Why is The Wizard of Oz running through my head?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Sangre Naranjada, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Ding, dong! The witch is dead, the wicked witch is dead!

• Like Like x 7
  2. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

We came. We voted. She died.

Ha! Ha! Ha!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sangre Naranjada

Well, I voted Libertarian like I have since 1992. But damn, it feels good to see America give H the big middle finger.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

How common is it for the loser to have a surrogate (Podesta) make the concession speech? Hillary well?

5. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I hope it's not a case of finding that the guy who made all that noise and seemed to be so powerful turned out to be nothing.

6. Sangre Naranjada

Actually, to further your analogy, I think to an extent the "man behind the curtain" syndrome would be a net positive. Many bemoan Presidential overreach and BHO's particular predilection to governing by fiat, so perhaps having a POTUS who wields less power than we thought may just be a good thing.

7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Trump's suggests he be able to put together a good team
    He ,like all others,will not do it alone

I hope people who hate him,media give him a sliver of a chance
    But watching ABC this morning does not back that hope up . They started off making sure their disdain was front and center

8. Sangre Naranjada

With that said, I suspect Trump will only extend the phenomenon of Presidential overreach.

9. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

I
    I've gone back and forth about that. When the President acts via the executive branch by fiat, is he able to do so because he personally is able to disregard the eroded checks and balances designed to stabilize the government? Or is he able to act unilaterally because a "shadow government" referred to as deep state steers the President without consequences from these checks and balances. If the latter, Trump will have difficulty making big changes regardless of intentions.

10. Sangre Naranjada

I don't know about shadow governments and the deep state, but I do know the gigantic, bloated, and generally useless federal bureaucracy moves largely of its own volition. If Trump can reign it in and perhaps whittle it down I will consider his presidency a huge success.

• Like Like x 4
  11. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I actually thought the same thing. Did the stress then subsequent reality of losing cause a seizure or worse?

12. Sangre Naranjada

No, I think she just knew she could not possibly be gracious in defeat. After all, she has spent her entire adult life angling to become POTUS, and she has sacrificed everything - including any guiding principles, core beliefs, and any hint of a soul she may have once had to get the job. And she got *****-slapped by the good people of America - first in favor of an incompetent clown like BO, and now for a bombastic braggadocios outsider like Trump.

Edit: I found the opening part of her concession speech today to be thoroughly gracious. Not sure she could have pulled that off last night.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  13. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I did not hear his speech last night as being bombastic and braggadocios.

14. Sangre Naranjada

His speech last night was not, but his entire campaign certainly was. And so is his public persona.