Who's the 2nd-greatest NFL WR ever?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Beau Vine, Jan 28, 2008.

1. anotherwebexpert

anotherwebexpert 100+ Posts

How can you say pass rushers today are so much better than in the 50's? If I am not mistaken the NFL didn't even keep the pass rushing stats that they do today so what is your measuring stick?

Ask anyone that had to block guys like Deacon Jones about how much better today's pass rushers are compared to then.

2. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

3. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

4. mark05

mark05 < 25 Posts

5. flyinsquirrl

flyinsquirrl 25+ Posts

Mark "Super" Duper ...and it's not even close. [​IMG]

6. Trilla

Trilla 25+ Posts

Randy Moss

7. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

8. launceston

launceston 250+ Posts

Yeah, Rice is #1 in my book. And to think, my Cowboys really wanted him bad that year. Damn 49ers moved up to get him. [​IMG]

As for the earlier post on Lynn Swann, give me his teammate John Stallworth anyday of the week. Swann might have been flashier, but Stallworth was the better player in my book.

9. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd 100+ Posts

Someone mentioned Rice's supporting cast, including the two HoF QBs.

Rice made those guys HoF'ers. Look back to his college days. Willie Totten set over 50 I-AA passing records throwing to Rice, and ended up a spare in the CFL.

Joe Montana was already great when Rice arrived, and got better with him. I'm not gonna dispute that because the numbers clearly indicate that. It's debatable, though, if he would have stayed as good as long with just another star WR, as opposed to the greatest ever.

Steve Young, on the other hand, was regarded as a bust until he started throwing to Rice. His teams went 4-28 in Tampa. Throw Rice in the mix and suddenly he goes on an incredible HOF run that began much later in his career than it did for almost anybody else.

The Niners had it going on then. It didn't matter who their QB was. Hell, Steve F'n Bono used to light it up when they plugged him in.

QBs, RBs, TES and OL came and went. The one constant on the Niners O was Jerry Rice. I don't think any other NFL dynasty's offense revolved as much around a WR as the Niners.

10. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

11. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

12. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

13. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

I think you have to say Jerry Rice is the best of all time or people get insulted. Kind of like saying Jordan wasn't the best of all time or the Beatles and Radiohead are over-rated. You would have thought you insulted somebody's mother. That being said, Jerry Rice is a good choice. Now, if you ask me who's the most talented receiver in the history of the NFL, I'd answer Randy Moss without blinking.

14. Bluff Horn

Bluff Horn 250+ Posts

Rice # 1, Hutson # 2 and everybody is everybody else.

Rice and Hutson absolutely dominated in their respective eras. They were as dominant, if not moreso, as any other playerin the league, regardless of position, in their resective eras.

15. TEXumAS

TEXumAS 25+ Posts

"How much do you know about Hutson's peers?"

Considering that Hutson's best years came in the middle of WW II, I'd think that the talent pool might have been a little shallow due to the draft & voluntary enlistments...just a thought for you Rice bashers.

16. anotherwebexpert

anotherwebexpert 100+ Posts

Yeah, it would make perfect sense that a 60+ year old Deacon Jones might just have a few problems tackling Vince Young.

Again, the rules were different, style of play was different, as well as other areas such as conditioning, nutrition, and medical play. It would seem to me that a some point you would stop comparing players who played over 30 years apart and maybe consider how dominant each where versus their respective peers.

17. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

Reggie Bush, by default. Rice and Hudson are just placeholders there just temporarialy until RB takes his rightful place at the head of the line.

18. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

19. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

20. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

21. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

A tie between Billy "White Shoes" Johnson and Golden Richards.

22. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

23. Mitch Cumsteen

Mitch Cumsteen 250+ Posts

24. hobbs4heisman

hobbs4heisman 100+ Posts

guys that I have seen play: 1. rice hands down, 2. art monk, 3. tie cris carter, james lofton, randy moss, michael irvin

25. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

Don't know how the thread made it this far without one mention of Al Toon.

26. Hes not here

Hes not here 100+ Posts

Rice's YPC is not even up for discussion. This guy revolutionized what receivers did after the catch. There was a thing that John Madden wouldn't shut up about called YAC and it started because of Rice. Nobody in the league could explain why a receiver was taking a 5 yard slant to the house play after play because it was never done in the frequency Rice did. But you guys have made a novel out of arguing stats on this thread, which is worthless when you take a good look at what Rice was about. I said it before, he was amazing in the clutch. People put Rice on top because, like Jordan and Bird, he was a winner. He was a touchdown machine in the biggest games. The only big game I can think of where he didn't step up was the Cowboys NFC title game in 92. And even then he started the game off with a potentially crushing 65 yard td that was called back. There isn't a receiver who can hold his jock in the biggest moments. When you come up with an argument to that, get back to me

Don Hutson, are we seriously going there? He is the new obscure hornsfan icon. Talk about a random player to go apeshit over. Almost reminds me of my grandpa getting gunhoe over Halas's Bears in raspy voice to the point where he looked like he was going to kick my ***. Right, pops. You have to be in love with the guy to take him over Rice, or vice versa and just hate Jerry Rice, there's no other way to put it. And that's fine, but nobody is going to take you seriously in an objective debate about the two. Take Wes Welker, throw him back in that era and you get Don Hutson. The level of competition clearly, clearly was not then what it is now. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what is being said, and I hope I am if that is a point being made. It's ridiculous to think otherwise

27. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

28. win1

win1 25+ Posts

Another vote for Drew Pearson.

29. overmaars

overmaars 1,000+ Posts

Drew Hill

30. runthebone

runthebone 100+ Posts

It's totally consistent to say that the last years of Rice's career brought his averages down, making those stats less significant. My argument isn't based on the few additional catches and touchdowns he had after he turned 36. He had a decade and a half of the highest level greatness. When he would beat a defender and stick his hand up, the defensive back would crap his pants while his head exploded. Rice's numbers only enhance the argument that he is undoubtedly the greatest receiver of all time and one of the greatest--if not the greatest--offensive weapon of all time. Maybe we should ask Toast Dimry.