Who's the fifth starter this year?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Omniscient.one, May 25, 2017.

1. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Four starters are all but locked in IMO.

PG Coleman
    SG A. Jones
    SF ??
    PF Osetkowski
    C Bamba

I say Hamm starts at SF (size/scoring) with Sims (size/athleticism) taking a good share of PT, but I'm curious what the consensus is.

Now the bench is a different story.

2. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

I think Febres may be the best Swingman on the team and our best pure shooter. Guess it depends on how big (or fast) Shaka wants to run. Unlike last year, we have so many viable options and different potential lineups to work with.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  3. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

SF = Bowen. :smile1: :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  4. ronich

ronich 100+ Posts

Second for Bowen :bounce2:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Omniscient.one

I had no idea he's a 2017 recruit, thought he was 2018. I can't see how he could see that opening and that talent and not come. And I see the most recent CB, by a Michigan State reporter, is for Texas. Hells jeah! Well maybe

• Like Like x 2
  6. blh111

blh111 < 25 Posts

PG: Coleman/Young
    SG: Jones/Davis
    SF: Febres/Bowen (if we get him)/Roach
    PF: Osetkowski/Sims/Hamm
    C: Bamba/Banks

If we get Bowen, I would still bring him off the bench. I like the shooting of Febres, to go along with the other players in the starting line-up.

We are going to have a great season.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Omniscient.one

Just watched some Febres highlights. Anyone know his senior year 3P%? He has an unorthodox leg kick in his follow through but I found this in the article linked below: "There’s school, of course, but during fifth period he’s in the gym. He puts up 100 shots from five different areas from mid-range, then moves back and puts up 100 more shots from five areas along the 3-point line." So he's already doing what it takes to be an elite shooter, and ESPN describes him as (paraphrased) lights out from deep. But his size makes me think he backs up Jones unless he just kills it in the preseason and/or if he's carrying his weight and we play a smaller team. Just to clarify though, having this discussion (i.e. multiple talented players in competition) is a fantastic thing.

http://247sports.com/Article/Basket...Houston-Westfields-Jase-Febres-has-b-52795731

8. Omniscient.one

No words can describe the joy of seeing the second highlight on this:

9. Omniscient.one

I've never been as excited about an incoming class. I see that the 2004, 2006, and 2009 were rated higher but there's something special about this class. Bamba and Coleman we know are elite, but it's the other three that make this class the best. I don't see a "project" that needs more development out of the five.

• Like Like x 2
  10. blh111

blh111 < 25 Posts

Febres is big enough to guard the 2 or the 3, in college basketball. Febres is 6'5 & 180. Febres is bigger and taller than Roach, he has 2 inches on Davis, so if we do not get Bowen, Febres is your best option, to play beside Jones and Coleman. Even if we get Bowen, I hope Febres earns the nod. We need shooters.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  11. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

I've scoured the scouting pay sites and stat subscriptions sites on the webz for HS or AAU stats on Febres and I just can't find any. Scouting reports indicate he had sort of a mediocre HS/AAU career until late but he came on fast and furious. Jase's form and release remind me of AJ Abrams.

Some interesting summaries of Febres from the Jon Lucas Lab Experience Eval of his Junior and Senior AAU campaigns with TexasPro:

2016: "Streaky shooter, but [he] was nearly automatic from 3-point range all weekend. Febres is among the best scorers in Houston, and his marksmanship allows him to go by defenders and get to the basket, where he can finish with either hand. His elite size for the position also allows him to fire in mid-range jumpers with little room to maneuver".

2017: "One thing I give Jase; he hasn't seen a shot he doesn't like. He's not afraid to put it up from anywhere on the court. When I watch him play, even the shots that don't go in look good. Now with that being said he didn't make many people around him better. If he's not hitting shots, he's not helping you much. He has the ability to evolve his game to be more complete. He needs to understand the more you can do the more you become valuable to a team"

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  12. Omniscient.one

That's funny because his shot reminds me of JR Smith and seems he's also streaky like him. I don't see this guy starting this year after reading that, seems a lot like Roach, which isn't a compliment. Not a fan of players who aren't selective with shots. I'm thinking Hamm starts.

13. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

THIS.

Bowen enrolled at Louisville so we can scratch that game plan. Roach is as streaky as anyone but in every category, not just shooting. I think what Texas has been missing for a long time is a pure shooter. We haven't really had one since Jordan Hamilton. If that's Febres, he needs to be in the lineup. A lot.

14. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

It'll be Roach. He started all but two games last year. He was our 3rd leading scorer. He was playing out of position last year, and I think the sophomore slump will be motivation for him to be a better slasher and teammate next season.

We'll see the 3-guard lineup get the majority of the starts. Sims will get a few minutes from Osetkowski, but Banks will probably get more from a sub rotation involving Dylan and Bamba. Hamm is going to have to compete with Banks for backup time, not at a swing position, as he's bulked up since his Jr year in HS. Febres will compete with (and beat out) Davis as the primary shooting backup when we need that spark, either at the 2 or a hybrid-3. I think Young will be the other guard who gets 5-8 minutes.

15. Omniscient.one

I know Smart will put the best fit out there, but if it's Roach he's going to have had to make some adjustments with shot selection and moving the ball or everyone else seriously underperforms. I don't think anything is set in stone though.