Why are there no Krogers in Austin?

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by WhoseHouse, Jun 2, 2008.

1. WhoseHouse

WhoseHouse 250+ Posts

I just moved back from Houston and I think the only things I miss are Kroger and Lupe Tortilla. F Randalls [​IMG]

2. Jellydonuts

Jellydonuts 250+ Posts

HEB > Kroger > Randalls > Albertsons.

3. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

I am going to Lupe tonight. Hooray me

4. Math Mudrat

Math Mudrat 250+ Posts

Saying Randalls > Albertsons is like saying youd rather get punched in the balls than kicked in the balls

5. longyak

longyak 250+ Posts

HEB kills Kroger's on price and selection and is so well established in Austin Kroger's can forget it.

6. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

We used to have Kroger's in Austin. The "Ross Dress For Less" on Burnet Road between 183 and Anderson was originally a Kroger's. But HEB pretty much kicked 'em out of town a couple of decades ago.

7. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Because Kroger's sucks.

Jelly -- I agree with your hierarchy, though several years back (before the family sold the chain to Safeway) Randall's may have been the best of those.

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

HEB really is a fantastic store. Maybe you go to a bad location like the one on Riverside or something but I heart HEB. The only other store I can think of liking near that much would be Giant Foods in Virginia. Then again, the location I went to in Arlington had so much hot tail walking around the aisles that I cannot remember much other than that.

9. Jellydonuts

Jellydonuts 250+ Posts

"Saying Randalls > Albertsons is like saying youd rather get punched in the balls than kicked in the balls"

Excellent point, because they both do suck. Considering Austin has HEB, Central Market and Whole Foods, I could never complain about the grocery stores in Austin.

10. 1918Speedway

1918Speedway 250+ Posts

And here I am sitting here with a Krogers and wishing like hell I had an HEB!! We keep hearing rumors about one coming to the FW area, but no such luck yet.

11. WhoseHouse

WhoseHouse 250+ Posts

I really do prefer HEB also, but we aren't located very close to any of them. I'll go to HEB for big shopping trips but if I want to grab a couple items really fast I am just surrounded by Randall's and miss when I was surrounded by Kroger instead. If every Randall's became a Kroger that would be allsome.

12. doylehargraves

doylehargraves 500+ Posts

We need a Trader Joe's in Austin. Best market, ever.

13. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

I live right behind the Krogers on West Gray in Houston, and drive past it to the Randall's on Westheimer. Can't take the employee attitude there, cripes. Even considering the live jazz during rush hour.

HEB rocks. Trader Joes is great, too, but those are small and don't serve the same market as HEB.

To OP, get over Krogers, and get with the HEB program.

14. SomeMildLanguage

SomeMildLanguage 500+ Posts

Went to Lupe's yesterday, when I was in Houston. I love that place.

15. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

16. hookem2102

hookem2102 250+ Posts

I miss the hamburger meat from Kroger but that's about it.

17. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

18. killerfrog17

killerfrog17 250+ Posts

Hmm, I see it more like:
    HEB > Kroger=Randalls=Albertson's

19. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

if you don't have a Randall's card or a fist full of 2:1 and 3:1 coupons when you go there, you're screwed

20. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

While no man is an island, I am an island on this one. I have a choice between the HEB at Slaughter/Manchaca and the Randalls at Slaughter and Brodie. The HEB is a cluster-f**k 24/7 with entire families of 10 or more individuals all camping out in the aisles blocking all movement. HEB is cheaper, though. The Randall's is newly remodeled and never crowded. I get asked at least ten times by employees on how am I doing or can they help find anything. The prices are higher.

But at this staion in life, I will pay extra to not be in the middle of Grand ******* Central Station and to have friendly customer service.

If I need to hit HEB, I'll go around 6:30 or so in the morning.

21. taco

taco 250+ Posts

^^^^I'm in the same situation as you but I still prefer teh mega HEB over that Randalls. I go to the side checkout register to get out of there. Its still quicker to get in and out over randalls. Although, Randalls finally put in self serve checkouts which helps.
    I like the HEB in circle-c the best