Why can't we land top OOS recruits?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Hagy, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Hagy

Hagy 250+ Posts

Other top programs constantly cherry pick our 5-star in-state talent yet we rarely, if ever, land a big fish from out of state.

Why?

2. PBJ Time

PBJ Time < 25 Posts

Because they want to do more than win 10 games?

3. Hagy

Hagy 250+ Posts

That's a darn small list of schools.

4. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

I think it's a conscious decision of Mack to focus on Texas recruits. Since he's so big on early recruiting, it makes sense that the most likely to commit would be in-state guys who are very familiar with the program. I think wooing out-of-state guys takes a lot of effort for a smaller chance of success.

5. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

Mack focuses on Texas players first and will go get an OOS recruit every once in awhile. It is not that hard to figure out that this state produces A LOT of Top recruits and it is not a surprise other states some in and steal some of them.

6. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard 100+ Posts

I always thought that Texas had the best HS talent in the country (perhaps we do) and we did not need to recruit outside of our great state. But I recently looked at what D1 schools had the most players drafted. From 1997-2007 Miami had 72, Florida State 72, Florida 62, and Texas had 40, Blow U 42, aTm 36, Tech 19, TCU 19, and Baylor 9. The list could go on, but what it seems to me is that their is some serious talent in the deep south that we should go after.

I don't know how many of those players listed in the Fl schools are from Fl (I guess most), but I know of Tx HS boys who went to schools outside TX and I'm not aware of that many that we recruited here.

?

7. Hagy

Hagy 250+ Posts

Cali and Florida have just as much or more talent yet SC, Florida, FSU and Miami land kids from all over the country, including Texas kids. We rarely get guys out of our region.

8. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

With the amount of TV coverage today, kids know that they don't have to go to a top program to get exposure. It is kind of like being a big fish in a small pond. If i kick *** at a school like Hawaii, e.g., Colt Brennen, why should I go to Texas.

9. Hagy

Hagy 250+ Posts

Colt went to CU and got expelled.

My question was referring to other top schools. Other top schools cherry pick Texas but we never return the favor.

10. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

11. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Mack only invites OOS recruits to campus that initiate interest in Texas

12. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

13. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

14. Hagy

Hagy 250+ Posts

EuroHorn, i think you're missing my point. I understand why some top kids go to some of the lesser schools. I agree with your TV reasoning.

My question is why other TOP SCHOOLS are able to land out of state/region stars while we do not. We never have. It's not just Mack either.

15. Hagy

Hagy 250+ Posts

It seems like it would be worth the effort to focus some energy on those few elite "difference makers" who are out of state.

16. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

17. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

Cali has more not Florida.

I think the biggest thing here is, LA and Miami sound a hell of a lot more enticing than Austin.

Seriously ppl, go outside the state, everyone thinks the only thing we sell here is tumbleweed and dirt. If you need any proof, check out the new Longhorn book, What It Means to be a Longhorn by Mack and Royal. Read Ricky’s first impression of Austin, “Wow there’s streams and hills and trees and forests.” What was he expecting, ********* littering our dusty paths?

18. guy noir

guy noir 100+ Posts

False assumption.

We do recruit out of state.

Williams, Simms, Scaife, Sendlein, Studdard come to mind without researching.

19. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

20. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

21. WhoooTex

WhoooTex 100+ Posts

22. Orange Salad Ranch

Orange Salad Ranch 250+ Posts

Not to pile on, but you do realize Texas currently leads for the #1 running back in the country who is being recruited out of California, right?

23. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

24. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

Post deleted by Texas Jack

25. SINCE73

SINCE73 250+ Posts

26. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

27. Hagy

Hagy 250+ Posts

28. LightTheTower