Why Sarkisian? Because he was Saban's OC?!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TXO, Jan 2, 2021.

1. TXO

TXO < 25 Posts

Why did CDC hire Sarkisian? Makes no sense ... thoughts? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Pro 2020 Bama offense ranked #2
    Pro 2019 Bama offense ranked #2
    Con HC record 46-38
    Con HC records at time of hire Strong (record: 0.698) > Sarkisian (record: 0.548)
    Con HC records at time of hire Herman (record: 0.846) > Sarkisian (record: 0.548)
    Con Average HC records for former Bama OC's 0.519

2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

We get it. You're not happy with this hire.

:facepalm:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

All fair points. Who would you have chosen, other than Meyer?

4. TXO

TXO < 25 Posts

Not even a lateral move

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

About like Herman being Meyer's O/C in 2014.

6. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Still would have gone after Campbell. I know he's had some melt downs, but dude can coach. Friggin ISU is going to be like 7-8 depending on how things shake out. Friggin ISU. Oh and they've beaten OU last 2 years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

I will add my name to the list of those completely underwhelmed by this hire. UT is paying $15 million to trade one average coach for another at best average coach. Being Saban's reclamation project OC does not make one Saban.

Feels like a panic hire to me.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Luthor Billis

Luthor Billis 100+ Posts

At least Herman can put a "for sale" sign in his yard now. He has underwhelmed.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  9. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

While we all have our opinions, most can agree that the only sure thing (if that exists) would have been Meyer. Anyone else would have been an enormous step down, at least on paper.

Do I think Sark was a good choice? I don’t know. Maybe.

Do I think he could end up being a pleasant surprise. Yes.

One thing’s for sure: Herman had to go.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Me thinks we have lots of low post trolls today. If you are not a troll, feel free to sponsor. It makes your negative opinion more valuable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  11. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

OP Because he is from California like CDC?

12. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

We are trading Herman for a guy who is about just as good as Herman. Herman was good enough, but wrecked his coaching tenure with the social issues. This had led to punctured recruiting and donations. From a lot of people's perspective, TH had to go. If the best we could do was a different guy, just as good, we were willing to do that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Herman s**t the bed with his leadership. I think he has potential to be a great coach. He has shown glimpses, but his immaturity cost him with his woke approach to alumni.

I think Sark screwed up similarly at USC due to alcoholism. He chose to go sober and has afforded himself a second chance. I will support him just like I supported Akers, McWilliams, Mackovic, Brown, Strong and Herman. I like the hire. The eyes of Texas are upon you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  14. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

So very true.

15. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

CDC is from New Mexico isn't he?

I don't think CDC made this hire based on information accessible on ESPN. It's a serious hire and you don't do it from a shorthand resume and 6 bullet points. Just hope Sark can be successful before the boo birds and internet firing squad make the position untenable.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Once upon a time in history a coach was hired at Texas who had a coaching record of 17-13 (57%) at MS State and Washington.
    Guess who?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  17. horninchicago

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

CDC has lead the way in 2021 and we can choose to support his decision along with the Hartzel and the BOR.

Sark 2021, Not TH.

Made my LHF donation in Dec 2020 with confidence that CDC would make the best decision for Longhorn Nation.

Go Horns!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yeah going to make my donation too (I do my mine in late Jan).

20. Dustbuster

Dustbuster < 25 Posts

I agree with this take. Why reach on someone like Sark who is not a proven head coach? He had very limited success at USC, just look at his record.

If you are going to replace Herman, don't do it with someone with a worse head coaching resume. On top of that, he has well chronicled personal issues.

21. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I do think that Herman was fired as much for his off-the-field antics as his coaching ability. He definitely did not win friends and influence people. That said, his game management skills were awful . He cost us numerous games with poor decision making, like passing up a chip shot FG when only leading by 4 in the 4th quarter against Iowa St.

As has been said already, after Urban, everybody was a step down. They had to pick somebody. Sark's resume is probably as good as anybody's who was available.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  22. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

HAD well chronicled personal issues. Do you not believe in the concepts of humility for mistakes, personal growth due to a will to not repeat those mistakes, and second chances once that growth has been demonstrated?

• Like Like x 2
  23. horninchicago

That was the first post, so, let's hope so.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

He won 100% of his HC games this year at Bama compared to Herman who only won 60%. Watch his press conference, you'll be on board. Huge upgrade over Herman.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. horninchicago

Guessing he won't be on board. And, if hasn't watched it already but spewed that drivel, then he's just likely a troll. If he did watch and he spewed that drivel, he is most likely a troll.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

In answer to the poster's question: yes, mostly.

Look, Herman had to go. He lost the locker room (see articles on negative recruiting) and lost the alumni/fanbase (see articles on fanbase disgust). He lost a top 10 2021 recruiting class (ranked 17th on average) and lost the crown jewel of the 2022 class (Ewers). The Texas fan base would have expected nothing short of a CFP selection to even consider forgiving Herman. Anything short of this would have brought out the nooses. And where would that have left us next year?

Sarkisian is a recovering alcoholic. Ok. I don't hold his past against him - he appears to have righted his ship under the watchful eye of Saban, who doesn't suffer foolishness. Sarkisian has produced a high octane offense for the Tide and two legit Heisman finalists, one of which should win. The work he did with Mac Jones alone, an overlooked 4* recruit, is remarkable. Coaches that develop high-caliber QBs, hire difference-maker assistants, coach up recruits, and win their conferences play for championships, e.g. Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc. Herman failed miserably on these counts. CDC has rolled the dice that Sarkisian can take his obvious success as a coordinator (and not too shabby job as HC for a pitiful Washington program) and become a championship Head Coach at Texas.

I'm pulling for him 100%. :hookem:

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
  27. havoc7701

havoc7701 Sponsor and Aggy Ridiculer

This is probably the best "sum-it-all-up" post I've read as I've been inhaling all these threads last few hours.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I kind of feel the same way however 2 things not on your list of pros and cons are:

1) CDC is closer to the program and If you believe the rumors of current players doing negative recruiting, etc... CDC was seeing the forest through the trees and seeing bigger problems with retaining Hernan.
    So Sark may be a lateral move on paper but to CDC he is an upgrade by, well, not being Herman
    2) Hernan was not CDC’s hire. Now I am sure CDC made every effort to support Herman to a point. But the fact is Hernan was never his guy. And cdc will probably be closer to, and even more supprtive of, Sark for this fact. And Sark will value CDCs counsel.
    I don’t think you can underestimate the value of having the right AD who Has his HC who are 100% vested in each other

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  29. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Could it be the same guy who coached in SEC and P12, had CFL experience and played in the Cotton Bowl? That guy would have some history competeing against the Longhorns along the way.

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He was the QB coach with Pete too
    15 years ago to the day if you know what I mean
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1