Why can't we land top OOS recruits?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Hagy, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

2. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

3. SINCE73

SINCE73 250+ Posts

4. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

5. SINCE73

SINCE73 250+ Posts

I don't deny that.
    I just find it weird that Mack thinks a HS kid should initiate contact if he's from OOS before Mack recruits them.
    Texas is a good program & Mack is the best in the business in recruiting so I'm glad we don't have to go head-2-head with him for the DeMarco Murray's & Duke Robinson's, Rufus Alexander's, Jermaine Gresham's of the world. That would suck.

6. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Yea, we try to keep sooner trash out of Texas

7. SINCE73

SINCE73 250+ Posts

I guess you don't follow recruiting much.
    Only 1 of them listed above is from Oklahoma & he was planning on going OOS & Texas would love to have him.

8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Mack has said he would rather primarily focus the staff's time, energy, and expenses on kids who are from Texas. There are many good reasons to do this.
    First, Texas has enough good HS players to fill a roster for many college teams.
    Second, he keeps the Texas HS coaches happy by not bypassing one of their players for another similarly talented OOS player just to please the bitchers and moaners among our fanbase.
    Third, contacting OOS kids takes more time than in state kids. (I'm referring , of course, to in house and in school visits, not the mail and phone calls.) The more time spent on one kid, the less time to spend on your other targets. Texas is large enough as it is and travel takes a shitload of time as it is. No need to exacerbate the situation unless you really believe the OOS kid is more talented than whoever is available in state and has a real desire to play in Austin.

9. TheContractor

TheContractor 250+ Posts

Sangre,
    I am definitely going to need more convincing. You have not made your point at all. Only 2 of the 6 guys you named were Mack Brown recruits.
    And don't give me a list that includes Studdard and Sendline, because both had UT ties.
    It is an undeniable fact that Mack does not go after many OOS guys. I feel that it is for a couple of reasons.
    1. He wants to continue to establish relations with TX HS coaches and get commits early.
    2. He has been burned a few times and I think he feel like he has "been left at the alter". 2 of the main guys are Perriloux and Brantly.

I am one who believes we need 2-4 OOS guys at need postitions when the state of TX is not strong at the position. Maybe we get a good player and maybe he doesnt come. but she is never gona marry you, if you dont ask.

10. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd 100+ Posts

I think a lot of it is geography. As some of you may know, Texas is a large state. OOS recruits are farther from Austin than most of them would be from places like Gainesville, Knoxville and Tallahassee for the simple reason that Austin is about 300 miles to the nearest state border.

Furthermore, you couldn't call any of the states adjacent to Texas football factories except for Louisiana, and LSU has always had that whole state on lock. We've never had much luck recruiting there with the exceptions of Applewhite, a couple NO kids and the apparently dry Evangel pipeline.

Kids from LA or Ark have more pressure on them to stay in-state than probably any others. There is only one real option for them, unlike a kid from Alabama. If you are from Alabama and you commit to Georgia, you don't have the whole state hating you. The Auburn and Bama fans are glad you didn't go to the rival school.

11. SINCE73

SINCE73 250+ Posts

Also Sangre, It leaves him more time to recruit for the next year when he fills up his class w/ players simliar in talent.
    I just don't buy the line that he doesn't recruit a stud player that is a no-brainer impact player just because the kid didn't pick up the phone first.
    I think most elite players would love to be recruited by Texas & especially if it got serious enough to have Mack visit.
    You can look at some of the OOS kids that OU has right now that would help Texas that went out of their own state.
    I don't buy that Texas wouldn't have been a major player for them had they tried.

12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

TheContractor,
    Gee, why do you need more convincing? I absolutely agree Mack doesn't go after OOS kids a lot. Not nearly as much as Mackovic did, for example.

Hagy simply blew the premise of his question by going all hyperbolic and saying we NEVER go after them, and later saying we never HAD gone after them, even before Mack. That's what I was getting at.

Couch the question in more reasonable terms, and you tend to get a more reasonable answer.

13. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

14. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

15. SINCE73

SINCE73 250+ Posts

Your reading comprehension is lacking.
    I said since Mack has arrived.
    Considering Mack has been @ Texas 10 years & Rivals has a top 250 w/ the min requirement of being a 4**** prospect & say Texas has 50 of them each year that leaves 2000 kids give or take that are 4**** OOS recruits since Mack has arrived that were available.
    Maybe I should be having this discussion w/ people who actually follow recruiting.

16. Roy4President

Roy4President 100+ Posts

Maybe they saw how terrible much of our fan base treated one of our last big OOS recruits, Chris Simms?

17. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

18. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

19. SINCE73

SINCE73 250+ Posts

What part of Rivals top 250 each year w/ a min of being a 4**** player does not compute w/ you?
    Are you saying that Rivals is ranking these top 250 kids by some other measure other than ***** rankings?
    10 years x 250 = 2,500 kids since Mack has arrived that are at least 4**** players.
    Take out a generous 50 that are Tx top 50 that are 4**** (which there isn't) & that leaves 2,000 OOS kids that are a min of 4**** recruits.

Also, Only offer 25 kids per class?
    Looks like quite a few team have broken that rule this year already in January.
    Sneaky dogs!
    Again, maybe this convo should just end.
    Have a nice night.

20. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

21. 6LUDV8

6LUDV8 < 25 Posts

22. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

According to rivals, the top 30 players in Texas are 5 star. We can't even sign that many so why bother focusing out of state?

23. C-Man

C-Man 250+ Posts

24. Real_Texas

Real_Texas 25+ Posts

Recruiting is expensive, do you honestly think we have the money to fly coaches all around the country?

That is about as relevant as half the **** being spewed on the thread. This is not any issue, we can get all the talent we need here in Texas. I ******* hate the offseason!

25. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa 500+ Posts

26. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

27. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

You've gotta show 'em some love first. Mack seems to spend very little time looking outside state borders. Most of the OOS players he's brought in are legacy types, or have some tie to UT.

28. Hagy

Hagy 250+ Posts

i want to make something really clear.

I was born in Austin and am a third generation Longhorn. Any of you are free to come look at my diploma from UT. On top of that "Hagy", is for John Hagy, my favorite Longhorn of all time.

I am utterly baffled by the logic of several posters here who somehow make the link between my post about our lack of out of state recruits and me being an aggy. I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt and assume you were drunk or smoking dope.

29. Michael Knight

Michael Knight 1,000+ Posts

I'd be more concerned with our inability to land a 5 star QB.

30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts