who's better case or colt?

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by LAktownhorn, Feb 17, 2010.

1. LAktownhorn

LAktownhorn 250+ Posts

i know pretty much nothing about case. and i really knew nothing about colt before he actually started playing as a freshman.

so at this point in their careers, who was the better qb?

2. slim09

slim09 < 25 Posts

I think Connor is better than Case so it doesn't really matter. Althoughi have no source but I have heard Case was better is HS than Colt.

3. DelRioHorn

DelRioHorn 25+ Posts

someone look up completion % for Colt vs. Case in their Senior year...I think you'll notice a difference.

4. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

Yea, if anyone can bring up some stats that'd be good. I think some people are going to overestimate Case based on Colt's success, just as much as people underestimated Colt based on his relative obscurity.

5. bevaux

bevaux 250+ Posts

High School passing stats for what it's worth in determining the future (not much):

Colt (3 years of varsity) 9,334 yards 116 TD's (64.8% as a senior)

Case (4 years of varsity) 10,711 yards 111 TD's (60.0% as a senior)

Mr. McCoy has said Case is further along than Colt at this stage. For those thinking Connor "is better so it doesn't matter", hmmmm...wonder where on earth you can make that leap of determination from? Not so fast my friend. This will be a great competition to watch. IMO, Case is further along than Connor in knowledge of the game. Connor has a stronger arm (Snead had a stronger arm than Colt). If you have ever played QB, you know without a doubt there are so MANY intangibles here it is impossible to call at this juncture. To do so is a fools game, but it makes for good conversation. [​IMG]

6. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

7. bevaux

bevaux 250+ Posts

"Garrett" ?? as in Gilbert? Yes, he will start the next 3 years. My take is Sherrod Harris backs him up and we redshirt Case and Connor barring an injury to Gilbert or Harris. That leaves them with 4 years when Gilbert is a junior (unless he leaves early).

8. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Ask me this in four or five years...Case McCoy may not get the on-field experience in his career that his older brother did.

9. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

Case needs to bulk up (much like Colt did), but I believe that he will compete. [​IMG]

10. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

With this said imagine the pressure this young man is coming in with. I guess you could compare it to Jordans son stepping on a bb court. There again having the luxury of not being thrust into playing ie Gilbert will certainly be a plus.

11. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

12. HI_McDunnough

HI_McDunnough 500+ Posts

Case or Connor? We will find out in spring and summer. Connor was more highly recruited but that doesn't mean jack ****. Javon Snead found that out.

Either way, I think we should get the backup more playing time this year. Forget about Heisman and all of that. We found out that you are one play away from bringing in your second guy for good. Make sure they are prepared.

13. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

14. longtex

longtex Guest

In reply to:

15. adUTleander

adUTleander 250+ Posts

16. djezspread

djezspread 100+ Posts

Real question is, do you redshirt the guy you think is actually the better of the two to get more separation from Gilbert for the guy with the better chance to be your starter one day?

17. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

18. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

leander,

While I et what you are saying, GG had the opportunity to get many snaps against Baylor as that game was OVER at half time. Opportunity squandered.

[​IMG]

19. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

yep, opportunity squandered. Whenever I read ideas like this, I always go back to DKR, I read one year, I think it was '69 the 2nd team earned their letters before the first team did, because they had played so much.

You should also follow DKRs "dance with the one who brung you" philosophy. When he put in the 2nd team they contined the same gameplan, which happened to be running.

When we put in the 2nd team, they totally change what they are doing. Sure, the 2nd team QB might pass one out of three downs, but is that what we do with the first team in? NO, we pass more like 2 out of three times. That's how GG ends up throwing the ball 26 times, when it could have easily been 40 to 50 something.

He was in ball games early enough, he was stuck handing off.

Why is Mack afraid of the "stigma" of having a backup QB ready?

I don't know. But I do know the injury to Colt wasn't totally out of the blue. There were warning shots.

The "football gods" gave us warning in '06 with Colt getting injured, then again against Nebraska, the one sideline play when it looked like Colt had injured his wrist.

So, let's see if the team has learned anything. Unfortunately, this year the excuse will be that GG needs all of the reps he can get. So, what will he be doing in the 4th quarter of games with a 30+ point lead??

Why handing off, of course, NOT EXECUTING the gamelpan.

And how does that help him get ready for a tough opponent?

20. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Right. I don't care if the backup gets "meaningful" time when the game is on the line, in fact I'd rather have my starter in at that point. But, when the backup DOES come in, he needs to be running the full offense, not just handing off.

In the MNC game, GG handed off the entire first half, because that's all the coaches were comfortable letting him do, because that's all they'd allowed him to do all season long.

Any time the backup is in, he needs to be running the real offense, and I sincerely pray our coaches have learned that lesson... finally.

21. longtex

longtex Guest

22. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

I think we should get the backup more playing time this year.

Come on guys your beating a dead horse. What d1 schools give there back up's significant playing time? It's a grand idea and i feel with a seasoned QB that you should but it doesn't happen.

23. longtex

longtex Guest

24. TexasTower

TexasTower 500+ Posts

I love these play the backup more threads. As far as last year goes, we had a Heisman trophy candidate that we didn't pad his stats near enough to win it.

GG needs to play as much as he can to get us back to the MNC. I'd rather have a polished starter than a good starter and an adequate backup.

No matter the team, if you get a starting QB go down you're team's in trouble, no matter the level.

25. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

26. texaszete

texaszete 100+ Posts

27. longtex

longtex Guest

28. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris 25+ Posts

I think Ash will end up being the QB once Gilbert is done. From what I have seen of Ash in person (and McCoy and Wood on film), Ash is a more complete QB than the other two.

29. bevaux

bevaux 250+ Posts

I remember all the Colt doubters. Watch out for Case. He will add 15-18 pounds in all the right places and will be solidly in the mix. Extremely well developed regarding the game.