Will AJ Play in the NBA?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Truck's Son, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

I know he's really little, but he's got a lot going for him: quick release, accurate from all ranges, great ft shooter, handles the ball really well, distributes the ball really well.

I guess his biggest knock is his height. Even defensively he's shown that he has the ability to guard much taller and stronger players. But if he continues to improve his mid-range game and other aspects of his game, does he have a shot at the NBA, or will his size prevent him from getting a look?

2. whereiend

whereiend 100+ Posts

Well, I'd say it's much more likely that he ends up being a really good player in Europe.

He might be able to make it as a bench PG who plays minimal minutes for instant offense and 3 point shooting. It'd be hard for him to make it in any other role IMO, just because he doesn't use his quickness enough to make up for his lack of height.

3. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

Maybe if he can convince some team that he can play PG.

4. Too short, IMO.

5. HatDaddy

HatDaddy 1,000+ Posts

He will be able to shoot at will in Eruope.

6. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

He needs to work on his PG ball-handling skills. BUT, with his shot, I think he has...a shot. [​IMG]

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

7. DKR777

DKR777 250+ Posts

What kind of pro career did Hollis Price have?

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

TJ did not have the greatest shot and was not exactly buff. Now, he was magical on the drive and I adore him to this day. But AJ is still young and has time to develop. He won't play in the pro's likely at this time but we'll have to see. I would love to see another Horn in the NBA.

9. whereiend

whereiend 100+ Posts

10. Trilla

Trilla 25+ Posts

l00p,

TJ is magical with the ball in his hands period. He's a very good PG in the NBA. AJ is no where close to TJ.

11. hookem2102

hookem2102 250+ Posts

I love him for us but there is no way he plays in the NBA .

12. Texas Hold'em

Texas Hold'em First Time Poster

How's JJ Redick doing right now?

He's not able to create his own shot at the NBA level and is a defensive liability. Any reason AJ would be better suited? I'm not so sure.

13. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Abrams has a quicker trigger than Reddick, and doesn't need much space to get a shot off. Whether that's enough to earn him playing time in the NBA is doubtful, as Reddick is better at other aspects of the game, but I don't think AJ's ability to get a shot off will be what holds him back.

14. eavesdrop

eavesdrop < 25 Posts

15. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

If Daniel Gibson isn't too small to play SG, than AJ isn't too small to play PG. Not saying he will, but he could.

I think AJ can get space for his own 3 better than Reddick - we don't screen for AJ nearly as much as Duke screened for JJ, and rarely do you set up 3s with screens in the NBA.

17. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

18. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

I feel like I've shown a remarkable amount of restraint, actually.

The comparison of AJ's potential to play in the NBA to Daniel Gibson's ability to play in the NBA is what finally undid me. If anything, I probably should have "threadshit' --- as you call it --- as soon as your post appeared.

19. texashorne

texashorne 250+ Posts

IMHO, Yes. Not next season though. I think DJ will go pro and Texas will rely on AJ alot next year for scoring/ball handling and his numbers will go up enough to be taken as a second rounder. [​IMG]

20. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

ok, I'll be the one to say it...

there is a snowballs chance in hell that AJ plays in the NBA

I can't even believe the question was asked

21. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

22. gsoda3

gsoda3 250+ Posts

no, i don't think so. he will get manhandled by the nba guards. his range won't translate to the nba: he's nowhere near as good shooting 2 feet beyond the arc as he is the college three point shot. no one's going to keep a guard on a team with a quick release who solely makes long jump shots. they're more inclined to keep a 2/3 or an extra 5.

rick barnes says aj's a really good point guard but doesn't get an opportunity to display it. but i think if he can't beat justin mason for backup duty that should say something about where his PG skills stand.

23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

24. hornv

hornv 100+ Posts

It is a potentially dangerous thread because there really isn't a chance in hell that AJ will play in the NBA. If you come out and say this then you may have to back it up. If you back it up then you have to openly criticize AJ which is against the posting guidelines.

25. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

No. He can't handle the ball well enough and is small and doesn't drive the lane. I can maybe see some team bringing him in late in games when they need a trey but you don't keep too many guys on the roster for such specific roles. But we'll see.

26. anotherwebexpert

anotherwebexpert 100+ Posts

Simple ansswer is no.

AJ was a small shooting guard in high school, an even smaller shooting guard in college, and that will only get magnified in the NBA.

He isn't overly quick, isn't a great leaper, and doesn't have great physical strength.

You don't develop point guard skills you are born with the instincts to play the position and he has never shown the defenisve instincts AI has shown in playing the passing lanes.

AJ is a good college player, but good college players don't always project well to the NBA.

27. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

28. MinnesotaHorn

MinnesotaHorn 25+ Posts

The simple answer to your question is no. AJ's release is the only part of his game that is elite. His ball-handling, floor vision and the fact that he calls Brandon Foster 'Stretch' would all be mocked in the WNBA.

29. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

30. dahobbs

dahobbs 100+ Posts

Royal Ivey