Why are we 4-3???

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by mchammer, Oct 30, 2021.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

1. Bad throws to wide open receivers
    2. Dropped passes
    3. Inconsistent pass protection

I thought our skill players were the strength of this team (see #1 and #2 above).

JWhit and Jacoby Jones being hurt hasn’t helped matters either.

2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

4th quarter collapses might have something to do with it…

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yes, but the points in my post above is the prelude to the collapse. We miss points in the 2nd and 3rd quarter before the 4th qtr collapse.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  4. Gontex2

Gontex2 100+ Posts

You can add piss poor tackling to that list as well.

5. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Don’t worry. We’re 4-4 now.

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. Gontex2

Gontex2 100+ Posts

Bottom line is Horns are not a good ball club.

7. Gontex2

Gontex2 100+ Posts

Heading for 4-5.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Because every game has sadly had a second half.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

We are what our record says we are. It's a team with huge weaknesses that pretty well overwhelm everything we're trying to do on both sides of the ball. This was a very winnable game, and with a couple of caught balls in the first half, it probably ends differently.

10. ProdigalHorn

I will say... we're calling this another second half collapse, but I don't feel like that's what happened. I don't know that the team was EVER really playing well. There were so few drives relative to other games, we had a couple of good ones, and we got the pick, but we were mainly ahead because Baylor turned the ball over. When we didn't take advantage of it (dropped pass, fumble), and Baylor didn't turn it over, they were just fine. I never once felt like we were outplaying Baylor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

You could argue we lost today in the 2nd quarter when we blew 2 TDs with a bad pass and a bad drop, and then both times turned it over on the next play.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

So, you sound like you feel the same way about this team as I do, but I say it too much? Is that the difference? Lemme know how much I am able to say. Thanks.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

First of all, I thought Baylor was the best coached team I've seen play Texas in many years. Aranda went a long way toward owning real estate in Tallahassee or Baton Rouge.

I felt good about the game and our ability to win until a point in the second quarter when the defense came off the field and was holding their heads down. WHY? It's a close game, we can play with these guys, yet the element of doubt was already in their minds.

We expected a miracle and what we are getting is reality. Reality that Herman did not recruit well while pissing off HS coaches. Reality that Herman may have been MENSA, but our players aren't real bright and do NOT follow instructions or coaching. Reality that we have NO OL. Reality that we have NO LBs. Reality that we play DUMB!

Bring in a sports psychiatrist, but it will take 10+ of them to right this ship.

• Like Like x 3
  14. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Yep. I call it low IQ, but some are offended by that term so I’ll start using yours…… Not real bright and dumb.

• Hot Hot x 1
  15. horninchicago

Hey someone, Bob somebody, already proved you are a liar. Off to Confession....

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Calling players dumb seems like pathetic reasoning to me.
    Yes we dropped passes
    Yes we made bad throws
    Yes we missed blocks and tackles
    Yes we fumbled the ball
    Heat of the battle miscues happen.
    These are the real reasons we lost the game.
    Sometimes we attack character because we are emotional. We will have better outcomes next year because we will have better players. Not against Alabama and Oklahoma however.

17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Pompoms,

Please feel free to ignore any of my posts. You make wild *** assumptions without a clue what you're talking about. The things you mention do not make a player "dumb" or "uncoachable".

Breaking off your assignment and your position TWICE on the same play giving Oklahoma not one but TWO TDs, including the game winner is DUMB and selfish.

Losing concentration and dropping a pass does not make you "dumb", but failing to follow coaching and/or not being able to read the defense resulting in repeatedly running the wrong route, falls under "dumb" in my world.

These kids are taught in classroom sessions and practice what their assignment is. The coaches know why that is your assignment and expect you to do what your taught. Failure to do so can unfortunately have undesired results.

I attribute most of our "dumb" plays to a desire to make something good happen, but when you giftwrap OU TWO TOUCHDOWNS because you weren't where you were supposed to be is unacceptable.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

I'll say it again............until our quality and depth improve along the LOS on Both sides of the ball we will continue to be a .500 team.................thank you Tom Herman.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

99% of the time that you try to fight the Johnies and Joes arguement, you lose just like Texas is doing now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

There shouldn't be any argument about that whatsoever.

Sark called plays as he said he would: aggressive, with a killer instinct. On multiple occasions the play was there, and the players simply failed to execute.

• Agree Agree x 4
  21. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Dunno about that. We also ran up the middle on 3rd and 5+ several times and at once point got sacked on 1st down and then ran up the middle on 2nd and 3rd downs and basically just conceded that we would punt.

The 4th and 11 call was sure aggressive though.....

22. ProdigalHorn

That'd be one word for it...

I actually don't mind the call so much as I mind that they didn't tell Dicker "If the pass is covered, just rugby punt it.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

This is what I don't get. We have a terrible o-line yet in the most difficult of situations we try to lean on them to make a hole big enough to gain 5+ yards. It's not that we did it, it's that we do it over and over expecting different results.

24. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

It would be possible for a team with a great, mobile quarterback with great receivers and a marginal "O" line to have a good passing game. But a great running back on that same team will be less effective and wishing will not make it happen. I too wonder about this play calling on 3rd and long. I give Sark the benefit of the doubt because of his knowledge of offensive football and my lack thereof. However, I would like to know what the thought process is, other than that some running plays are to set up another play. Zero gain on a 3rd 'n out ain't a gunna set up nut'n cept a punt.

25. horninchicago

The answer to why Texas was 4-3 at 12:32 PM on Saturday was because the season didn't start until September 4. Otherwise, 4-4 would have been likely. Maybe 5-3. Who thinks so? Show of hands...

26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

History suggests this is who Sark is when he doesn't have Nick Saban, Mac Jones, Naje Harris, Devonta Smith, and the best OL in the nation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Why can’t Card hit a receiver within 5 yards if said receiver is more than 10 yards downfield?

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Seriously? One more time, the kid doesn't see the field, and if he ever looks off a defender or looks to more than one spot, it may be a sign of the Apocalypse.

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Doesn't the quarterback know where each receiver is going before the play even begins so all he has to do is read the defense and the QB should know which one is more likely to be open so when the play begins quarterback should be ready to throw the ball to the guy he thinks is going to be open and then throw it.
    Isn't that the way it works. Throw the receiver open as he's coming out of his break.
    What's the problem?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  30. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Card should never see the field again. He’s that bad. Casey is a very solid QB. He needs an O line.

• Agree Agree x 1