Why doesn't missing the front end of a one-and-one

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by scharnell, Feb 20, 2010.

1. scharnell

scharnell 1,000+ Posts

count as missing two free throws? Sure you didnt miss it, but that was only b/c you did not give yourself the opportunity to take it.

In the 8th grade and freshman year of high school, we had to run suicides for every free throw you missed, and if you missed the front of of the bonus, you ran two. I think that it's a stat that should be kept and factored into FT shooting percentage.

2. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

I have no specific reason or anything to compare it to in another sport, but that's ridiculous. I'm sure you weren't trying to do this but it looks like your rationale is based on a punishment you received in 8th grade.

3. adUTleander

adUTleander 250+ Posts

because its only one free throw.....I see your logic, but its terrible logic.

4. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

5. gdu

gdu 1,000+ Posts

Wow.

6. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

If a free throw wasn't shot and nobody saw it would it still be a miss? Makes sense to me.

7. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

If you go for it on 4th and 1 at the 21 and fail, should that count as a red zone possession since you would have been in the red zone if you'd made the first down?

8. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

If you pushed off before shooting, getting a foul call against you, should that count as a missed shot for your FG%? You can come up with a lot of situations like this. But what you're contemplating is not free throw percentage. It's percentage of potential free throw points.

9. drborange

drborange 500+ Posts

As you stated, coaches keep up with them as if it is two misses and that is all that really counts. [​IMG]

10. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

You can't miss a shot you never take.

11. oSuJeff97

oSuJeff97 25+ Posts

Although I don't think that you should count it as two missed freethrows, I think it would be a very interesting stat to track.

12. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

I see Scharnell's point, but if anything, it should be a separate stat. Even if you shoot [choke]50%[choke], that can easily mean 4 or 5 points a game compared to the team that shoots 75%.