Will Mack Brown be blue again?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

A little research indicates the following as possible landing spots for Kingsbury as an OC:

Kansas City Chiefs
    Dallas Cowboys
    Cleveland Browns (notwithstanding Baker's issues with Tech)
    USC
    North Carolina

2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately Baker's problem at Tech was Kingsbury.

3. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Yeah... the sportswriter thought the time that has passed might smooth things out but after hearing Baker's comments about Hugh Jackson accepting a paycheck from the Bengals I'm with you in the sense that I don't think Baker is the forgiving sort.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Mack has officially taken Tim Brewster from aggy, his first coach hire
    That always seemed like such an odd match

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

But is the station still lit?

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Oh its lit

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

aggy wonders why anyone would ever leave the station

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Collie Station or Chapel Hill?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Love it! So Tim what’s really going on there?
    Well, they’re saying ”xyz, and selling abc”
    Hey Tom real quick, before you send us information on your second and third choices per position, which will be our first choice out here, just thought I’d let you know what the Jamies’ enablers are selling.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  10. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

And by the way, I hope Mack kills it.
    Always thankful for the great years here.
    Too many great players, and moments to name.
    But I will name one.
    Reverse to Ramonce in the great comeback vs Okie lite and Les Miles at home.
    If you haven’t seen it, YouTube it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I guess Brewster wasn't $EC ready.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Mack Brown's last staff at UT

-Major Applewhite (UH HC)
    -Greg Robinson (Reportedly UNC DC)
    -Duane Akina (Stan DBs)
    -Bruce Chambers (Arlington ISD Asst. AD)
    -Bo Davis (Lions DL)
    -Oscar Giles (UT DL)
    -Larry Porter (Auburn TE)
    -Stacy Searels (The U OL)
    -Darrell Wyatt (UCF WR)

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  14. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Good hire. Greg Robinson did a good job at Texas in 2013 and at San Jose State after.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

In 2004 Greg Robinson held an offense with Adrian Peterson and Jason White to 12 points despite the UT offense giving him no help at all. In 2013 the defense scored 7 on Oklahoma, and only allowed 13 - the only touchdown of which came on a 20-yard drive after a long kick return. UNC should schedule OU pronto! :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I don't remember the total number but I do remember that DKR won six in a row at one point.

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

What is Greg Davis doing?

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I so hope he flips a few aggy commits

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I just got back from NC earlier this month. Beautiful state with the leaves changing in late Oct, early November. I so respect Coach Brown. Probably my favorite UT coach since I was so young when I saw Darrel Royal coach in the 70's. He is going to get UNC going again. Dabo better look out!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

When Mack Brown left Texas, compared to OU he had the most recent National Title, the most recent Title Berth, most recent P5 BCS victory, the most recent outright Division/Conference Title, and the most recent win in the head-to-head series.

• Like Like x 3
  21. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

annnnnddd then he left, and Bob righted the ship, and left it on a high note.....Bob dominated Mack....Statalyzer, stats don't lie and then they do......Mack was a fine recruiter and motivational speaker, but coach? Compare him to Bobby "dadgum it" Bowden....hire some good assistants and reel 'em in.....Mack's a good guy but revisionist history still cannot deny the fact that OU owned/owns the Big 12...…..If not for Vince, not titles, if not for Colt, oh yeah, still no titles (and a Big 12 title when one second got put back on the clock)

22. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I remember when sooners would come on this board and argue the same thing. We get it. You hate Mack Brown and do not think much of his or Texas’s success in the 2000s. I will never understand Texas fans trying to diminish their own school’s past successes or fans hating either coach that won us a national title.

From 2000-2010 only Boise State and OU won more games than Texas and Mack Brown. Apparently being good at motivational speaking and hiring assistants led to more victories than all but two other programs. Bobby Bowden also somehow won a lot of football games the same way.

The two most successful coaches in the 2000s (Brown and Stoops) being in the same division does not mean the other “could not coach”. Stop and think about the argument for Mack Brown being a “bad coach.” The argument is “he did not win as many games as Bob Stoops in the 2000s. Bob Stoops won the most games. Mack Brown not winning the most games of any coach and only winning the second most games makes him a bad coach.” That’s moronic. If Brown and Stoops are not in each other’s division, they both win even more and probably face each other in multiple national title games.

You do not win a 100+ games in a decade if you “cant coach”. :rolleyes1: The stats do not lie.

• Like Like x 6
  23. zuckercanyon

Didn't really appreciate 63-14 65-13 and so on.....also didn't appreciate leaving the zone read and screwing Gilbert.....didn't appreciate Colt McCoy glorification to detriment of team (national championship). Yes am appreciative of national title but wouldn't have gotten it without Vince (let Vince be Vince)

• poop poop x 2
  24. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Mack Brown ended Nebraska's 47 game home winning streak in 1998, finished 8-1 against Nebraska and let them leave to the Big 10 with a Texas upset win in Lincoln over their #6 ranked team.
    Mack Brown went 10-4 against A&M including sending them to the SEC with a loss at home to Texas. Those wins included a lot of curb stomping.
    Mack Brown left us with a 52-10 scoreboard over Arkansas as well and left us with scoreboard over OU.
    Mack Brown went 10-4 in bowl games. That is the most bowl victories of any Texas coach. Those include wins over Jackie Sherrill, Lloyd Carr and Michigan, Pete Carroll and USC, Kirk Ferentz and Iowa, Jim Tressel and Ohio State and revenge over Jeff Tedford and Cal.
    Mack Brown went 8-2 against Mike Leach and never lost to Texas Tech in Austin.
    Mack Brown beat Nick Saban and LSU in the Cotton Bowl (without Vince Young).
    Mack Brown led Texas to five top 5 finishes and seven top 10 finishes.
    There were countless all americans, NFL players, award winners, DBU, etc.
    In 2008, we were a crabtree play away from being the first and only team in history to beat 4 top 15 teams in a row in consecutive weeks (this has still never happened).

All of this is something a bad coach could do.... not.

But yeah, focus on the negative from the winningest decade in Texas football history. Makes football way more fun.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

You could say this about most any successful team. Who recruited VY and put him in a position to be a champion? Mack gets credit for that.

Nobody likes the bad losses Mack had but he also had us in TWO national title games, and should have been there in 2008 as well. How many coaches do that?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  26. zuckercanyon

c
    Point taken.

27. zuckercanyon

Not many.

28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Aggies chose Reggie McNeil. Didn’t work out as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

The (Chapel) Hill is lit!

30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

My take is this (I bet you can't wait!):

1) Mack Brown is now a Texas legend because he delivered a national championship and had this team consistently in the top ten for a long stretch while competing against coaches such as Bob Stoops, Mike Leach, Art Briles, Mike Gundy, Mark Mangino and Bill Snyder among others.
    2) You have to admit it; for a while there we were all enjoying it immensely.
    3) "Let Vince be Vince": Yes, and he did.
    4) When Vince scored the winning touchdown against USC: Better than sex?
    5) The Colt era was also about winning at a very high level. We'd take that now.

The problems appear to be that he started coasting and stayed too long. Believe me, I was ready for him to go as much as anyone else. The bad feelings at the end are still being remembered and maybe should be forgotten just like the end-times for Tom Landry were after Jerry fired him.