Will Mack Brown be blue again?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The good ol days

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The earlier part is some admin types speaking

He sounds good, IMHO

4. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Interesting to see that he was working from notes...wonder if that would have occurred had Les Miles not had his stumbles during the Rock Chalk intro...

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Maybe Sally wrote it for him?
    He does say her name about 100 times

6. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Did I hear correctly that he said he had interviewed for jobs while still at Texas?

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Mack Brown is now suddenly the the FBS' active win leader with 238.
    Nick Saban has only 235

• Like Like x 1
  8. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Wow. He knows how to impress, great listen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

$17 million over 5 years.
    Seems a little on the cheap side for a MNC winning coach.

10. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

that script will flip quickly

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

A Texas-UNC bowl game would be cool
    Or weird

12. horninchicago

@WorsterMan, are you WTFing me or that Mack may have been interviewing for other jobs while at Texas? :beertoast:

What I heard was that he had and didn't take any jobs because they weren't a good fit.

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

1994 Sun Bowl in reverse?

• Like Like x 3
  14. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Mack, Bro... :beertoast:

• Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  15. horninchicago

Figured. I'm getting sensitive in my old age. :ousucksnana:

16. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

What I heard was he looked at other jobs while he was special assistant to the AD or whatever the title was not while still coaching the team.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. horninchicago

Without going back and finding it in the clip, I hope that is correct.

18. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

19. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations Coach. Wish you and Sally all of the best!

:unc::unc:TAR HEEL PRIDE:unc::unc:

• Like Like x 2
  20. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

and two conference championships. I loved Mack ... but I think this may be over the top.

this performance would warrant a statue at Baylor ... not Texas.

Incredibly, Tom Herman has Texas playing for a conference championship in his second year. So in 3 years he could have as many conference championships as Mack had in 15 on the 40 Acres.

We played second fiddle to oU for a decade; and it's not like oU is John Blake's oU.

It's time to right the ship and we have that chance in 72 hours.

Ok. Cool

HOOK 'EM!

21. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

A national title would warrant a statue at all schools, including this school, as a total of two people have successfully won one here.
    1 national title > 20 conference titles.

For all his conference titles, Bob Stoops won the same number of national titles as Mack Brown.

Do TCU fans remember winning the mountain west in 2010 or remember winning the Rose Bowl more?

20 years from now, will the average fan remember what the SWC even was? What if the Big 12 folds?

Conference titles are a big deal for places like Baylor and Kansas State where they are not national title contenders and the conference is all the can hope to win.

Nothing beats a national title, especially an undefeated unanimous national title.

Most fans can say DKR won 3 national titles. How many remember the exact number of conference titles he won without looking it up?

22. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  23. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Perhaps that's because the number is unbelievable in a 19 year tenure ... without looking it up.

05 was an awesome season and I'm thankful for it. I'm also thankful for 09 playing for the NC ... but two conference championships in 15 years doesn't cut it and that's why Mack hasn't been the Texas HC for 5 years, now.

I guess we'll just disagree on this point. Mack was a really good one and I am thankful to and for him. He didn't produce as well as Coach Royal, so my druther would be ... "hold off" on deifying a coach who didn't earn it ... just because it's been so very long.

24. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

He is not as good as DKR. No one disputes that. However, he is the second best coach in school history.

Conference titles by UT head coach:
    DKR: 11
    Dana Bible: 3
    John Mackovic: 3*
    Mack Brown: 2
    Fred Akers: 2
    Clyde Littlefield: 2
    Ed Price: 2
    David McWilliams: 1
    Blair Cherry: 1
    Berry Whitaker: 1
    Bill Juneau: 1
    Eugene Van Gent: 1
    Charlie Strong: 0
    Jack Chevigny: 0

*In 1994, A&M had the best conference record but was on probation, and an 8-4 Texas team shared a conference title in a 5 way tie with Baylor, TCU, Tech and Rice. One of the problems with conference titles as a standard is they are inconsistent and screwy. Are the 8-4 1994 Texas Longhorns who finished ranked #23 (and ironically beat Mack Brown in the Sun Bowl) better for falling into a situation that allowed them share a conference title with four other teams than the 11-1 2004 Rose Bowl Champ Texas Longhorns that finished #4 and lost the conference to 12-1 OU which played for the national title? Which was the better team and coaching job? The 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2008 Longhorns are better than a lot of UT teams that won conference titles. The 08 team actually tied with OU and Tech and should have been at least co-champs, but got screwed because people like Art Briles voted us low and we lost the BCS tiebreaker.

In general, only DKR has won a bunch of conference titles. That’s what makes him the best. After him, Mack Brown is easily the second most accomplished coach. For third, it is debatable between Akers, Dana Bible and possibly Blair Cherry.

Overall win % on coaches since the 1930s:
    DKR: .774
    Mack Brown: .767
    Blair Cherry: .756
    Fred Akers: .731
    Clyde Littlefield: .691
    Dana Bible: .665
    Tom Herman: .640 (so far)
    John Mackovic: .592
    Ed Price: .549
    David McWilliams: .544
    Jack Chevigny: .483
    Charlie Strong: .433

Yep, Brown is the second best coach we have had.

On a side note, if Herman wins Saturday, Charlie Strong will be the only Texas head coach without a conference title since 1936.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  25. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

conference titles are screwy ... and the popularity contest natties aren't?

There have been but a few undisputed national titles ... and Brown's is one of 'em.

Perhaps I'm still irritated that he didn't act when he needed to act to avoid the 4+ year slide.

oh ... Cherry's def higher than Akers. My impression of Fred Akers will be the guy Coach Royal told to run the camera back on that play during Longhorn club luncheons. Perhaps unfair ... but that's my memory of him.

26. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Fair point, I’ll admit.

• Like Like x 1
  27. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Doubt money was the motivating factor here...it gave him a chance to go home and ride off into the sunset. It still allows Sally to buy a metric phuckton of orange slices...

28. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

My impression of Fred Akers was a coach who coached under Royal for 9 years, rising to co-OC, and upon returning to HC at Texas took a 5-5-1 team with an overweight, out-of-position Earl Campbell (Royal had him as a fullback, not a tailback) in an aging offense (the triple option wishbone), slimmed Earl down, dotted the I with him, and promptly in his first year took Texas back to a No. 1 ranking and an 11-0 regular season record.

Well, we disagree on Akers.

• Like Like x 1
  29. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

OK ... I'll give Akers credit for putting Earl in a position to dominate. Unfortunately, Earl didn't have 10 years of eligibility.

Another Texas coach did the same thing a year or two later down in Houston.

I'm sure Fred was a nice guy and I mean no disrespect, but I don't think he was HC material. The insecure administration seemed poised to sacrifice the University's success in football to put a particular coach in his place.

If Mike Campbell would have succeeded Royal ... well, If and buts ...

• Like Like x 1
  30. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, I'm sure Mike would have done a good job, was certainly DKR's pick, but Frank Erwin wouldn't have any part of it.

Pretty sure Akers, when he returned, also sort of rebuffed DKR which led to a cool relationship between the two after that.

Hook 'em

• Agree Agree x 1