Why Major?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by DCLonghorn8, Jan 16, 2008.

1. DCLonghorn8

DCLonghorn8 250+ Posts

I am THRILLED that Major is back home. It is outstanding in every way. Thank you Major! Thank you Mack!

But why did he leave OC at Bama? That sure seems like a step back on the resume ladder.

Is Bama having real troubles?
    Was Saban more like satan?
    Was Saban looking to make a change?
    Is this seen as a lateral move in the coaching world?
    Has he been promised something down the road?

This is a damn great day and I don't want to question it. But I guess I am questioning it.

THANK YOU MAJOR! Come home and kick ***!

2. DCLonghorn8

DCLonghorn8 250+ Posts

P.S. I left out all the burnt orange-tinted reasons like, "Cause we're Texas" and "We are the best program on the planet" in an attempt to be objective (even though it's true!), but it reads like I only mentioned negatives as reasons. That was not my intention. Just curious.

3. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

This is where he belongs. And Austin is the ****. And Mack Brown is the ****. And one day he'll be the head coach here, or OC at the least. And better chance to win here. And UT>>>bama. And he's a ******* God here....women will throw their braws at him and men will sing his praises. And W'e're Texas, and so is he.

4. planohorn91

planohorn91 100+ Posts

Would Texas ever hire a head coach that has no head coaching experience?

5. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

6. misirlou

misirlou 250+ Posts

7. LISD149

LISD149 100+ Posts

There is a blog called Burnt Orange Nation that has a critique of an article by a knowledgable Alabama blogger on the Applewhite situation.

The Alabama blog surmises that Applewhite as OC was an experiment that did not work out. Saban was supposedlly reluctant to let someone with MA's level of experience have control of the offensive schemes and the game planning, so the offense was a kind of three headed monster with the older experienced OL coach (Pendry) heavily involved in the planning and scheme design . According to the blog, Saban did not think the situation worked well and planned to bring in a more experienced coordinator and demote Applewhite to QB coach. Applewhite was not happy with the original arrangement and the demotion did not sit well, so he jumped at the chance to come here. That was the blogger's spin anyway.

8. Zona Horn

Zona Horn 500+ Posts

Rumblings from my SEC friends and Bama fan boards are as follows:

1. He really didn't like Saban or the staff.

2. He was having problems with his "Co-OC" Pendry (of Texans fame); Pendry was apparently angling for more control.

3. Major may have been pissed about being thrown under the bus after the MSU game, when he didn't have much say over the gameplan.

4. Major and his wife apparently hated Tuscaloosa.

In short, while he had a good title, it sounded like a bad situation that could have gotten worse. Now he gets to come home, to a town and program where he is reverred and will be respected, and gets to work for a Head Coach that is a class act. Not too shabby.

I know this: I'd trade places with him!

P.S. Just saw the post immediately above; its based on the same info.

9. Vote For Pedro

Vote For Pedro 500+ Posts

10. SlingeroGuitaro

SlingeroGuitaro 250+ Posts

anyone know how much position coaches get paid here? he was making around $250k at alabama, right?

not that money matters at all, im just curious

11. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

Major's a married man...maybe his wife likes Austin better than Alabama.

12. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang 25+ Posts

Saban is part of that Parcells/Belichick coaching fraternity where you treat everyone who works for you like dogshit and you must control every aspect of your program/team. I bet it is absolutely miserable working for one of those d-heads.

13. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"Major's a married man...maybe his wife likes Austin better than Alabama."

Major's in laws live in San Antonio.

14. LittleBunnyFooFoo

LittleBunnyFooFoo 500+ Posts

as per John McClain from the Houston Chron on 610 in Houston, Pendry has a rep of being a bit domineering (in addition to being quite a bit older than Major), didn't sound like the best situation for Major.

15. austintex

austintex 500+ Posts

16. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

6/13/07:

17. Real_Texas

Real_Texas 25+ Posts

18. Fetoid

Fetoid 25+ Posts

I actually worked w/ Major's then-fiancee at a law firm in Austin in 2003. She had a picture on her desk of the two of them and a puppy dog. She's more than a little partial to Austin, from what I gather.

And yes, this is proof that Major does indeed love puppies, to go along with Jesus.

19. William Cannon

William Cannon 250+ Posts

I still want to know why Texas hired a GD diciple... We dont need another GD, we need some new ideas.

20. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

If you watched Major's O at Rice, it was much more diverse than what GD will do in any given game. [​IMG]

21. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

22. OrangeRB

OrangeRB 500+ Posts

I know nothing about the real situation at Bama but evrything I hear about Saban makes Parcellls look like a saint. I heard on espn radio this afternoon that Saban even gave instructions to all of the assistants working in the office that they were to never makie eye contact with him as he walked down the halls. That's just weird.

[​IMG]

23. wakko227

wakko227 < 25 Posts

just because he talks to GD doesn't make him a disciple. but he's not stupid, either. he knows that GD isn't completely idiotic -- he can recruit and develop QB's, just not call plays, plus the connections.

"hey major, it looks like you've got a 3rd and long situation there. how about a WR screen pass? it's been known to work, you know." "hmm...yeah...ok. thanks, GD."

24. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

25. irishtexan

irishtexan 100+ Posts

Greg Davis' offensive philosophy has never been the problem. His offenses own nearly every record in UT history. We have been an offensive juggernaut since he came here. I have no problems with a GD disciple taking over the reigns.

It's his play calling during certain points of the game, and his tendency to shrink up -- like a grown man in a cold pool -- in pressure-packed games that has been frustrating.

Do not doubt his ability as an OC and his ability to design effective offensive schemes. Do doubt his focusness and play calling when the heat is on.

26. ballrific

ballrific 500+ Posts

27. irishtexan

irishtexan 100+ Posts

28. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

because he knows that every poster on hornfans is ready to throw GD under the bus for everything bad and give major credit for everything good.

29. DCLonghorn8

DCLonghorn8 250+ Posts

DUDE!

I was just watching the press conference from Saint Major's announcement, and Mack Brown said the words,

"Why Major?"

I KNEW he read all my threads! I knew it!!

Coach: Capes, wishbone, orange pants!!