Whooda thought we'd need Dion Dowell?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Horns11, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

He's shooting 42 percent from threes and leads UH in rebounding. I guess we probably wouldn't have him any longer because he sat a year to play at Cougar High, but man, we need some depth.

2. elface

elface 250+ Posts

I'd rather have Dugat.

3. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

He is an incredible athlete. I knew we would end up missing him. I think Barnes could have developed him into an NBA caliber player.

4. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

I regretted missing on Dugat the day he committed.

However, the solution to this team's woes isn't a player like Dugat or Dowell. There are some serious issues going on which has transformed this team from top ten status in the first ten games or so, to a team that if it weren't for its early season wins, wouldn't look like they should make the tournament.

5. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

been a while since a ut fan wished he had a baylor player in basketball

dugat was terrific last night, saved our non-rebounding butts

6. Heretic Horn

Heretic Horn 250+ Posts

SL, what are the serious issues in your opinion?

7. EJC+1

EJC+1 250+ Posts

Dion would've helped bigtime this year. However, when one starts complaining about playing time when they've been injured and hadn't earned it, then one starts to become a cancer.

8. wright11

wright11 25+ Posts

9. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

Since the UCLA game this team has lost some of its "team" play due in part to opponents' defensive strategies, but it seems that there is something else at work here. They need to return to the pass first, shoot second mentality that prevailed early in the season. This is particularly true of Augustin whose per game assists are down (with a few exceptions) and whose turnovers have increased (including offensive fouls on ill-timed drives to the hoop). The teams' assist to turnover ratio went into the shitter after UCLA, negative in a couple of games. Perhaps the "best point guard in the country" coverage got to him or a little bird told him that his draft stock will rise if he uses every game to showcase his individual scoring talents rather than working on dishing out 10 plus assists every game. He should take note of TJ Ford's success as a player and in the draft as evidence that a college guard needn't score 25 ppg to be a lottery pick. He is not playing like the best point guard in the country right now, as evidenced by his recent abysmal free throw shooting and declining assist to TO ratio.

I don't know what has caused Mason's decline. He was playing excellent ball early, just as he did last season. He was hurt last year and never healed 100%. I haven't read anything about his being hurt this year. He is definitely in a slump. His TOs per minute played are way up and his FG% is way down.

Atchley apparently hurt his elbow and that may be a reason that he is not receiving the ball as much as he did earlier in the year when he was scoring high double figures every game. If the guards know one of their teammates is having trouble handling or shooting the ball, they won't pass to him nearly as much as if he were healthy.

This bunch is extremely talented athletically, but presently does not have great chemistry. Barnes must be going nuts with these players and is facing one of the greatest challenges he has encountered at Texas bringing this team together. The next week or two will tell the tale because this is a tough conference.

One two-edged bright spot is James whose performance has exceeded expectations, but this means he is more likely to bolt to the NBA.

10. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

11. Heretic Horn

Heretic Horn 250+ Posts

12. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Uh, Bob, wouldn't this be Dowell's senior year? Along with Aldridge and Gibson and a non-redshirted Atchley?

And Durant's sophmore year.

Not that any of us expected Aldridge or Durant to last here that long. Wished, maybe. Oh, the dreams of college b-ball fans.

13. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

14. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

15. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

bierce, you are correct. I don't know what I was thinking... well, actually, I do know what I was thinking, but it was not what Dion did.

Anyway, it's irrelevant because he never would be playing 34 minutes a game at Texas.

16. gnaiko

gnaiko 25+ Posts

Who we really need is Darrel Arthur. Imagine what a class it would have been - DJ, K Durant, Arthur, Damion James and the others. The only thing is we don't have scholarships, most likely Harrison Smith would have been left out.

With Darrel, Texas would be a complete team.

I don't know why kids from S Oak Cliff don't come to Texas. Anyone knows? The coach has a beef with TX? If Darrel came to Texas, he would have lots of playing time immediately. Wonder why he didn't.

17. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

If we got Darrell Arthur, more than likely Damion James wouldn't be on campus right now.