'Why are people from Texas........so proud?'

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by txboy_in_az, Jun 10, 2008.

1. good call on south carolina flags. i see A LOT of those on vehicles here in Austin. the tree and crescent moon... nice flag. but it aint no lone star.

2. That's Right

That's Right 500+ Posts

3. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

4. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

few buddies that are ohio state fans/from the midwest came down for the tosu game a few yrs back. they were kind of put off by the whole 'Tx pride' thing at first then didn't want to leave by the end of the weekend (i imagine the W had something to do w/ it). they still speak very fondly of the weekend in general and always talk of making another trip down this way (they were the good apples of ohio state fans).

5. YChang

YChang 500+ Posts

Born in India, grew up in Taiwan....but I identify myself as a Texan whey I travel abroad. [​IMG]

6. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

7. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

8. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

9. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

There are ppl in the rest of the country are proud of their regions... southern pride for instance. Texas is a unique place - a region unto ourselves. There is a mythos attached to the state that does run back to the time of the empresarios. We consider ourselves the descendents of Austin, Houston, Travis, Seguin and yes, Crockett.

If anybody has ever been to Bob Wills Days in Turkey, eaten gorditas at the Little Diner in Canutillo, floated the Guadalupe up from the grist mill in Gruene, danced the night away under the stars on a summer night at Garner State Park, watched the sunset turn the sky ten shades of orange from Enchanted Rock, reeled in a twelve pound channel cat from the Neches, spent the Friday night before Labor Day drinking beer and smoking cabrito in Brady, stood from the top of Guadalupe Peak, or sank your teeth into a Fletcher's covered in mustard ten minutes after kicking the **** out of the inbreds from Mobilehoma -- they would not ask this question.

10. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

You forgot viewing the beautiful white sand beaches & getting an awesome 1st tan of the year while performing a keg stand down at South Padre Island during the month of March.

That one will always bring a tear to my eye.

11. horn section

horn section 100+ Posts

Orange and white said it right. plus if you don't believe us we'll kick your a$$!!!!

12. naked_bongo

naked_bongo 500+ Posts

13. dark_arts

dark_arts 25+ Posts

I think the crescent moon on the South Carolina flag symbolizes a pin of that shape that Confederate soldiers from South Carolina wore during the Civil War. I don't think it has anything to do with the Middle East. Could be wrong.

I was in a deposition in Denison several years ago with a bunch of lawyers from California. One of the guys from California starts talking about how proud Texans are of their state and how California is better. He then listed all of the different geographical features in California to support this - mountains, beaches, forests, deserts. I kindly pointed out to him that we have all those in Texas.

14. bighornfan32

bighornfan32 100+ Posts

15. AnotherUTFan

AnotherUTFan 25+ Posts

1)Barbecue - Tx Win
    2) Football - Tx: 2 NFL Teams, CA 3 NFL teams. CA Wins
    3) Mexican food - Draw
    4) Music - Edge California (i.e. Metallica, G&R, Motley Crue, The Doors, Beach Boys Vs ZZ Top, SRV, Buddy Holly, & T-Bone Walker)
    5) no smog - Houston vs LA. Hmmm. Draw
    6) Beaches - Blowout CA
    7) Mountains - Blowout CA
    8) Redneck Hicks - Blowout Texas
    9) College Football - Blowout for Texas
    10) Weather - CA

Don't knock CA. When Texans visit CA, I hear how much they loved it. When Californians visit Texas, I hear how happy they are to be home (Austin withstanding).

Personally, I love both.

Moderator, you can ban me now.

16. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

All that stuff about California is true. A lot of you should move there, or stay there if you are already there. There is nothing in Texas for you. It is featureless, filled with fireants, rattlesnakes, rednecks and smog. Stay where you are, and enjoy it.

17. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Couldn't agree more. Texas is a horrible place. The entire state is a desert with no water, the women are ugly, the people are all redneck hillbillies, there are packs of organ-thieves roaming the streets who will steal your kidneys, and beer is illegal.

Please do yourself a favor and don't move here, or if you are already suffering the torment of living in Texas, I urge you to save yourself and leave as quickly as you can.

Thank You For Your Support.

18. CBDTexas

CBDTexas 100+ Posts

19. drunkfan#1

drunkfan#1 100+ Posts

20. Texas Wahoo

Texas Wahoo 1,000+ Posts

21. LHB_SOB

LHB_SOB 250+ Posts

I'm about as Texan as they come, but I went North (PA) for grad school. I'm starting to get these folks educated on Texana and, believe it or not, it's starting to work. I'll keep the preaching the Gospel.

22. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

Texas is more than just a physical place. It's an ideal. It's the wild west. It's cowboys. It's go-getters. It's shootouts at the OK Corral. It's dreaming big and living large. It's a giant ******* frontier.

People in Texas embrace that.

23. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

24. madscientist

madscientist 1,000+ Posts

25. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

26. andaval

andaval 100+ Posts

Not only does Metallica count against California at this point, but it's criminal to leave Pantera off of the Texas side of that list.

27. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

add Van Halen and Merle Haggard to the cali side of the ledger.

28. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Surely most here would remember the quote on Texas from John Steinbeck, a Californian native.

"When I started this narrative, I knew that sooner or later I would have to have a go at Texas, and I dreaded it. I could have bypassed Texas about as easily as a space traveler can avoid the Milky Way. It sticks its big old Panhandle up north and slopes and slouches along the Rio Grande. Once you are in Texas, it seems to take forever to get out, and some people never make it.
    Let me say in the beginning that even if I wanted to avoid Texas I could not, for I am wived in Texas and mother-in-lawed and uncled and aunted and cousined within an inch of my life. Staying away from Texas geographically is no help whatever, for Texas moves through our house in New York, our fishing cottage at Sag Harbour, and when we had a flat in Paris, Texas was there too. It permeates the world to a ridiculous degree. Once, in Florence, on seeing a lvoely little Italian princess, I said to her father, "But she doesn't look Italian. It may seem strange, but she looks like an American Indian." To which her father replied, "Why shouldn't she? Her grandfather married a Cherokee in Texas."
    Writers facing the problem of Texas find themselves floundering in generalities, and I am no exception. Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word. Adn there's an opening covey of generalities. A Texan outside of Texas is a foreigner. My wife refers to herself as the Texan that got away, but that is only party true. She has virtually no accent until she talks to a Texan, when she instantly reverts."

-John Steinbeck

Also, Southerner do associate more with their state than those in the north. When I went to seminary in Chicago, and there were people there from all over the US. (and beyond).
    Those from Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, always when asked, "where are you from?" Answered by state name.
    Those from the West or North East did not.

Texas of course is it's own.

29. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I am indeed familiar with the Steinbeck quote. [​IMG]

30. Texas Wahoo

Texas Wahoo 1,000+ Posts