Why do I need a parking brake to pass inspection?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by RollingwoodHorn, Jun 20, 2006.

1. RollingwoodHorn

RollingwoodHorn 500+ Posts

I failed my auto inspection because my parking brake needed to be replaced. Even beyond the fact that I'm pissed off about having to replace something I never used in the entire history of the car, why the hell do I need a parking brake to pass inspection. If I've never used it, it can't be that critical.

2. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

Just because you've never used it doesn't mean you shouldn't.

3. Hook_This

Hook_This < 25 Posts

There are too many places that will pass your car without really looking at it to worry about it.

4. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

Hook_This - No kidding. I remember a few years ago one place in south Texas that made me show him my blinkers, brake lights, and then honk my horn. It took him longer to fill out the sticker and put it on than the inspection.

5. RollingwoodHorn

6. RollingwoodHorn

7. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

8. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

I believe Houston and Dallas areas are the only places where emission testing is required. I'm sure many of the other areas of the state still have the no-look inspection.

9. ElJefe

ElJefe 100+ Posts

what kind of car do you have?-I have an 02-Tahoe. I had this happen last year and it cost me about $200 and I think I have used the parking brake once or twice since I bought it.

10. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Aside from the fact that it is the law, and you might have a failure of the brakes-a broken brake hose or failed master cylinder or something, and need the emergency brake to slow down, and the fact that you can make really cool handbrake turns on dirt roads while racing, you should use it if you have an automatic transmission, because it stresses the transmission less-put it on before the car rolls forward that extra inch or so after you put the car in park, and the transmission will last longer.
    The corollary to this question is why require turn signals, since most people do not use them ever?

11. homer

homer 500+ Posts

Ummmm, park on an incline without your emergency/parking brake? It will create higher wear/tear on your transmission due to increased friction. (Obviously, I am assuming you drive an automatic, because you can't drive (take off) or park in inclined areas withouth a emergency/parking brake on manuals)

Anyway, its all about emergency use. You never know when you'd need to use it.

12. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

13. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

14. rhg84

rhg84 250+ Posts

You obviously havent seen that new fast and the furious movie, you might get an urge to drift around some corners so you will need ur E-brake

15. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

16. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

after i got 'caught' for this down in Buda i did a lil research and this problem is quite well known with late nineties/real early 2000's Chevies. I have a 99 silverado. the brake works fine preventing reverse movement but does nothing to prevent forward movement. i am just gonna take it back home and go to the usual place outside of dallas w/ the drive thru style inspection.

by teh way, emissions are in the dallas/ftworth counties and any adjacent county to them. Harris and another one right by it are as well. The only ones in central tx are williamson and travis i believe.

17. Austin definately has emissions testing as of this year.

18. RollingwoodHorn

19. RollingwoodHorn

I realize there are good reasons to have a working parking brake. There are good reasons to have a cup holder and working cigarette lighter. I simply didn't understand why my parking brake was so important that it was a safety hazzard and thus required to pass inspection.

I didn't think about using it as an emergency brake if my brakes went out so I guess that makes sense.

20. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

21. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

22. horn4life

horn4life 500+ Posts

The reason they test the "parking brake" is that if it can't hold you car still while it's in gear then it sure as hell isn't going to stop your vehicle in an emergency.

The dick who failed my car yesterday was hilarious. He was tugging up and down on my wife's passenger turn indicator light housing. I made the mistake of reaching over to tighen the finger nut and better secure the housing. His response was "please step away from the vehicle sir..." Reminded me of some podunk cop trying to flex his muscles.

Anyhow went home tightend the same nut I was trying to tighten on site and the other inspector passed it no problem at all.

23. TEXASMADE

TEXASMADE 250+ Posts

24. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

25. Longhorn Al

Longhorn Al 500+ Posts

It's good to have a cousin that has been working for 20 years at an inspection place. [​IMG] A couple months ago I asked him if it would be any harder to let things slide now with the emissions testing. He just smiled and said no.

I also had my 1970 Chevy pickup inspected out of town once. I just happened to be in Lampasas for July 4th and it came due. We went to Lometa and pulled into this dumpy old garage/warehouse. My friend knew about this place and said it'd be an easy pass. He walked up and down the truck and that was it. Didn't hit the brakes, check the horn or anything. He was of the thinking, "if you drove it here safely, it's fine."

26. iamhorn

iamhorn 100+ Posts

If you hear "Your car failed but I will pass it for $50 and a # 3 combo at BK", you know you're in Houston.

27. Rusk

Rusk 250+ Posts

This thread reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg joke:

28. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts