Will Bush grant any more pardons

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by BA93, Jan 19, 2009.

1. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

Wonder if a blanket pardon will be issued for anyone associated with the torture cases. And there is also the case of the two border patrol agents who shot the drug dealer and then covered it up.

A few weeks ago Bush pulled back one pardon after some additional info was discovered. How does that work? Is it just a filing deadline or can a president always change his mind? And how does that work with a presidential transition? If the same thing happened today/tomorrow, could Obama overturn a bush pardon? I know he can't but Bush wouldn't be able to either.

2. TahoeHorn

TahoeHorn 1,000+ Posts

He just commuted their sentences.

3. cinchhorn

cinchhorn 100+ Posts

He just pardoned the border patrol agents! [​IMG]
    Forgot to add per foxnews website.

4. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

'Bout damn time!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Rio Frio

Rio Frio 250+ Posts

He didn't pardon them, cinchhorn; he commuted their sentences. So they've still been convicted, just won't do any more jail time.

6. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

Commuting their sentence is the right move as opposed to pardoning them. They were wrong and the conviction should stand. You can't have agents shooting people running away from you.

7. Fried JJ Pickles

Fried JJ Pickles 1,000+ Posts

Bush just commuted the sentence of a couple of cold blooded shooters with badges.

For a president whose legacy is a redefinition and word and dismantling of the concept of freedom, this is an appropriate pardon for his presidency.

8. cinchhorn

cinchhorn 100+ Posts

You'll have to excuse me on the pardoning/commuting, I read the headline before their was an article.
    "You can't have agents shooting people running away from you. " BA93, who do you believe the drug runner or the agents? Both parties had some wrong doing, but ultimately who are you going to believe? LE shoot people running all the time, TN v. Garner gave that tool, its all about articulation.
    Congrats to Ramos and Compean!

9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Fried
    Just to be clear the drug dealer who got shot in the butt is alive and managed to commit many more crimes after he got shot.

Do you feel as much contempt for the man who got the FALN terrorists pardoned/ commuted? You know the same Holder that was part of the clinton admin and is now part of the obama administration?

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

I don't really get commuting the sentence. It seems like you either give them a full pardon (so that they don't have it on their record) or you let them serve their time.

What has been done now is say that the jury was right but we only punish the guys a couple of years in the slam. I don't like the middle ground. I'm not saying they deserve a pardon or not, but it seems to me that they should either be pardoned or do the time sentenced to them for the crime.

Kinda strange to my perspective.

11. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Just curious how Bush's list compares to Clinton's list. Can anyone give me the bottom line?

12. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

13. Rip76

Rip76 1,000+ Posts

Uninformed...

I'd like to see that also.

14. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

It's common knowledge that Bush pardoned much fewer criminals than Clinton.

Pardoning these guys would be wrong. Is it right to pardon 2 LE officers for covering up after shooting someone?

15. Rio Frio

Rio Frio 250+ Posts

16. Rio Frio

Rio Frio 250+ Posts

A more detailed list of Clinton pardons, to include the alleged crime.

17. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

18. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Isn't everyone waiting to see if Bush will ultimately pardon Scooter Libby?

19. triplehorn

triplehorn 2,500+ Posts

Regardless of how impressed you are about Bush's record of pardons, his commutation of Scooter Libby's prison sentence is tantamount to obstruction of justice. Libby did not serve a single day of jail time - a reward for his omerta to protect his boss. The commutation instead of a pardon ensures that Libby's right to plead the 5th remains intact so that he can't be compelled to testify to Congress under further penalty of perjury to implicate his bosses.

and FWIW, indications are that with the border patrol matter out of the way, Bush is done with pardons:

20. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Triple, that didn't sound like praise. Aren't you impressed, especially after all those pardons given by Clinton including some involved in the Whitewater investigation? Seems to me like a nice turnaround. Can I hear a "yeah" Bush?

21. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

22. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

If Pardoned couldn't Libby be compelled to tell the truth? About others?

23. triplehorn

triplehorn 2,500+ Posts

Summer- yep. see my post at the bottom of page one. There's a calculated difference between Commuting Libby's prison term versus an outright pardon, and that calculated difference has to do with Bush and Cheney covering their own asses.

Uninformed - I will be more than peasantly surprised if Bush offers no more 11th hour pardons or commutations.

24. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

I assume you meant "pleasantly" surprised unless, of course, you are looking for an out. [​IMG]

25. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

W has nothing to lose. He could/should pardon or commute with no guilt given the list of the guy before him. I don't see W doing anywhere close to as many as Clinton though. We'll see.

Maybe he will forgive Saddam for coming after his daddy too. Oh, wait, too late for that dirt breather.

26. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

27. Rio Frio

Rio Frio 250+ Posts

Just saw a report on the news that Bush has pardoned 1/2 of the number of people Clinton did. Take that for whatever its worth. I'm assuming the official numbers will be out soon.

28. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

29. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts

30. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Besides being half the number, Bush's pardons were for people who already were out of jail.