Williams vs Ditka. Who wins?

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Dionysus, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Ya gotta go with Ditka because Ditka.

• Like Like x 3
  2. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Old school guys knew how to gouge and grab and poke and not get caught. And we liked it. We LOVED it.

Old school rules with no smart phones or telephoto lenses = my money is still on Ditka

• Like Like x 2
  3. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Ditka vs Hurricane Katrina? Money is on Ditka.

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Ditka vs 2005 Texas AND 2005 USC? Ditka by 3

5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

DITKA!!

6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Around thirty years ago, I was taking my two children up to Dallas to watch the Cowboys play the Steelers in what I believe was a preseason game. I was supposed to get my tickets from Robert Newhouse the day before the game, but a mix-up caused me to go to the Cowboy's offices. I was fortunate to have them handed to me by Gil Brandt, who invited me in for a cup of coffee. We talked football (he talked, I listened), during which time he asked me if I knew the most important factor in a TE.

He said that the Cowboys had one year ranked three college TEs almost even physically. As well as I can remember, the conversation went something like this about the three:

Ken ??? Rice TE from Conroe - smartest of the three, as well as the largest. Rice threw the ball. Great blocker, good hands, average speed. Almost a OT playing TE. Was state champion discuss thrower in HS. A real gentleman and good teammate.

Albert Choate (???) OU TE - Oklahoma runs the wishbone and doesn't throw much. Best blocker of the three, the fastest, but also the smallest. Quiet kid.

A kid out of Monroe. La, who had to go up north to play for a big school on a scholarship arranged by Willie Ray Smith, Sr, HC at Charleton Pollard in Beaumont, and the man that helped many black athletes go to the BigTen, Big 8, and PAC 8.

The OU TE went to the Raiders and lasted about two years.

Ken went to Chiefs and lasted about three years.

Billy Joe Dupree was mean as ****, starting fights in the locker room in HS and in practice at Michigan State. He didn't miss a game in over a decade with the Cowboys.

Brandt said the most important factor in a TE was "MEAN". You don't want anyone that you would like to have coffee with or introduce to your wife.

Dikta qualifies!

• Like Like x 2
  7. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

I think the OU guy was Albert Chandler. Rod Shoate was a defensive back who was a 3 time All-American on those monster teams they had in mid 70's. He and my late partner were first cousins. Rod died in 1999 of AIDS, penniless in a rooming house in Spiro, Ok. Got hold of a dirty needle. Smack had been a problem for him since he was with the Patriot's for 7 years.

8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

You are correct, my friend, and Ken's last name was Pearson. Couldn't remember that, and it popped into my head this afternoon driving down the Katy Frwy.

Choate remains the best OU LB I ever saw including Carl McAdams. He was also the fastest. I really hated that his life turned out the way it did, but as I was told by someone that tried to help him several times, "You have to want to get well, and I couldn't reach Rod".