Win over OU = Texas #1

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by killerfrog17, Oct 5, 2008.

1. killerfrog17

killerfrog17 250+ Posts

I can't see us not being the new #1 if we take down Oklahoma, unless possibly Mizzou or Bama win in a blowout.

2. formermav43

formermav43 250+ Posts

I doubt it. If we beat OU and then Mizzou, then yes.

3. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

Yes. If we beat OU, we'll skyrocket to #1 a la Alabama over Georgia.

4. Sooner-Tuf

Sooner-Tuf 1,000+ Posts

I can't understand how UT isn't already No1. I mean its BS that both Oklahoma AND Missouri are ranked ahead of Texas. Everyone is 5-0, and Texas has played a tougher schedule. Texas has Will Muschamp too.

Why isn't Texas No 1?

5. killerfrog17

killerfrog17 250+ Posts

Seriously, there's not a lot separating the top 5 teams. We knock off #1, logically we should be the new #1. Man, we could have a 1-2 matchup against Mizzou.
    But first beat OU.

6. misirlou

misirlou 250+ Posts

Sooner-Tuf,

I think this is where we start saying that Texas is doomed. Pretty sly trying to use our own tricks against us.

Oh yeah, Stoops hates puppies and Jesus.

7. Xcalibur

Xcalibur 250+ Posts

I expect us to be #2 if we beat OU, and #1 after and if we beat Missouri.

8. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

We will probably move up to #2 and then #1 if we beat Mizzou.

9. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

We have the best opportunity of any team to demonstrate if a ranking means anything. Win the next two is all it takes.

That said, OU may be the best team ever. Better even than the recent USC teams. What DON'T they have? I watched part of the 1st quarter Saturday and thought there was a Saturday NFL game being played. Whatever it takes to win on either side of the ball, they have the athletes and the speed to go with the best preparation and game-day coaching in the collegiate ranks. Not only that, they just look good in their uniforms.

They'll be ready, and they will probably put on a show that will be talked about on ESPN until 2 am in the morning.

We'll be lucky to stay on the field with them and not fall out of the Top 10. [​IMG]

But a football is not round. It takes crazy bounces. It might bounce in the Longhorns' favor. If it turns out that way, I can just imagine Chase Daniel and the Missouri Boys coming down here claiming Texas plays dirty or they wouldn't have won the game.

10. UT Padrino

UT Padrino 100+ Posts

I seem to remember something about chickens, hatching, and counting, but I can't quite put a finger on it.

11. HornOnTheBayou

HornOnTheBayou 250+ Posts

The Horns are not going to jump LSU if the Tigers win in Gainesville.

12. RP McMurphy

RP McMurphy 100+ Posts

The polls mean nothing to us now. Winning is all that matters.

13. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

exactly! Win all your games and you will be No. 1 when it matters..... At the end of the season.

14. TexLaw04

TexLaw04 500+ Posts

15. badandi

badandi 100+ Posts

As much as the pollsters hate us, I've been joking that we'll move down in the polls if we beat OU.

16. Sooner-Tuf

Sooner-Tuf 1,000+ Posts

17. HornInOK87

HornInOK87 100+ Posts

Well on the flipside, how far do we fall if we lose to OU? And I'm not really looking for a number as much as I'm looking for a, "we will be above USC still" or "we will be below USC."

18. TexLaw04

TexLaw04 500+ Posts

19. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

I disagree i feel we would move to 3rd and then a win over Missouri would put us at # 1..

20. Tommy_Grand

Tommy_Grand 500+ Posts

Win the next 2 = #1
    Lose the next 2 = #20
    Split = #9

21. adUTleander

adUTleander 250+ Posts

Win the next 2 games and the Horns will be the undisputed #1 in college football.

If we lose both games i think the horns will still be a top 20 team, probably around that 16-19 range. You really can't fall that far if you lose to #1 and #4.

If we split, i think we'll be in the range of 4-7. I think the polls will have us ahead of USC due to the simple fact that we have a quality win on our schedule and a quality loss, and USC has neither.

22. Sgt. Longhorn

Sgt. Longhorn 100+ Posts

The more I think about it the more I'd rather be ranked #2 all year. I don't remember the last time we were #1 during the regular season, but I do remember it didn't last long.

I think #1 is an impediment to a young team. It's a bullseye, but you can't help believing in your ranking so you get a psychological double whammy.

Best case scenario is to be #2 so you have a chip on your shoulder and something to prove. I'd much rather go into the BCS championship game as #2. I think it make the prep much easier on the coaches and gives your team a extra motivation.

At that point both teams are probably deserving of being there so any extra motivation might make the difference.

23. anhyzer

anhyzer 250+ Posts

24. TexLaw04

TexLaw04 500+ Posts

25. tholly

tholly 1,000+ Posts

doesn't really matter. If we, ou, mizz, or tech win out it's a done deal. With our schedule, even 1 loss would most almost certainly leave us as top ranked 1 loss team at end of year. 2 losses, not so much..

26. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I think if we beat okie and Mizzou, we'll be close to number one, but I think one of the two SEC, assuming they don't get beat, would be ahead of us. Even if we get to number two and stay there, though, that would get us where we want to go at the end of the season, and since Bama and LSU play each other, one of those two goes down. There's a lot of if's there, but hey...