Will fans still sing The Eyes post-game even if its banned?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Jun 19, 2020.

1. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• poop poop x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

My practically lifelong admiration and following if Texas football is seriously waning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

from the email we received from Interim President Jay Hartzell:

“The Eyes of Texas,” in its current form, will continue to be our alma mater. Aspects of its origin, whether previously widely known or unknown, have created a rift in how the song is understood and celebrated, and that must be fixed. It is my belief that we can effectively reclaim and redefine what this song stands for by first owning and acknowledging its history in a way that is open and transparent.

Together, we have the power to define what the Eyes of Texas expect of us, what they demand of us, and what standard they hold us to now. "The Eyes of Texas" should not only unite us, but hold all of us accountable to our institution’s core values. But we first must own the history. Only then can we reimagine its future, and I look forward to partnering with our campus community to do just that.

We're keeping The Eyes of Texas, so don't stress out.

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Didn't see the "can stay or not" part but ok, I get it. I would venture to say that with victory there will be more stay for the playing than in defeat, of course that is just my opinion. In fact I say the more significant victories.....the more inclination to stay. It is a celebration after all.

5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

In 2 years, all of this will be in the past and mostly forgotten. This is a generational update to make the campus more inclusive. As the letter stated, blacks who are admitted (and some with scholarship) go elsewhere. This has been an issue since at least the early 90’s. As far as I know, it will be a perception issue forever because rival coaches use it all the time for negative recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. LonghornCatholic

• poop poop x 5
  7. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Caden we see what we want to see. Sorry you see it that way.

8. LonghornCatholic

I could see some recruits appreciating the changes Texas has/will make and be eager to sign. Hopefully it will all even out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I respect Caden's decision but I'd respect it more if he just did it without publicizing it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. horninchicago

I don't. How does he essentially come to work at UT as a player to earn his scholarship and not become familiar with the Eyes of Texas until now? Would an employee at a company be given this sort of latitude in corporate culture, etc.?

"I want to work here, but I refuse to use the slogan."

BS.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Orangeyman

Orangeyman 100+ Posts

Totally agree. This was part of my concern from the moment the ultimatum was issued- it will NEVER be enough.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

HIC & Orangey.

He is in for several rude awakenings:

1) As an NFL GM, would you draft someone that treated his previous "employer" and/or benefactor that way?

2) As an HR director or business executive, would you hire him?

The kid is one injury away from disaster. Will one of the puppeteers hire him for $250,000 a year?

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. horninchicago

Haven't watched the NFL in years, really, but if they think "Stearns" jerseys will sell, NFL owners have no scruples from what I can tell.

In the non pro sports world, no, I agree, they are not hirable. That was my point.

14. Orangeyman

Orangeyman 100+ Posts

If these “students” spent as much time doing actual research as they apparently have looking for anything that might possibly be offensive, then they would have a chance to be hired for something non-football related.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Do you really believe they did any "research"?

All the "facts" (real or adulterated) were gift wrapped and delivered to them by the puppeteers, along with scripts for dialogue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Orangeyman

Orangeyman 100+ Posts

That was my attempt at humor.

• Like Like x 1
  17. horninchicago

@SabreHorn love ya buddy but your sarcasm meter needs an adjustment. :D

(That was sarcasm)

:ousucksnana:

• Like Like x 1
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I’m afraid The University of Utmost Political Correctness has destroyed my sense of humor and appreciation for sarcasm.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

But let's make sure we explain ourselves before we sing it. In fact, maybe we need to explain ourselves when we go to the football game...you know, beg forgiveness for everything we've done....beg the players to play for us......plead with them to forget a bunch of us white people are in the stands and supposedly enjoying their efforts.

20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Hopefully the hyperbole of "they're gonna ban fans from singing" can die down now....

• Like Like x 1
  21. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Hold on there Senor SabreHorn. With all due respect, I cannot let this temporary lapse of your generally excellent sense of humor and positive relations all around go by the wayside.
    You are a pillar of this website. And your humor, appreciation of sarcasm & parody of all sorts and general goodwill is one of the stronger forces of good that keeps Hornfans horns up. Take a break if need be, treat yourself to a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle to sip while watching replays of DKR's Show with Cactus Pryor hosting. (or Maker'sMark 46 will work cause Pappy's is really hard to find).

22. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I will be interested to see how many players join in the singing of the Eyes at the end of the game. Don't think it is asking a lot of them to join in all things considered.

Am still in favor of getting rid of scholarships for athletes entirely. Many of them don't qualify by the standards the rest of us have had to meet and I sure don't recall anybody tutoring me or setting me up for easy courses.

• Hot Hot x 1
  23. LonghornCatholic

I shouldn’t be, but curious how many white dudes refuse to sing as well.

• Hot Hot x 1
  24. Giovanni Jones

There have been a few African-Americans in the LHB. I suppose they never had a issue with playing The Eyes? (But then again, they obviously knew what they were getting into.)

25. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

This idea of "reimagining" the song... TF does that mean? The purpose of the song has ALWAYS been unity and pride among ALL Longhorns.

WTF are they talking about?

• Agree Agree x 6
  26. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

More than a few...

27. Giovanni Jones

Perhaps I should have said "probably no more than 5% of the LHB in any given year," but the semantics & numbers are beside the point: that there are (and have been) members of the LHB who are African-American (including 2016 Drum Major Kevin Kwaku) and to my knowledge none of them have publicly raised any kind of issue or objection about playing The Eyes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Not yet.......

29. Giovanni Jones

Agreed. I would say that the song (which began as a satirical skit aimed at the University's president) was long ago repurposed into an anthem of unity and pride among ALL Longhorns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I just heard Earl Campbell live on The Horn (104.9 FM) say, "That was then and this is now. There is nothing wrong with 'The Eyes of Texas'. Leave 'The Eyes of Texas' alone." I hope he said that same thing directly to these disgruntled athletes so maybe this can die down for a while.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2