Why do Barnes teams need to

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Burnt Orangeman, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

I kept hearing the local radio pundits saying this late in the year when Texas was busy looking for a place to break down. If Texas would have beaten Kansas in the big 12 tourney they would have had their relative cakewalk into the final 4. But they lost their legs?

To me this comes under the heading of excuses being like ********, everybody's got one.

2. 2222Horn

2222Horn 100+ Posts

No one is saying that winning the NC isn't the goal, it's just that a lot of us are a lot more realistic about how hard it is (than you are).

Look at Ben Howland at UCLA

3 Final Fours (no NC) and then two 2nd round bounces sandwiched around a 14-18 season.

Jamie Dixon has been to 1 Elite 8 since taking over at PItt.

Lots of good coaches and good teams all gunning for the prize. For a lot of the other UT sports, we have a HUGE recruiting advantage (baseball, swimming, football), we don't have that in basketball. If you're choosing not to understand that, that's your problem not UT's.

3. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

Tom Penders was on 104.9 a week or so ago and commented on conditioning over an entire college basketball season. He remarked that most kids, especially freshman, don't have the endurance for an entire college season and can hit a wall somewhere along the way. To guard against this, Penders said that he reduced the physical part of practices for his teams midway through the season and filled that time with shooting, film study, etc., in an attempt to conserve more energy for postseason play.

I'm not making any excuses for Texas' recent NCAA performances, nor am I saying that Penders' approach necessarily worked. But, I've heard others besides Penders speak about the challenges of conditioning on the college level, where players might not yet be used to a longer season and can't devote the amount of time for conditioning that professional players have.

4. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

No question Joseph's game declined dramatically after January. Thompson held up pretty well. Gary Johnson tanked the last few weeks, but had a decent game against Arizona. Hamilton hung on pretty well, but his FG% went south, a good sign of fatigue. Perhaps RB should have had another session with Eddie Reese about January 15.

Ironically, Brown, who many exclaimed should have played more minutes earlier in the season when Texas was destroying most of its opponents, finished the season as the Longhorns' strongest player.

5. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

The Horns star players had to play too many minutes. IMO Texas needs better overall depth.