Who said this team's not good?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by TexasPelea, Mar 20, 2009.

1. TexasPelea

TexasPelea 100+ Posts

Oh yeah, just about everyone on this board making excuses for the poor play most of the season.

I criticized this team hard when they were losing games they should have been winning because I knew we had the talent capable of playing like we did last night. That my friends, is what the Texas Longhorns are. They are good, they are damn good. Are they good enough to beat Duke? Possibly. We will find out Saturday night.

But all the people saying this team isn't very good don't know what they are talking about. Pittman has become a bona fide star player, AJ is still capable of taking over a game, Damion James has the talent to be an NBA player, and when you get somebody step up and hit big shots like Balbay did last night this team can beat anyone.

Hook 'em Horns... we are that damn good.

2. I did. i don't think we're damn good. We're alright, but I expect dook to beat us.

I'd like it if Texas would Nifong the hell out of their team though.

hook'em horns!

3. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

When they make jumpers, they can beat anybody. That hasn't happened much lately.

4. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

AJ picked a good night to be "on". (any NCAA tourney game is a good night to be "on"). That was our last win of the season most likely. I would like to be wrong...

5. busterbrown16

busterbrown16 1,000+ Posts

I did and I still think so. Minny was not as good as I had been led to believe, but save for an amazing run by Abrams, those teams were fairly evenly matched.

One thing I did think would be interesting would be to see how Minny guarded Abrams. In the AAS today, Chris Ogden was quoted as saying that AJ was glad to get out of the Big 12 because these other teams don't know how to guard him. When you don't run a defense geared toward stopping one jump shooter all year and have to pull it out in the NCAA tournament, it is very tough.

Unfortunately, Duke has the athletes where the above does not matter. We lose by 15 (which is down from the 20 that I originally thought at the beginning of the tournament if we beat Minny).

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Not many of our fans are watching because they voted that this team would not make it to the tourney. Sad because we won a game they thought we would not.

7. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

Hell, I picked us to beat the Gophers on all three of my sheets. To me it wasn't a surprise that we won. It was a pleasant surprise to see us score a few points.

8. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

There's a big gap between "isn't very good" and "damn good". This team has been all over that gap this season.

9. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

10. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

Maybe what we've all learned is that the Big 12 is not slouch of a conference. The teams are well coached and make your life miserable in conference play.... -- then in the big dance, other teams cannot so easily prepare.

I sure hope the majority of the Big 12 teams get to the regionals. Would be fantastic is all six make it. I'm hoping for that.

11. busterbrown16

Okie State, Texas and A&M all have tall tasks to win their games. We will be well served to see three Big 12 teams in the Sweet 16. That would be fairly impressive as a conference considering it was a "down" year.

12. UTAustin92

UTAustin92 250+ Posts

The sad truth is that we do not have a knowledgeable fanbase when it comes to basketball. It will take a while before we get there.

13. Lost_In_Ohio

Lost_In_Ohio 500+ Posts

I did as well. And I am pretty sure that we will not prevail tonight. I hope we win and I will be rooting for us, but I'm not going to be heartbroken if we lose.

14. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Beating Minn is nothing, beating Duke would be awesome!

15. yourlordarileus

yourlordarileus 250+ Posts

I say this team is average. Beat duke.

16. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I am elated any time anybody beats Duke. It does not matter if it is during the regular season or in the March Madness. Now, if WE are the ones who beat them, wow. I cannot say how elated I will be. It would be a double-double.

17. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Beating Duke would erase the pain of the regular season--the hardest to watch of all those under Rick Barnes, bar none.

It probably won't happen, but, damn, wouldn't it feel good if our 'Horns pulled it off?

Thirty more minutes ... [​IMG]

18. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

What he said.

19. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

I never said they weren't good. But I have said and still say they aren't consistent. They have a shooters chance against Duke tonight. But I won't hold my breath.

20. BPIVODA

BPIVODA 25+ Posts

shooters chance with 1-2 shooters on the court at a time. not good.

hope i'm wrong

21. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

just not Duke good.

22. Gontex

Gontex 100+ Posts

I would say that Duke's Coach K is an expert at evaluating teams and he said that Texas is a good basketball team. I believe I'll listen to what he says about the team. Horn's earned everybody's respect this year with their effort against Duke.

23. busterbrown16

What do you think he is going to say after he just got taken to the wire by a #7 seed? The fact is this team was built to fail. No true PG and no shooter other than Abrams (with Harrison Smith riding the pine all year). They way overachieved given their makeup.