Why can't we land top OOS recruits?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Hagy, Jan 11, 2008.

1. J.R.69

J.R.69 250+ Posts

I would re-word the original poster's question to "Why can't we land top OOS recruits SINCE WE'RE LOSING SO MANY IN-STATE RECRUITS TO OU AND OTHERS?"

I would be satisfied with only in-state players provided that we got all the ones we wanted, which we are not. Contrary to what an earlier poster has stated, MB DOES NOT have Texas "locked down" for in-state recruits. As Hagy said, OU is getting the only three 5*s in Texas this year, among a ****-load of other Texans. This is damn-near criminal.

I didn't make an actual count, but in the Houston Chronicle's listing of Top 100 players in Texas, at least half have committed to OOS schools.

2. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

3. rocat

rocat 25+ Posts

I'll add just a couple of things....

One - as to the origiinal point - I'm just going to quote jimmyjazz from a post above, since I think he nailed it exactly:

4. Captain Murphy

Captain Murphy 250+ Posts

5. Hagy

Hagy 250+ Posts

Captain Murphy,
    Thank you for speaking for me, but you missed the mark. You're not even close.

Also, a suggestion... If you're so completely annoyed with this thread I would invite you to simply not read it or participate. There are lots of threads out there on the interweb. You can even make one of your own.

6. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

7. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

8. Captain Murphy

Captain Murphy 250+ Posts

9. C-Man

C-Man 250+ Posts

OK, I'll say it: if Mack purposely doesn't try to cherry-pick an OOS stud here and there, he's not working with the best strategy. His current way of doing things has netted us ONE conference title in 10 seasons and, yes, one glorious national title. USC has won five (or is it six?) straight conference titles and 1 1/2 national titles. Oklahoma has won five conference titles during Mack's reign, won one national title and played for two others. So yes, what those two programs are doing is better.

10. J.R.69

J.R.69 250+ Posts

TresLeches: In response to:

"I did. The list was updated thru Thursday and 44 of the Top 100 are going out of state.

What does that matter for Texas. We have 24 or so scholarships to give out. Is someone supposed to lose sleep because DeAundre Brown is going to New Mexico State? "

I counted, with these results:

45 - Committed to OOS schools
    6 - Uncommitted but only considering OOS schools
    5 - Uncommitted, considering OOS and in-state schools
    44 - Committed to in-state schools

Oh, and no, I won't lose sleep over anyone going to NM State, but I do resent the ONLY THREE 5*s in Texas going to OU, along with probably 8-10 of top 20 in state. That's only OU. Others are going to LSU, USC, OSU, UM, Fla., etc. It appears that instead of going after OOS players, the strategy is to lower the aim toward lesser-talented in-state players.

Not a winning strategy, IMO.

11. dgnr8

dgnr8 100+ Posts

It may be shortsighted, but I think if only looking at this years class I see what you are talking about.

If you want to do the Mack B thing, and only recruit Texas, then you damn sure better get all the top rated Texas kids.

If you don't, and they go to OU/Other schools then you better have the ability to grab a highly ranked kid out of Cali, Florida, Georgia, Louisana, etc.

Of OU's class, I know they are taking the only 3 Five Star kids in Texas.
    But what is incredible (in my opinion) is they also have commitments from:
    #1 rated player (QB) out of New Mexico.
    VERY highly ranked WR out of Georgia.
    And the #1/#2/#3 ranked Players out of Texas.

How?

12. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

13. bevo_daddy

bevo_daddy 500+ Posts

All i know is one thing i love about our team is that most everyone you see on the starting lineup is from Texas.

We're texas.

14. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

Completely ignoring other states 5* recruits is short sighted. If there is a 5* out there who can fill a need, we should go get him. I hope that is what happens, at least...

15. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

This year from OOS Mack has landed Nolan Brewster (obvious UT connection), lost out on Lynn Katoa and Bryce Givens and is still in the running for Darrell Scott and Rahim Moore. So it's not like he isn't going after these guys like some of you contend.

16. Duff_Man

Duff_Man Guest

17. ballrific

ballrific 500+ Posts

then what's the reason when we start losing out on the top players in state, especially to blow u? can't say b/c he's putting too much effort into OOS recruiting. [​IMG]

18. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

19. D-mack01grad

D-mack01grad 100+ Posts

I STILL don't understand why everyone is SO obsessed with stars. The recruiting industry is not a perfect science. Companies like Rivals and Scouts use it to sell membership.Case in point...Aaron Williams. Rivals has him listed as the top player in the state and one of the top DBs in the country. Scouts does not even have him listed in their top 150! Why? Who knows, who cares. I trust the coaches. If they feel that staying in state gives them the best chance at getting the type of guys that can help us win a title, more power to them. I just get tired of people quoting Rivals and Scouts like they are THE source for football recruiting.
    I'll say this one more time. Below are a few recent 'horns making an NFL
    paycheck that were 3 star
    recruits

*B-Rob
    *Huff Daddy

and 3 star Lokey WILL be making an NFL paycheck here shortly.

This isn't Playstation. 5 stars don't always equal elite performance. What a player is rated is just someone's opinion
    and I'll take Mack Brown's opinion over a bunch of sports journalists any day of the week and twice on Tuesday.

Tha D

20. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

21. DJDJAJGJ

DJDJAJGJ 250+ Posts

This is a non-issue IMO. I'd like to think we could win championships with our player roster being 100% native Texans. I don't see why not.

22. Sooner-Tuf

Sooner-Tuf 1,000+ Posts

Sure you can, heck you don't even have to be in Texas to win Championships with Texas players. [​IMG]

Texas is a big state with better than solid High School Football. If I were Coach Brown or Coach anyone else I would recruit Texas first and then a little elsewhere. Which is what I think he does.