why do people drink?

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by FirstTimeLurker, Dec 5, 2007.

1. orange_pride

orange_pride 100+ Posts

why ask why?

try bud dry.

2. HoustonHorn

HoustonHorn 250+ Posts

Lonestarman:

The original poster did ask a legitimate question. In the original post. Everything from the op since then seems less legitimate.

3. BigOrange

BigOrange 100+ Posts

he came to esther's and asked why people drink. people gave him many reasons. he didn't like them. thats not the fault of the people who answered the question and it doesn't make the answers "not legitimate."

4. kangsta

kangsta 500+ Posts

I think you should become a lurker again. For the second time

5. HoustonHorn

HoustonHorn 250+ Posts

big orange, by "op" I meant original poster. Everything from the original poster other than the original post did not seem legitimate. I am on your side here.

I think if you look at the realism of the people who drink and tried to answer the question vs. the ******, baiting question of the original poster, that's enough reason to know that drinking is a good thing.

6. Me So Horny

Me So Horny 100+ Posts

the easy answer is....why the f**k not?

7. Lonestarman

Lonestarman 100+ Posts

8. chillywillywall

chillywillywall 100+ Posts

i am usally shy around people i just met. i just dont feel comfortable around people i dont know. but when im drunk i can have some of the best times with people i will never see again

9. BigOrange

BigOrange 100+ Posts

10. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

I was sure it was Ocean Pacific. That stuff never goes out of style.

11. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

Because it's one of the few things that Big Brother hasn't banned....yet and it also keeps me from kicking the **** out of annoying people like vegans, non drinkers and MADD members. [​IMG]

12. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

13. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Because there's more old drunks than there are old doctors...

14. irishtexan

irishtexan 100+ Posts

people drink to put up with judgmental wet blankets like you, FTL.

15. accuratehorn

Because most people find it more acceptable than smoking pot as they get older, with apologies to Willie Nelson.

16. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

17. WhoseHouse

WhoseHouse 250+ Posts

Nothing worse than a judgemental sober person. We drink to spite people like you. If you don't like it, get over it. Why do people drink Dr. Pepper? They like the taste, the sugar and the caffeine. It's worse for you than a beer. But I don't give a **** how many Dr. Pepper's you drink nor am I going to ask you to justify it. Nobody needs to be all high and mighty because they don't share in the opinion of others. Oh wait, this is hornfans [​IMG]

18. Ankf00

Ankf00 250+ Posts

19. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

20. WillWork4Horns

WillWork4Horns 100+ Posts

Once upon a time I thought I had a drinking problem. Then I got paid and I realized,hell no problem at all!

21. Horn21

Horn21 25+ Posts

22. Mister Falcon

Mister Falcon 250+ Posts

Here's a story that I wouldn't be able to tell without alcohol:

It's this past summer, and I'm in Florida for a cousin's wedding. He's loaded, as is the girl he's marrying, and the whole weekend is really extravagent. We're eating at some restaurant the night before the wedding, and I notice a girl across the room. She's pretty, and I'm single. However, this is a crowded place (crowded with my relatives), and I'm pretty reserved anyways, so no moves are made.

The next day, I see her again at the wedding: she's a bride's maid. I'd still like to talk to her.

After the wedding, we file off to a reception. It's at an art gallery on the water - absolutely incredble - it looked like the reception in Wedding Crashers. Of course there's an open bar, dance floor, great band, etc. I don't know a whole lot of people (besides my family members), so I throw back a few.

Suddenly, I'm James Bond. And dammit, I've got a mission.

I see the girl again, lock eyes, and jump into I conversation she's a part of. We start talking about something I have since forgot. I am quite charming in my intoxicated state, and we tear off to the dance floor. I'm now drunkenly dancing with this girl in front of multiple southern Baptist generations of my family. I'm pulling out moves from high-school, and she's digging it. Some people are staring.

After the reception ends, we flood out into the city. I've met a lot of my cousin's friends and we are having a great time. The girl is really funny, and conversatioin is great. Pretty quickly, I pull her aside and we make-out in a gazebo by the water. I was still pretty hammered, but I kid you not, it was actually romantic. It was just a beautiful spot, such a primitive, passionate moment, two souls connecting in the cool breeze, stars out and yachts cruising by. Or maybe it was just the booze.

After a few hours, we head back to my hotel. I'm in a room with my brother - there are two twin beds. He's not back yet. 30 minutes pass (no detail here because NO SEX AT ALL) and my brother comes back, holding a bottle of champagne from the wedding, absolutely obliterated. He's slurring his words, telling dirty jokes, just generally making an *** of himself and ruining a good thing for me. Eventually he passes out.

I resume bidness (my brother was not waking up). 20 minutes later, we're locked in the grips of passion when my brother starts coughing. We're laughing at him. Then, he leans over the bed. To quote myself, "Oh ****."

He unleashes the fiercest stream of vomit I've ever seen in my life. It's a freakin deluge. This is the Vince Young of power-pukes, it keeps going long after you think it's stopped. He saturates the space in between the beds, COVERING THE GIRL'S DRESS which had been tossed on the floor. The moment is totally surreal - 5 am in Jacksonville, me sitting on a bed with the object of my desire, who has now been deprived clothes by my idiot brother. I am laughing so hard I am crying.

I jump in the shower with the dress and do a decent job cleaning it off. The girl was actually pretty cool with it - since it was the wedding dress she wasn't planning on wearing it again. I'm just pissed I had to give her my favorite pair of athletic shorts. After a fitful night of sleep in a room that smelled like vomit and lysol, we part ways, friends. I'm pretty sure she gave me strep throat, which I suppose is karma for my brother ruining her dress.

So there you go, without booze I don't have a beautiful connection with some girl (whose name I can't recall, although we are facebook friends now) and I don't have a funny story to tell my friends. I say unapologetically and without irony that some of the best moments of my life were enabled by booze. I've got dozens of comparable stories, and 90% of the time, alcohol is involved.

23. accuratehorn

Any more questions?

24. UTRanger 2/75

UTRanger 2/75 100+ Posts

It's this past summer, and I'm in Florida for a cousin's wedding. He's loaded, as is the girl he's marrying, and the whole weekend is pretty extravagent. We're eating at some restaurant the night before the wedding, and I notice a girl across the room. She's pretty, and I'm single. However, this is a crowded place (crowded with my relatives), and I'm pretty reserved anyways, so no moves are made.

The next day, I see her again at the wedding: she's a bride's maid. I'd still like to talk to her.

After the wedding, we file off to a reception. It's at an art gallery on the water - absolutely incredble - it looked like the reception in Wedding Crashers. Of course there's an open bar, dance floor, great band, etc. I don't know a whole lot of people (besides my family members), so I throw back a few.

Suddenly, I'm James Bond. And dammit, I've got a mission.

I see the girl again, lock eyes, and jump into I conversation she's a part of. We start talking about something I have since forgot. I am quite charming in my intoxicated state, and we tear off to the dance floor. I'm now drunkenly dancing with this girl in front of multiple southern Baptist generations of my family. I'm pulling out moves from high-school, and she's digging it. Some people are staring.

After the reception ends, we flood out into the city. I've met a lot of my cousin's friends and we are having a great time. Pretty quickly, I pull the girl aside and we make-out in a gazebo by the water. I was still pretty hammered, but I kid you not, it was actually romantic. It was just a beautiful spot, such a primitive, passionate moment, with the cool breeze, stars out and yachts cruising by. Or maybe it was just the booze.

After a few hours, we head back to my hotel. I'm in a room with my brother - there are two twin beds. He's not back yet. 30 minutes pass (no detail here because NO SEX AT ALL) and my brother comes back, holding a bottle of champagne from the wedding, absolutely obliterated. He's slurring his words, telling dirty jokes, just generally making an *** of himself and ruining a good thing for me. Eventually he passes out.

I resume bidness. 20 minutes later, we're locked in the grips of passion when my brother starts coughing. We're laughing at him. Then, he leans over the bed. To quote myself, "Oh ****."

He unleashes the fiercest stream of vomit I've ever seen in my life. It's a freakin deluge, and it keeps going for like 20 seconds. This is the Vince Young of power-pukes, it cannot be stopped. He saturates the space in between the beds, COVERING THE GIRL'S DRESS which had been tossed on the floor. The moment is totally surreal. I am laughing so hard I am crying.

She was actually cool with it. I'm just pissed I had to give her my favorite pair of athletic shorts. We part ways, friends.

So there you go, without booze I don't have a beautiful connection with some girl (whose name I can't recall, although we are facebook friends now) and I don't have a funny story to tell my friends. I say unapologetically and without irony that some of the best moments of my life were enabled by booze.

This story is why I drink, I do it for hope that I too one day can find love!! I will continue to drink until this happens for me that is my promise to all of you!

25. Viper Daimao

Viper Daimao 100+ Posts

I kept waiting for the part where it turned out she was your 2nd cousin. disappointing falcon.

[​IMG]

as for the original post:
    "You drink that drink! Alcohol has been a social lubricant for thousands of years. What do you think, you're going to sit here tonight and reinvent the wheel?"

26. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

27. sanchezvilleda

sanchezvilleda < 25 Posts

I think the quotes are the best thing about this thread. My favorite is the Sinatra one, but this one is also true:

“I only drink to make other people seem interesting”
    - George Jean Nathan

As far as making a logical argument for why here goes:

1) The world we live in is sometimes a tough place to deal with.
    2) Alcohol is a drug (a depressant) whose effects include depressing not only these senses but also painful emotions. So some people drink to forget.

However:

1) In beginning stages of a drinking session one can also find patterns of lowered inhibitions, a relaxed feeling, and a good mood. (the Happy Drunk Stage) This is the stage that most folks on this thread defend. It is very real and has always been a very prevalent form of entertainment throughout history.

Why this prevalence? Because those drinking sessions are just that - entertainment:

Webster's defines entertainment as: 3 a: amusement or diversion provided especially by performers b: something diverting or engaging: as (1): a public performance (2): a usually light comic or adventure novel

"Entertain" is also defined as "showing hospitality":

So why do we drink?

1) to amuse ourselves
    2) to divert ourselves from the woes of the world or the daily grind
    3) as public performance - we become the performers ourselves and act as hosts in social situations
    4) to have light and comic adventures with the shared social experience of boozing

That is my explanation, and I would also like to say in closing:
    if you ain't boozin - you're losin'...

28. NativeTXchic

NativeTXchic 1,000+ Posts

"He was a wise man who invented beer." --
    Plato

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    --Benjamin Franklin

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    --Dave Barry

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
    --Humphrey Bogart

29. LongIslandIceSIP

LongIslandIceSIP 500+ Posts

Alcohol by Bare Naked Ladies:

Alcohol, my permanent accessory
    Alcohol, a party-time necessity
    Alcohol, alternative to feeling like yourself
    O Alcohol, I still drink to your health

I love you more than I did the week before
    I discovered alcohol