Who should be a higher seed?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Horns83, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Horns83

Horns83 500+ Posts

Team A

Current record: 23-2
    Wins over teams currently ranked: None
    Losses to teams currently ranked: vs. #11, vs. #22
    Losses to teams currently unranked: None

Team B

Current Record: 20 - 4
    Wins over teams currently ranked: vs. #3, vs. #4, vs. #6, vs. #21
    Losses to teams currently ranked: vs. #9, vs. #14, vs. #16
    Losses to team currently unranked: one

Should Team A or Team B be the higher seed right now?

2. Zuerst

Zuerst 250+ Posts

3. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

I'm going to go ahead and say B. But i may be biased

4. L.A.Longhorn

L.A.Longhorn 250+ Posts

tough choice

hmm, I choose B and just hand them the championship while I'm at it.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn 250+ Posts

Have Team A and Team B played head-to-head? [​IMG]

6. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

I think if the Longhorns can continue to play well and take the lion's share of the remaining 7 games... I think it's 3 on the road, and 4 at home, but also includes the next two Big Monday games.. they should get a #2 regional seed.

I think they have earned a top 8 position over a lot of teams, but still almost half a conference season to go. They are 7-2 in conference play and a tough finish ahead. They play K-State on the road a week from next Monday.

If they stuggle the rest of the way they still should be a #3 and finish in the top 12 seed-wise. But I'm hoping the bench experience and the experience they gained from tonight, will help them win nearly all the remaining conference games.

It's
    at Baylor, Saturday
    atm, Big Monday next monday
    OU at home, on 2/23
    then at K-State for the third consecutive Big Monday
    3/1, T-Tech in Lubbock
    3/4, Nebraska at Erwin
    3/9, Okie State at Erwin

That schedule will tell a lot, and will be enough more of a challenge because they will move into the Top 10 after tonight's game if they can handle Baylor in Waco next Monday. They're fast becoming on the hot seat as the team with a bull's eye on their back. Highly ranked with a bunch of big scalps on their belt.

7. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Too early to say

8. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

Screw all of that....

Let's win out and be a number one seed lock before the Big XII Tourney.

9. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

Kansas...

10. KosherHorn

KosherHorn 250+ Posts

Kansas for now but your point is well taken. They haven't beaten a top team, though they have some nice wins over Arizona and USC, but their two losses at KSU and Texas aren't anything to cry about. Texas has better wins but worse losses.

I just wrote this on Orangebloods and thought I'd copy it here. Here is why KU would be a higher seed today... ESPN.com lately has had some very good articles on what the committee takes into account when determining seeds. A good deal of it has to do with quantitative factors such as who a team beats, RPI, SOS, etc.... But another factor - which I don't agree with but it's on the record as true - is how a team looks. That's why Florida got the overall #1 seed last year although their resume wasn't close to the best. It's this last factor that will make it very hard for UT to get a 1 seed because, quite frankly, I think many of us will agree that KU is the better team despite what happened last night. Same with Memphis, Duke, UNC, and even UCLA even though Texas beat them. I'm not saying that's fair - and again I disagree with it - but that's the way it is. So KU deserves the 1 seed currently, but Texas is right there in the mix and a solid 2 seed today.

Now, if KU loses 3-4 more games and UT only loses 1-2 more games the rest of the way, then those quantitative factors like who you beat and SOS might be too much for the committee to ignore, and UT may leapfrog KU. However, getting into Houston may be better than getting a 1 seed and being sent to Phoenix, where it's quite possible UCLA would be the 2 seed. The best case scenario is for Texas to get the 2 seed in Houston (Memphis probably has the 1 seed in Houston in the bag) but sent somewhere else besides Little Rock for their first two NCAA games since 10K Memphis fans will be there to watch their team and to cheer loud as hell against Texas, if they wind up in the same Houston region. Not to mention the Arkansas fans who will show up just to cheer against the Horns.

11. The Horn Identity

The Horn Identity 500+ Posts

Geez, I just got to looking at this schedule again. We work our asses of to get by KU, then it is:
    at Baylor, Saturday
    atm, Big Monday next monday
    OU at home, on 2/23 (will Longar be back?)
    then at K-State for the third consecutive Big Monday

That's brutal. I'll be 'happy' if we go 2-2.

12. Horns83

Horns83 500+ Posts

I was not necessarily making the argument that Texas should be a higher seed than KU right now (though I do think it is a valid one). I really just wanted to show that the difference between the two teams isn't as great as some people seem to think. It will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

13. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Depends on which conference Team A is from.

14. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

While we're on the subject, why the hell is Butler ranked in the Top 10?
    Look at their schedule. They actually lost to Wright State 43-42!!!The Link

15. Horns83

Horns83 500+ Posts

16. TheContractor

TheContractor 250+ Posts

i think pretty much everyone knows what 2 team you are talking about but i like the ?.
    personally, regardless of who the 2 teams are i would have team B higher, especially if team B beat team A. i am a big believer in SOS.

there is A LOT of ball left to be played guys b4 we get into all this seeding stuff. lets beat the teams we should beat. at baylor might be a tough one because we dont seem to play well away from home. Aggie and KSt on back to back BIG mondays will go a long way in trying to get into the Houston bracket.
    i dont care what seed we are as long as we are in the Houston bracket, to me that is the most important thing.

17. OrangeChipper

OrangeChipper 1,000+ Posts

Team A could be Tennessee if you change it to top 20 teams

18. 2feathers

2feathers 250+ Posts

Beauty Pageant seeding all the way.