Will OU students discuss the Sooner nickname?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Ajo Macho, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Nothing is sacred these days. I don't see why it wouldn't come up.

For that matter, Oklahoma's nickname is "The Sooner State". Might that change as well?

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Before this clown took over, I have images of Dr Borenyelling them, “Shut the f**k up and leave”

3. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Land thieves not racist enough to be a talking point.

4. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

News still hasn't reached Oklahoma that the CORONA virus is a thing. I don't think word of social change will ever make it there

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I realize I am making a big assumption saying this, but it is an educated one: What area would you expect to find more racists in.....around Norman or Austin? Me thinks Norman.
    And then there is the now-villified "OK" hand signal which bears the same letters as an identifier as the state...OK, so they must be racist. And "OU" is a more aggressive and obscene hate symbol than that, and we all know this, so....
    I mean, I know I'm personally offended by it even...and I'm white!
    Oh, yeah....and remember that girl that got into it with the running back in that eating place?!? See....they have a real problem there and someone needs to make sure these young student-athletes know. It's the right thing to do.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  6. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

OU has had it's share of racial incidents .. not violence so much as drunken fraternity guys/soroity chicks that embarrassed the campus with racist talking/singing and got their butts thrown out of school. Norman is a relatively insulated enclave of liberalism and political correctness ... at least by Oklahoma standards.

7. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Oklahoma has standards? When did that happen?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Norman leans towards Austin but is not as loopy. It's your typical college town.

Is anything sacred now? As a part native I'm not offended by our naming. It's just a fact of history. I can't imagine anyone but some OSU fans making a stink. :)

An old Indian man told me a parable about growing up in Tulsa as it related to tribal politics and the roll of Freedmen citizens. You see, Oklahoma Indians often want to keep their tribal cards to themselves instead of allowing in their respective Freedmen "citizens" citizenship. These were typically former slaves or freed slaves who lived amongst them and made the Trail of Tears along with them. It's a thing that's not spoken of much here. Anyway, the story went: "When I grew up in Tulsa we had Sambo's, Frito Bandito's, and a tire place that used the phrase 'Ugh, you need 'um tire'. All three utilized some level of racial stereotyping for their marketing. Sambo's closed first and then Frito Bandito. The Indian thing lasted a lot longer. We need to remember that." His point was that while people may care about things with regard to the various races, they typically care about protecting the Indians the least. And the Indians will be less vocal than anyone else as well.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

" As a part native I'm not offended by our naming."
    What does that mean? Only one of your parents is from Oklahoma?

10. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Indian. My dad was Creek. My mom is Cherokee like Liz Warren is.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Ironically, I was born in Tyler. Dad was a Asst. DA there just out of law school.

12. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

So, not really Cherokee at all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

But mom has the high cheekbones. :)

That was just red meat for you there. Like an OAN question at a press conference.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yeah, I think SAE fraternity @ ou had that member singing a racial type song on a bus trip that someone recorded 2-3 years ago. Think he and a few others were asked to leave ou. Maybe it was another college?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Nope. That's us. There were a few more similar scenarios. The greek system is less than perfect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Here's a topic that doesn't get much play, the Tulsa race riots of 1921. It was a real mess and doesn't get much attention after 99 years.

Never heard of it? Here's a clip from the story (see link below)

"News Blackout
    For decades, there were no public ceremonies, memorials for the dead or any efforts to commemorate the events of May 31-June 1, 1921. Instead, there was a deliberate effort to cover them up."

[​IMG]

LINK:
    https://www.history.com/topics/roaring-twenties/tulsa-race-massacre

17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Ok Bubba but what does your parentage have to do with OU celebrating land thieves?

18. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Part of my ancestors stole land from another part of my ancestors. Seems relevant.

19. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I know about it but only as a paragraph in my mind. Sadly, not until I watched the Watchmen on HBO did I learn as much as I did.

20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

When has that mattered before?

21. immtex

immtex 100+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 1