFY.

• Like Like x 2
  16. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

NB, why do so many collegiate pitchers have serious arm problems now? I don't believe this was a problem years ago.

17. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Pitchers now throw more innings and more different pitches from an early age.

Baseball is played year round by players now. Players these days concentrate on their given sport, such as baseball, from the time they enter athletics. It didn't use to be that way.

It's very competitive for pitchers from the get go to be recognized and be sought by colleges for scholarships. This means they start throwing a variety of pitches trying to become a top level hurler, as soon as possible.

Select leagues play all year round, there is basically no down time for young baseball players. This puts much more milage on pitcher's arms by the time they reach the college level. That leads to arm problems not seen in the days before, when athletes played whatever sport was in season.

Specialization has led to better players no doubt, in the modern age, but the cost is more wear and tear on players at a much earlier time in their baseball lives. There is even burn out for some players because they eat, sleep, and live baseball from the time they can pick up a baseball.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Unques prist

Unques prist 250+ Posts

As a father of a high level pitcher, I can vouch for NB's comments. From the time my son started pitching at 10, I counted pitches and only permitted him to throw based on Dr. James Andrew's pitch count recommendations. He was only allowed to throw fastballs until he was 14 and then his pitching coach introduced the change up. At 16 his pitching coach introduced the proper way to throw a 12/6 curve. He threw his curve only about 10% of the time until he was 18. He also ran after games, iced his elbow and shoulder, and rested based on Dr. Andrew's guidelines. My son never had arm issues and went to college on a pitching and academic scholarship. However, he decided engineering required too much time and quit baseball after his fall semester.

Bottom line is parents have protect their boys arms with sensible guidelines. In my experience of dealing with coaches, they are in love with the curve ball and under appreciate the change up and fastball command / location.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Can't wait for Feb. 19...UNLV is going down. The first victim on the Horns ascent back to CWS inclusion. Have a strange feeling 2016 is gonna be a special season. :hookem: