Why do we not field.............

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by LousianaHorn, Jul 28, 2021.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Wrestling, mens soccer and gymnastics (both) teams............it seems to be pretty big across the high school landscape in Texas?

2. everette

everette 250+ Posts

My opinion - They don't want women wrestling - Title IX, # of men vs women - $$$$

3. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

I really didnt mean women wrestling.........

4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Since none of those sports is revenue generating and since Title IX requirements are met no reason to.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. BLucky

BLucky 250+ Posts

I read somewhere that Texas made a commitment that all sports, men and women alike, would be treated the same in terms of training, travel, etc. There is a limit to how much money all the sports generate so there is a limited number of varsity sports.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. everette

everette 250+ Posts

What I meant was they don't want women to wrestle (prudes), so they won't have a men's team either.

7. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Sports that are offered for both sexes don't need to be offsetting in numbers within that sport alone. It just has to be a total # of equal participants for the institution.

The real reason is that we can't compete with the elites in those activities. I don't doubt we could pay the bills, but I think those would be seen as big net losses in both revenues and wins.

8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Lacrosse - that is all