Why didn't Ehlinger get more PT?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by SAMMCHornfan, Nov 13, 2017.

1. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

I had no problem with Buechele getting the start, but why not give Ehlinger more opportunities with the offense struggling the way it was. Seemed like they had a couple of perfect chances to go to him after his one series early. I don't think it would matter all that much with the chemistry of this team since they are so close to the end of the season. May as well start the QB competition early for next year. I am sure they will need him to hopefully pull out one of these last two games to make a bowl game.

2. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

When one of the freshman RB's has two consecutive carries for positive yards and then gets pulled for Kyle Porter, I see no reason to try to figure out this staff's decisions. :cursing2:

• Like Like x 6
  3. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

It's almost as though this entire season has been used as a winter camp.
    No rhyme or reason to who's starting or getting playing time.
    Although, I think it was good to keep Sam out if Boo could get us the win over Kansas.
    He had two good shots to the head and more time to heal before taking another is a good thing.
    The running game is baffling.
    We drive down the field and score without one pass play and then abandon the run.
    I'm with Ricky on this.
    "Keep doing what's working until they stop you."

• Like Like x 8
  4. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Agree with you on all that. And, for the "keep doing it until..." I also nominate Lil Jordan Humphrey at wildcat.

5. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Agreed

6. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Only thing I can figure is they were keeping Sam healthy for last two games, you know, maybe he tested ok but still not 100%. I did think Boo took some hits that were scary, thought he should have come out for awhile.
    As for explaining the 'other' decisions this year, no way.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I missed the Kansas game entirely and was very remote with no TV. Sounds like I did not miss much! I would think they will play Sam a lot more the last two games and are saving him for those because they count and are against tougher competition. Plus he gets another week to heal up. I was baffled while checking the score from the Deer Blind when we got up so big early and then just waffled late, especially in the second half. What the heck happened to the offense in the second half? Against Kansas no less.

8. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

As understand it, thought process was bring him in for one series just to get real time action but no more. No reason to get him hit in that game if really think need him for later action. I actually didnt have problem with that decision, now several others in that game were head scratchers.

• Like Like x 2
  9. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

The sequence I was referring to went like this (I rewatched last night on LHN):
    Carter behind McMillon for 9 yards
    Carter same play for 4 yards and a first down
    Carter to the sideline/Porter in the game
    Porter tries to sweep left for a loss of two.
    Porter straight ahead for two.
    3rd and 10.
    I would love to hear the explanation for this sequence, but I know we ain't gonna get it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Makes you wonder what they were doing during the actual offseason. Probably playing 7 on 7 intramural ball judging by the way we block.

11. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I am supposing and hoping that the unusual coaching decisions is driven by the pourus/injured offensive line and maybe the coaches feel the need to protect some of our players who have been hurt. Depth depth depth is so necessarily these days. Boy don't we need some big time OL.

12. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Be grateful for the little things....

Just think how bad off this team would be if their pee wasn't so clear.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

So that brings us to West Virginny this week. Who you gonna start if you're Herman?

Me? I'm going with Sam the rest of the season. If the doctor says Sam has no more chance of another concussion than for any other player, I'm going with him.

I listen to people say he should sit out the rest of the season and come back next year. But I say, how'd that work for David Ash? He sat out most of 2013, came back for 2014, and suffered another concussion in the first or second game. Resting the whole off season made absolutely no difference.

14. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Agreed. Sorta. I like Shane a lot. I think he is a good QB and on a team with even a serviceable line he could be special.
    But Sam is the more dynamic QB. This offense is so bad needs a dynamic QB to have a chance.

On the other hand, I hope the doctors are playing it very safe with Sam.
    Ash's case notwithstanding, CTE research says the longer you let the brain heal the better. If Sam is 100%, great. Otherwise this season is not worth it.

• Like Like x 3
  15. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

This^^^

16. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I think Sam gives us the better shot, but I'd use both so neither gets worn down (something they both seem to do every game).