Winter Olympics--are you watching?

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by ptownhorn, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

I must admit, I am missing my usual shows. I could care less about this ****.

are you watching?

2. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

eh-- off and on. I like the skiing events, but they just got started yesterday. The Snowboard cross was fun to watch

3. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Nope. I've watched maybe 20 minutes total. Biathlon...seriously, that's a ******* sport? [​IMG]

4. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

I had my house completely cleaned, supper cooked, ready to eat and watch How I met your mother, two and a half men, bing bang theory. all freaking re-runs. damn!!!!

5. Rayug

Rayug 100+ Posts

The ice skating olympics? There's other events? I don't like that they don't want to show events live (Men's downhill) like last night most of the coverage was on pairs ice skating. [​IMG]

6. HoustonHorn93

HoustonHorn93 250+ Posts

I'm sorry but if there's a judge, it's not a sport in my book. It's entertainment.

I have watched some speed skating, luge and hope to see some of the downhill.

7. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

What was the question?

8. 911_horn

911_horn 500+ Posts

I want to watch, but in typical NBC fashion we get more bs stories about **** I do not care about than actual event coverage.

9. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

10. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

the ice skating is all about ratings. if they wanted the true sportsfan audience they would change up their coverage entirely.

i actually watched a lot of the cross country events, including the biathlon, and found it pretty entertaining..... towards the end of course.

but the figure skating and speed skating wears me down. i realize speed skating is a fast and difficult sport, but it is just really boring to me..... even moreso than the biathlon.

11. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I've been watching for the most part. I like the Olympics, and I admit that the Games bring out the jingo in me.

[​IMG]

12. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Can somebody teach broadcasters in general and motor-mouth Bob Costas in particular to OCCASIONALLY SHUT UP during coverage of ceremonies? During the opening or medal ceremonies Costas feels compelled to fill every second of air time with inanities

"Miles Escargot, the bronze medalist from Quebec, must feel redemption after the World Championships where he didn't qualify because he was bereaved over the death of his dear friend, Mimi. Mimi, of course, was his poodle who had been to every competition with him since he was a young boy. There's the prime minister who loved watching the Olympics as a young woman studying law..."

SHUT UP. Sometimes it's okay to let TV do what TV does- bring us a scene for seeing and hearing with no need of mediation.

The Olympics is too much time spent in the studio with Bob, in the field gathering local color, watching up close and personal pieces bent to make an athletic contest seem like a fated event.

Or, maybe, I'm getting crotchety. [​IMG]

13. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

14. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

I watch it on and off. I'll watch one or two runs for the racing events, then I get bored.

15. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

Absolutely watching it. It may have judges, but wtf. And It may not be your cup of tea, which is fine, but don't mock it. These folks have spent most of their lives training their asses off for one shot. They are all wearing the red, white, and blue and I am gonna cheer like hell for them. I was at Buffalo Wild Wings sunday nite. Some guy asked me how I can watch that crap instead of the NBA all star game. Too me that game was crap. It was a bunch of overpaid spoiled brats who get together once a year to pat each other on the back and bask in each other’s greatness. Yeah right. I may not have their athletic ability, but I can throw an effing ball into a hole. In fact, you put my 47 year old fat *** on a free throw line against Shaq and I will smoke him every time. You know what I can't do? Hurdle down a frozen mountain without dying or stand on a pair of ice skates. If it means enough to these kids that they cry every time they are on that podium and hear the National Anthem, then it means enough to support them. I will get off of my soapbox now.

And if that was not enough to make you wanna watch, at least you guys anyway, check out this link. The Link

16. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, I like a lot of the sports, if only in the Olympics. It's still the Olympics. Can't wait for the curling competition. What drama!

17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Won't watch a single minute of it unless I'm at my parents' house and they've got it on.

18. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

I love the Olympics....it's only every 4 years and I like cheering for the good ol USA [​IMG]
    The story about the Canadian Gold Medal winner in Men's Moguls was pretty uplifting though...made me work harder today.

19. crazyquiverlips

crazyquiverlips 100+ Posts

Never watching NBC again.

20. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

The moguls competition was pretty awesome.

21. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

22. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

Curling.................now THAT'S what I'm talking about! [​IMG]

23. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

24. ACuriae

ACuriae 500+ Posts

My wife and I watch as much of it as we can. Then again, I've skied all my life and we went skiing on our honeymoon. We enjoy cold weather sports. We don't ice skate or snowboard, but I barreled down mountains on skis in my younger days and appreciate how much athleticism it takes to do what those men and women do.

BTW, biathlon, like many Olympic sports has a basis in military training. It just isn't as old as javelin, for example.

25. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

26. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Sniff. The Marathon, my friend, is tied to messaging more than warfare. Pheidippides was a great messenger. His story is here:

Oh, the value of a Classics minor.

Carry on, and all that. I'll go back to cultivating my orchids and translating Sophocles into Tagalog.

27. led224

led224 100+ Posts

I love the Olympics and have watch as much coverage as possible.

I am particularly excited to see what Shaun White and the other adrenaline junkies are going to do on the half pipe tonight. I’m also looking forward to more short track speed skating.

28. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

at least LOST was on last night

29. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

Not only am I watching the Olympics, I'm here in Vancouver/Whistler watching it live and in person. It's badass. I suggest everyone check it out sometime- both for the events and the parties.

30. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Dancing with the stars, international edition, on ice.