Will CS be Texas' John Blake?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by gahornphan, Oct 3, 2016.

1. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

Remember he recruited the team that Stoops coached to the MNC.

2. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

So our next coach will hate puppies and Jesus?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Our next coach's favorite historical American leader will be King George III?

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

NB,

Please use the proper terminology. Blake didn't recruit anyone, but rather paid his street agents and/or bought them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. slowrider

slowrider 250+ Posts

That's a bit of an overstatement. OU didn't have a QB on campus when Stoops arrived. There were at least 4 walk-ons that started for the 2000 NC team and 2-3 freshman. The other significant thing that occurred were several position changes, i.e. DBs to WRs, DL to OL, etc.

John Blake likes to take credit but the truth is only about half of the players that started were recruited by him and several ended up playing on different sides of the ball.

Believe me, as a Sooner fan that suffered thru the Blake years Charlie looks like a genius.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

You are right. When Texas won last year, I swear I saw the ghost of John Blake holding a headset on the sideline.

7. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Charlie can conjugate verbs. Blake couldn't.

And do not underestimate the race thing. I sold my extra OU tickets last year to a Texas Ex about my age, 60, who was very uncomfortable with the fact that Mrs. Strong is white. Basically every sentence started with "Now, I'm not prejudiced, but.......".

8. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Strong is a terrible coach because Mrs. Strong is white ? Not sure that is the reason he is a terrible head coach or will be considered when he is booted. Not too many people care about mixed marriages in 2016.
    As bad as Strong's performance has been , he is much better than Blake.
    I was in the Cotton Bowl when we were chanting "Keep John Blake" much to chagrin of the Sooners. You won't hear any "Keep Charley Strong" coming from the toothless end of the stadium this Saturday.

9. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

Strong is a terrible coach. Your first five words said it all. I have a buddy at work that's a blowu fan and he is hoping real bad we keep Strong. I bet most if not all ou fans would love to see Charlie stay at UT ... they'd sacrifice seeing us haul in top 10 recruiting classes to watch them "coached up" to 6-6 type teams.

10. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Lets see if we hear the "Keep Strong" chant Saturday. Probably no chant since most of the Sooners will have left before the end of the game. Probably hard to chant keeping someone that has just kicked your behind the second time in a row.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Slow,

Maybe Stoops didn't have a decent QB, but equally of not more important, Stoops had no WRs. Leach had to make do with stone handed RBs for WRs. I made the statement during that first game, that when Stoops got any WRs, we were in trouble. Next year, exit Leach, enter Mangino, and you know the rest.

12. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

We will if they kick our butt.