Who will replace Riley at blow/u

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by EDT, Nov 28, 2021.

1. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I vote Brent Venables.

• Hot Hot x 1
  2. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Is that like me voting in a Republican primary though? They have removed the tweet of Venables son and a few Clemson players flying the horns down. I thought you'd appreciate it.

Rampant speculation alert, you could be right. I always liked that guy.

3. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

If I recall correctly - wasn't Venables fired as DC so Stoops could bring in his brother to be DC? How would Venables feel about going back to the school that fired him - especially when Bob Stoops still wields a lot of influence?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

He left on his own. He wasn't fired. Heupel was fired.

5. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I didn't say he was a good choice for OU, I said he was my vote. :yippee:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

My brother lives in Edmond Ok and is a okie lite fan. He just told me that the blow/u meltdown is epic. You have to love it.
    :popcorn::ousucks:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

My speculation is, in no particular order, Mike Stoops, Heupel, or Bob Stoops. But there are others, like Fickel.

They need to quickly stabilize the program. What Riley is doing to them -- if indeed he (unethically, IMO) takes players and recruits with him -- would be devastating.

Like my buddy mentioned, when Texas hired Mack, he specifically encouraged NC recruits to honor their commitment to that school. Riley has a chance to do the same. I don't believe he has the ethical compass to do so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

Stoops is the choice if he wants it.

9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Is there a chance in hell Castiglione would hire back a guy he fired? Not likely.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Thanks, Bubba - guess I remembered incorrectly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Is it just me or did OU just make an emotional hire without doing their due diligence? They literally ran this man off several years ago.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  12. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

SabreHorn, I am loving every post you put up.:hookem::hookem:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

BIL,

To whom are you referring?

14. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Sorry for the confusion, assuming they hire Venables

15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I really don't like that guy. He tried to copy Bo Pelini running on the field, yelling at our players. Thought he was pretty classless, but at least he didn't punch and/or kick our players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  16. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

That’s not how he left Texas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Totally different circumstances. Mack left NC for a better job. He was shown the door at Texas and did everything possible to keep Saban from coming to Texas.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I’d trust what you say here, but he was fired more than 10 years ago and has done well since as a head coach versus a coordinator. The person in charge at the time really was responsible for the performance and why the reorganization occurred including his brother. But he is a candidate?

19. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I’m with you. The dude just seems like a weenie and always seeking attention.

20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I remember when Venables left, the Sooner fans were so glad to have him gone and have Mike Stoops back.

Then they quickly started saying how much they hated Mike and wanted Venables back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

OU should hire someone who can do reasonably well but not good enough to keep us from stomping the f**k out of them most years

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Shane Beamer

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

Looks like you're gonna be the winner.

24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not sure he knows how to cheat without using airline tickets, and that's gotten a lot harder to do.

25. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

DD, It's a perfect fit. They send as many to the big house as they do the NFL. Plus the recruits will know that they can have their way with the girls.

• Like Like x 1
  26. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Ha....

I heard an interview on Dan Patrick this morning with a long-time beat reporter for an Oklahoma newspaper. He mentioned how OU very much has a history of hiring HC's who had never been a HC (except for Schnellenberger, who he described as a disaster). He said Beamer, who was on Riley's staff, would probably have already been given the job, except he's now the South Carolina coach. Still, it sounded as if he was a top candidate.

27. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Something a little lost in translation here because I think that was exactly my point. Moreover, if one is going to make a reference inferring Mack was somehow honorable with his UNC players when a change of venue was a good move for him then it’s incomplete to fail to address how he went out like a petulant little ***** & tried to scuttle our program when it wasn’t good for him.

• Like Like x 2
  28. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

I had to come out of the studio for this one. OU is in a very tough spot here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Every competent AD has a list of coaching targets in their back pocket for all sports. One can only conjecture what happened/is happening at ou, but I would listen to Sabre. Or it could be everyone on ou's AD's list either has just moved or is not answering their phone.

30. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

There are good coaches out there, but not all fits for OU in my opinion. I think Campbell is great, but not a good fit. Dan Mullen might be a good option. Great offense, knows the SEC and isn’t afraid to bend rules.

• Agree Agree x 1