Why I despise the NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by general35, Apr 20, 2009.

1. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Is there a good reason why teams have 2 days off between games when no travel is involved? This is why it takes two months to play the NBA playoffs.

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I understand for TV wanting to have 2 day breaks, but why not put those during the times when the teams switch cities instead of between games 1/2 or 3/4?

3. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Watching Pro Basketball is like watching paint dry. I tried to watch that Cleveland game this past weekend but the music chanting DEEFEENSSEEe was just annoying as all hell and it just sucked. I am so glad that I don't waste my time following any teams. I was tuning in to see Gibson and was that a yawner, didn't last 5 minutes.

4. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

On weekdays they can play at most 3 games without them overlapping channels and competing with themselves.
    But 2 days? Please, they used to have certain teams play on sunday, then not again until friday, just so they could show that team on 2 prime days.

5. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

Also, in the NFL teams go a week between playoff games, and 2 weeks before the superbowl.

6. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

This lag is only during the first round. They want THREE weekends for the first round.

Then at the end the NBA Finals are scheduled for dates that span 2 specific weekends which means there can be a big layoff after the Conference Finals.

Except for the latter, I don't see a big problem. If you enjoy the games it means there are games every night and that's great.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

7. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

Drag it out. This is the last stop before the horse latitudes leading to football camps.

Baseball just doesn't get it (plus I am still boycotting after '94).

8. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

2 days lets the old guys recover to run with teh young uns.

9. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

This isn't that bad. What was bad was when they stretched out best-of-fives over three weekends.

10. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

I agree with Colin Cowherd.....I love the NBA playoffs.

The fans are so intense and the players are playing so hard and so intense because each game means so much.

11. BrothaHorn

BrothaHorn 1,000+ Posts

12. Bevo's Buddy

Bevo's Buddy 500+ Posts

I truly enjoy the never-ending timeouts that each team is granted. The last 2 minutes of a game (esp. a close game) can last a good 30 minutes, b/c after each made basket, you can rest assured a TO will be called.

It was funny watching the end of the Bulls/Celtics game last night. With 2 seconds left, after Jesus Shuttlesworth hit a 3-pointer to put the Celtics up by 3, the Bulls grabbed the ball and started to call timeout. But alas! They didn't have any left and couldn't advance it past half court! Instead they had to do what the college guys do...inbound the ball from the baseline, push it down court and jack up a desperation 3. I wish more NBA games would end in this fashion by reducing the timeouts, and by doing away with a team getting to advance the ball to half court after a TO.

13. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

Or change the college rules. [​IMG]

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

14. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

I don't have a problem with the constant timeouts, but I agree that you shouldn't get the ball at halfcourt after a timeout unless you have called the timeout after crossing midcourt.

15. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I don't mind the days off for the early rounds b/c there are so many games to watch each day. However once you get to the 3rd and 4th rounds it does get really slow waiting 3 days for a game.

16. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

The bottom line is that rules that allow the ball to move after a timeout, or cause the clock to stop in the last minute, or force a team that is ahead to shoot free throws in order to keep a lead, are designed to enable the team that is behind to have a chance to win a close game.

They keep tension in a situation that otherwise might not be tense and thereby keep fans interested in the game. I don't like it, but I understand it.

17. 210-816-Horn

210-816-Horn 250+ Posts

I rather have two days in between each game....it stretches the playoff long enough for hockey to be over and part of the baseball season is completed. Then by the time the finals are completed (June), football is right around the corner.
    [​IMG]

18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

19. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I despise the playoffs because the only team I care about is the Spurs - and I find it physically painful to watch them play sometimes (not because of the style of play, more of the blown leads, the wild swings in play quality, etc...)

My NBA playoff strategy is just to wait until the fourth quarter to tune in.

20. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Also sucks that some of the best games are out West and they don't start them until 830 or 930 so the 4th quarter is usually around 1030 or 1100.

21. Bevo's Buddy

Bevo's Buddy 500+ Posts

I despise the fact that tonight's Spurs/Mavs game is only available on NBATV.

Why does the league schedule THREE playoff games on the same night? And why are all three not available on TNT, ESPN or ABC?

22. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Well it could be worse. Could be like March madness where there are a ton of great games on at the same time and you only get to watch one at a time. And they constantly split your screen into quarters and make you think you are getting a bonus by watching all 4 at once.